Terraria: Otherworld Announced - a New Title in The Terraria Universe

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria: Otherworld Announced - a New Title in The Terraria Universe

Re-logic have made it clear that Terraria: Otherworld is not Terraria 2, but more of a Terraria spin-off.

Terraria sure has come a long way since three years ago, when developer Re-logic full-blown Terraria sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119781-Terraria-Creator-Confirms-No-New-PC-Content] we've heard about.

Terraria: Otherworld is, in Re-logic's own words, a new game in the Terraria universe. What it isn't is Terraria 2, but rather a slightly different type of sandbox game set in an alternate dimension to the original. You can check out the reveal trailer above, which while certainly having that familiar Terraria engine, does have a lot more of a "smoother" and "darker" feel to it.

[gallery=3828]

"Combining elements of sandbox gameplay with role-playing and strategy elements, Terraria: Otherworld explores the Terraria experience in an innovative and unique way - providing a fresh approach to the "open world" genre," said Re-logic in an official blog post [http://www.terrariaotherworld.com/?].

"Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world - now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself - to its original splendor."

So, it looks like this game will be kind of a "Terraria 1.5". We don't have any information on when, or what platforms, it will release on at this stage, but can expect Re-logic to update us in the near future.

Source: Re-logic [http://www.terrariaotherworld.com/?]

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Did have lots of fun with the original Terarria, this could get me back into it. Also, if this means another letsplay with Jesse Cox and Totalbiscuit, then all the better.

Now if Starbound gets a full release before this, then that could possibly change things. Unless there's a long gap between the games, so I don't get burned out by them.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
let me just hop on the band wagon of, "it looks interesting, I like some of the changes from the original they made. I just wish they stuck with it the first time and finished it"

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Interesting, very interesting. I like the improved animations and the art style looks much more polished than the original without losing its distinctive style. I would love to get my hands on an alpha or beta version of this, especially since I know Terraria's devs have a better track record of releasing updates compared to, say, Starbound's devs.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Terraria, I am looking forward to this one. Hopefully it will have multi player as well as my girl actually loved Terraria and it is quite fun to play with others. Looks like it will be a bit of a wait, though.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Tsaba said:
let me just hop on the band wagon of, "it looks interesting, I like some of the changes from the original they made. I just wish they stuck with it the first time and finished it"
I'm confused by this. Are you saying you believe they haven't finished it or that Redigit never should have paused development?

If the former, the 1.1, 1.2, upcoming 1.3, and bevy of holiday events would disagree. If the latter, does the fact that Red and his team have more than quadrupled the amount of content in the game not negate that?

And as to the pause, Red gave his reasons here [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-fellow-terrarians.81455/] and here [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-fellow-terrarians.81455/].

I know many in the community saw fit to shit all over the man and his decision, but considering what he did prior to his hiatus, the reasons for the hiatus, and what he and his team have done since then, I think people can cut the man a little slack, in the very least.

Anyway, OT:

I'm really excited for this. I've been eagerly awaiting the 1.3 update, with the knowledge that Terraria 2 was somewhere on the horizon, but I was not expecting this. It basically addresses the one thing I felt was sorely missing from Terraria. A solid, meaningful 'quest' system.

The boss fights were always cool, as were the Dungeon, Underworld, and numerous other mini-events and invasions, but they never felt cohesive. Even combined, they never felt like even the shallowest of objective-based story modes.

As such, count me as fairly intrigued by this Otherworld spinoff. I'm curious if it's running on the current (soon to be greatly updated) engine or if it's running on an early build of the Terraria 2 engine.

ghalleon0915 said:
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Terraria, I am looking forward to this one. Hopefully it will have multi player as well as my girl actually loved Terraria and it is quite fun to play with others. Looks like it will be a bit of a wait, though.
They've emphasized the cooperative nature of the story mode in Otherword. So yes, it will be multiplayer.

;)

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Super Cyborg said:
Did have lots of fun with the original Terarria, this could get me back into it. Also, if this means another letsplay with Jesse Cox and Totalbiscuit, then all the better.

Now if Starbound gets a full release before this, then that could possibly change things. Unless there's a long gap between the games, so I don't get burned out by them.
if Jessie and TB play this again ill buy the dam game just to support my entertainment.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Zacharious-khan said:
Wasn't Starbound Terraria 2? so that would make this Terraria 3 right?
Not even close.

With 353 hours on Terraria...this will be cheap entertainment for me :>

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
Terraria was actually good so i wouldn't consider Starbound as the second Terraria.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
If I may borrow a word from Twitch chat...

Kreygasm

Terraria is my favorite game ever. More spinoffs, more updates, more everything, please.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I like both terraria and Starbound since terarria has a nice focus on fantasy on a single plain while Starbound has you going from planet to planet which I really dig and love along with both games having nice soundtrack but Starbound lacks in updates, content and depth that terraria has been building up the past few years, even after Terarria went dormant for a while the devs came back and provided massive update chunks and now they have a spinoff in the works, meanwhile Chucklefish has teams (possible the same team on Starbound) working on multiple games that aren't anywhere close to being finished, stretching everything too far and thin which has proven in the past to not work very well at all and lead to the demise of some games.

