Terry Pratchett Makes His Own Heavenly Sword

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
...I want to do this now.

I really want to do this. In fact, I wish I could convert my garage into a proper mini-blacksmith.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Wow. Every time he does something it's more awesome than the last. It's a shame his popularity isn't what it should be.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
I woulnd't call myself an expert in the field, but wouldn't adding meteorite to the sword weaken it? From where I stand that was done purely for the coolness of it.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Arachon said:
She also wrote the story in Mirror's Edge... Take that for what it's worth...
I get the feeling the story was limited by the number of levels the developers could make. She had a much longer, broader scope in mind; the game's format didn't really allow for large amounts of dialogue, and ends on a very open-ended moment. If you've seen this Extra Credits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1887-Video-Games-Bad-Writing] (specifically 2:09-3:45), I think she fell afoul of all the reasons why writers struggle with game writing, not because she's a bad writer.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
I get the feeling the story was limited by the number of levels the developers could make. She had a much longer, broader scope in mind; the game's format didn't really allow for large amounts of dialogue, and ends on a very open-ended moment. If you've seen this Extra Credits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1887-Video-Games-Bad-Writing] (specifically 2:09-3:45), I think she fell afoul of all the reasons why writers struggle with game writing, not because she's a bad writer.
Yeah I would guess that's the reason as well, not saying she's a bad writer really, but Mirror's Edge did have a kind of a "rushed" feeling, which the entire team should take the blame for.

Still, I liked the game, it had this wonderful atmosphere about it.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
Well that is preety damn cool, however the british government considers swords as knives ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE. Oh well.

simply_simple

Aug 28, 2008
I love this man. What a hero! I just finished reading his new book 'I Sall Wear Midnight'. It's really good. Keep on defending the peace Sir.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Booyah! I didn't know the man could smelt. Go figure...i'm also pissed that i didn't find out about his Knighthood till just now. Congrats Sir Prachett, both on the sword and the creation of the best fantasy realm i've ever read about.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
All we need now is for him to forge himself a suit of armour. Unlikely, but t'would be awesome if he did. His Alzheimers is a horrendous shame though. If only there was a way to use the Trousers of Time theory to manipulate space and/or time in order to access that alternate timeline in which he doesn't have Alzheimers.

Alistar

Aug 20, 2010
Terry Pratchett shows his larger than life personality with this quality shiny.

It is well known in China, several of the "Magic" state treasure swords were made with meteorite ore, some were thought to be cursed -think Radioactive :p
And the concentrations of heavy metals make for a heavier and harder alloy steel blade (think depleted Uranium).
Such blades were thought to be vorpal for its sharpness.
And the satisfaction of handing it down through the generations, I think the fact that he had it made clearly for his own size and strength a very nice touch.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
coldfrog said:
It is a very pretty sword. I hope it doesn't talk, those things are the worst, especially if they get demanding.
some talking swords are pretty sweet though... http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20080610

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Zakarath said:
coldfrog said:
It is a very pretty sword. I hope it doesn't talk, those things are the worst, especially if they get demanding.
some talking swords are pretty sweet though... http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20080610
Nice timing, I just started reading this again from the beginning! I forgot how much there was and how quickly it came on. I mean, the whole K'Z'K thing started so early... Plus I stopped somewhere and no way was I going to try and figure out where that was.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
I read this on Topless Robot a couple of days ago, and I'm still as struck with just how damn AWESOME this whole sword thing is as I was then. I mean, seriously -- I adore Terry Pratchett anyway, but now he's made his own sword; and not just a sword, but a sword made out of space. Good God. We will never be able to live up to this man's amazingness, people. I'm just going to stop here, because I know that I'm going to descend into fangirlish babble any moment now.

gristledemon

Jul 4, 2010
SomeBritishDude said:
Oh Pratchett. I smile with relief whenever I see anything from him, whether it be a bit of news or a new book or even a kick ass sword. It will be sad the day when his alzheimer's takes him away from us.
ditto dude

I am a few years behind as i just got Thud, awesome as always tho.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
So his daughter wrote the story of a cursed girl unlocking the power of the gods, and having received awesome divine intervention and whiped out an army, she declares herself an atheist? I kid you not. Anyone I know would convert TO the religion of whichever god actually showed his face. But no. She proves herself to the Heavenly Sword, gains the unearthly powers of the Chosen One, and defeats an evil demon. "You saved us, Chosen one! Thank the Gods!" "Gods? No way. Must've been the Wheaties I had for breakfast." Don't get me wrong, that game was epic. I just hated the ending.

OT: He got knighted and MADE HIS OWN SWORD?! That. Is. Epic.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
"We should make him a thunderbolt iron sword."
"Oh? How do you do that then?"
"Well you take some thunderbolt iron... and then you make a sword out of it."
-Wyrd Sisters.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
That's pretty cool actually. I like that he used an old style kiln too.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
That sword is destined to be plunged into the heart of the first vampire, releasing a wave of purifying energy that will cure all vampires and save humanity.