**Terror in Oslo** UPDATE: Anders Breivik gets 8 weeks of custody

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Forgive me, but I disagree with you Fred.

Ignore the games part, and look at his other interests. Among his favourite books are "Kritik der Reinen Zukunft" and Shakespeare, and he likes Stargate. Hes not just a madman, hes a stupid one too. When people like this eventually flip, they usually fit into one of the following; a) completely fucking bonkers; b) mad, but extremely intelligent and finally c) mad and thinks hes intelligent even though hes a dumbass. Mr Breivik is without a doubt part of the third category.

Point being, this guy would have ended up doing something like this with or without MW2, and it would have probably been around this time too, I dont think violent video games hastened its coming. Or, alternatively, hes got even less working brain cells than I am assuming and he cant tell the difference between being rewarded in a game and being rewarded in real life for the same thing (which I dont think, if hes capable of reading a book hes capable of seeing the parallel between those two things is non existent).

Hey, I hate governmental control, multiculturalism and im a fundamentalist christian, but I like american TV shows, WoW and Modern Warfare 2! Yeah, and I adore Ron Paul, Ulrike Meinhof and the black metal band Gorgoroth.

Fucking hell Anders. Get it together. Thank god not every dumbass individual goes on a killing spree.

But anyway, a question seemingly no one has asked coming up right here, how the fuck did they manage to plant those bombs and "organize" this killing spree? The reason I say they is because I find it hard to believe he did this all by himself. Question is, who was he working with? And what for? Probably for a better Norway, in which the traditional religion that has been honored by ancestors is upheld (which is completely fucking wrong since Christianity was pretty much forced on norwegians but fuck, nationalists have never been the brightest), and bad influences from other parts of the world are kept away. Except for literature and bad Tv shows and all that stuff that tends to befriend the youth to other cultures.

FUCK, I cant get over how fucking backward this guys beliefs and values are. GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE.
Fred? Why am I Fred now?

Anyways, that aside, I think I was unclear. I don't think the game had anything to do with him doing this in the first place. My point was that it does seem a bit similar in the way it was handled (going into a crowded place then just gunning people down, though now that I've heard more it sounds like he got people together before doing it using his disguise). But I don't think the games actually caused or helped push him to do the horrible thing/s he did. That's just how some of the media in the US will likely treat it. There's a part from the series 'Fry in America' that sort of rings true with that point, where we in the US tend to lean towards finding the easy answers, even if they aren't the right answers. In other words, we're likely to like simple to explain things like "video games are why things are bad" or, before games "movies/rock music/tv are why things are bad." Not saying everyone in the US is like this, but as a whole, that seems to hold true. So the media will likely grasp a small detail like the fact he liked games such as Modern Warfare (no matter how true they are) and run with it in the worst way (I foresee Fox News being the first to draw this conclusion). Hope that makes my point a bit more clear.

I do agree with most of what you said though (though you weren't the first to point out he likely wasn't working alone). This does seem like something that would be hard for a single person to pull off like he did, at least in my opinion. Hopefully he was working alone so this likely won't happen again, but I doubt it.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Arsen said:
How can you be a "Conservative Christian" and an "Extreme Leftist" at the same time?

This sucks. Of all countries on this earth they are one I have undying respect for. Very open-minded, good people. Good musicians as well. My greatest, God given condolences towards the families of the slain, the victims, and this great land.

But on another note, why must we do this "conservative VS liberal" thing now? Both sides have their points and merits...so trying to claim "everyone of X group behaves this way" isn't the way to solve problems. It's a bullshit, surface level argument.
he's extreme rightist, the main post is wrong. ^^

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
qeinar said:
this just in: 80 people confirmed dead on "utøya". (where the bastard shot people).
Do you have a source? Not saying you're wrong, just want to read / see it myself if possible.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
qeinar said:
this just in: 80 people confirmed dead on "utøya". (where the bastard shot people).
This is unreal...