I don't want Starbound to die per say, it's the only terraria type game in space that appeals to me (the look alike terria in space does not appeal to me) and fills that void exactly as I want it to but the lack of updates, content and overall grind can annoy me and put me off from playing it, they need to add in proper multiplayer/co-op support, make the game elss buggy, put Linux/Open GL on hold until they get one evrsion stable because it's obvious that trying to do both means both are suffering at the same time and slow everything to a major crawl.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
NickBrahz said:
Zacharious-khan said:
Terraria was actually good so i wouldn't consider Starbound as the second Terraria.
What was wrong with Starbound? IMO it was better in every way and they recently put out a huge update making it even better.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, considering Starbound crashed and burned (I tried the recent update and stopped playing for the same reason as before; I just didn't feel rewarded for exploring), I might as well take a look at this.

If it's been announced today, that means it likely won't even be in beta until this time next year at the earliest.

Welp. At least that's one more game on the horizon. (I'm up to TWO now!)

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
gamegod25 said:
What was wrong with Starbound? IMO it was better in every way and they recently put out a huge update making it even better.
I made a few notes during the 45 hours I spent playing it post-update:

Needs less WoW fetch-quest bullshit
Having to mine up literally EVERYTHING worthwhile is dull
Monster drops need to matter in terms of progression
Weapons are pretty damn boring overall
Fast weapons are completely useless due to flat damage reduction from enemy armor
Trying to find specific race dungeons/villages is SUPER frustrating
Planets having unchangeable spawn-points is asinine
'Game World' is far too segmented
Universe feels devoid of life - may tie into above point
Environments are decent, but lack variety and get boring fast
Where's the mini-map?

On-topic though: It looks like Terraria with smoother animations and a fresh coat of paint - which is fine by me! :D
I also wouldn't be surprised to see this get a release before Starbound is finished, at the rate Chucklefish is going.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
EbonBehelit said:
gamegod25 said:
I made a few notes during the 45 hours I spent playing it post-update:

Needs less WoW fetch-quest bullshit
Having to mine up literally EVERYTHING worthwhile is dull
Monster drops need to matter in terms of progression
Weapons are pretty damn boring overall
Fast weapons are completely useless due to flat damage reduction from enemy armor
Trying to find specific race dungeons/villages is SUPER frustrating
Planets having unchangeable spawn-points is asinine
'Game World' is far too segmented
Universe feels devoid of life - may tie into above point
Environments are decent, but lack variety and get boring fast
Where's the mini-map?

On-topic though: It looks like Terraria with smoother animations and a fresh coat of paint - which is fine by me! :D
I also wouldn't be surprised to see this get a release before Starbound is finished, at the rate Chucklefish is going.
They're going over the quest system, and added "hub" stations via gates that allow you to gather multiple quests at once, and fiddle through. The worlds have multiple monster types per world now ( I can't remember if it's day/night as well, but depth will bring about harder monsters. They also have giant monsters and zone specific monsters (like the sewers).

Weapons in Starbound are no worse then those of Terraria. In Terraria I stopped caring about finding new weapons, but Starbound still surprises me with finding new weapons ( I have a great sword that flings 5 phantasm bones every swing). Even the guns vary in range and specialty. I don't find myself stagnating on one weapon I'm good at, and try new things in it.

You do have to mine up a lot, but the towns matter more now, and you can find blueprints a lot easier, and also you can buy more essentials at mega marts at the Gates. Crafting is expansive, but mining can be fun if you really take to it. The new mini-zones on each planet help elevate the boredom of just digging. I've found whole underground cities, boneyards, abandoned labs, and even a buried sea..

Fast weapons have had their niche expanded, they fire more shots before emptying and tend to have really good specialties ( I have a snot gun that fires like a machine gun, and is awesome), daggers can be paired with a shield and the shields matter.

As for finding specific races or dungeons.. I'm afraid you have me there, Starbound requires a bit of serious dedication to world hopping and map making. I've seen whole stars dedicated to a single race, and I've seen hub worlds where there are a few races living together.. I know that you don't want to screw with the Avian planets, as their energy weapons hurt a lot..

The latest patch expanded on the environments, and I've been having a lot of fun exploring. I've laid waste to a mushroom village in a poisonous mushroom swamp, I've built towers in the middle of giant rose forests, and fought tooth and nail against a sewer filled with living waste and flame throwing spider droids.

I guess the biggest difference between Terraria and Starbound, is in Terraria you're THE HERO, and everything is attuned toward being the hero and beating the big bad. In Starbound you're a bloke with a ship, once you come out of the mines and can travel planet to planet it's up to you to be whatever you want to be. Kill a town, strip mine a planet.. Hunt the dangerous wildlife.. It doesn't hold your hand, and you set what you want to be..

I like both games a lot, but I find myself enjoying Starbound a lot more at the moment. Terraria: Otherworld might be enough to sway me into running it for extended periods of time..

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This looks interesting. got to finish the original terraria faster it seems. i guess i know what i will be playing tonight

P.S. by finish i dont mean to kill all bosses, i meant do everything i want in it, including but not limited to: test whether there is more water or lava by converting everything to obsidian.