Best of the 3 said:
Do you have a source? Not saying you're wrong, just want to read / see it myself if possible.
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.7723555

Sep 11, 2009
dfphetteplace said:
I saw that after I posted, but I didn't jump to the last page before posting it. I probably should have.
Shame on you!

qeinar said:
Yea, just read it. And they even expect to find more who are dead! This is horrible!
Arsen said:
How can you be a "Conservative Christian" and an "Extreme Leftist" at the same time?
Pinkamena has been made aware of this, be he is sleeping! ^^

starslasher

May 21, 2011
I'm a bit surprised about how widespread the news of this tragic event has spread throughout the world. It seems to be pretty domestic, yet non-Norwegians have a lot to say about it. Certainly, it's unnerving not only by the violence caused in it all, but in the circumstances that it happened in, like being in Norway of all places. So I'm thinking of this more in terms of how us, the global community (at least here on the Escapist forums), are reacting to this apparently domestic terror attack.

Jerubbaal said:
Islam is actually a religion of peace, the only parts of the Qu'ran that actually talk about fighting states to fight your oppressors but only fight if you are attacked first. (I imagine 'You' means You as a person, not as a collective of persons)

Religious extremists of any faith will bend the texts of their holy book to mean what they want it to mean and the only people who follow those extremst teachings are those too stupid, lazy or ignorant to read the thing themselves.
You've clearly never actually read the Qu'ran if you're going to say that it only justifies violence in cases of oppression/retaliation/self-defense.[/quote]

For me, as a Muslim, Islam is a religion of peace as well as war, of life as well as death, of poverty as well as prosperity, etc. it makes me roll my eyes when i hear people talk about Islam as being a religion of peace, love, happiness, blah blah blah as well as when people rail against Islam as being only about misogyny, death, war, yadda yadda yadda. But this all seems to be off topic, considering that we know how more about this brevjik guy.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:
well it's hard if you don't understand norwegian, but there's a press conferance atm: http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/live

this is the last number the police gave, but their expecting the numbers to rise a bit.

Sep 11, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslobomben/artikkel.php?artid=10080616

Here's one with a number neatly placed in the headlines. ^^

If you want to read more, you do have google translate, doubt it will make much sense though.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
qeinar said:
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:
well it's hard if you don't understand norwegian, but there's a press conferance atm: http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/live

this is the last number the police gave, but their expecting the numbers to rise a bit.
Is alright. Eiter google translate or my mum are about to beco my new best friend. x3

And yeah, they will probably rise. 10 from the bomb, 80 confirmed for the shooting. Add probably 10 more unconfirmed ones. I'm gonna go aroun the 100 dead mark. It really is horrible.

Sep 11, 2009
Arontala said:
I seriously want to strangle anyone and everyone who is blaming this on the "muslims". I even see some in this thread, and it's making me incredibly fucking angry.
We haven't seen them for a couple of pages, so yay us!

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
A conservative Christian who's an extreme leftist.

Isn't that an oxymoron? ;P

Unless the leftist of Norway has the same belief as the religious right of America.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Savber said:

Unless the leftist of Norway has the same belief as the religious right of America.
I'll save Killerowl a post and reiterate what he said:

Pinkamena made a mistake. PM was sent. And I would like to meet a conserative leftist.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:

Is alright. Eiter google translate or my mum are about to beco my new best friend. x3

And yeah, they will probably rise. 10 from the bomb, 80 confirmed for the shooting. Add probably 10 more unconfirmed ones. I'm gonna go aroun the 100 dead mark. It really is horrible.
A lot of people were trying to swim away and were shot so they probably need divers to find more of the dead people. if you search for "atleast 80 killed in norway" you'll find some english sources. ^^

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Christian and an Extreme left?

Wow, and he killed over a Hundred people, most of them children. It his damn fault though.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Savber said:

I'll save Killerowl a post and reiterate what he said:

Pinkamena made a mistake. PM was sent. And I would like to meet a conserative leftist.
haha... thanks.

I was too lazy to search the thread.

Glad to clear that up. ;P

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
qeinar said:
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:
Best of the 3 said:
qeinar said:

A lot of people were trying to swim away and were shot so they probably need divers to find more of the dead people. if you search for "atleast 80 killed in norway" you'll find some english sources. ^^
Oh yeah, it was on an island wasn't it? Those poor people =(