TES IV: Oblivion: What is the opinion about it?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
FirstNameLastName said:
IceForce said:

As for the game world, it's pretty boring and unremarkable. The entire map was created using an auto terrain generator, and then the various towns and hamlets were then plonked down in their respective locations. So everywhere in between there's just nothing to see and nothing interesting to do.
Is there any source for this, because that sounds illogical. I don't doubt the base map was created with a generator, as many large open world maps are, but I'm pretty sure they would have gone over the map and manually tweaked the terrain, altered elements, added and removed others, etc.
I've no real source. (Other than something that I may have read somewhere, but I might be misremembering that.)

That did indeed do what you said, - tweaking the map after generation. But that's all they did. They added nothing else to the wilderness beyond fixing the terrain generator's mistakes.

So, for example, it's impossible to make an Oblivion video series like this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBMxuCsa_iZpSpUf-iiaNvLt1iNno8oFl
There just aren't any "curiosities" to be found in the wilderness of the world of TES4.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Think again. Actually, Oblivion, in terms of mods, has it much worse off than Skyrim since the engine is hard-locked to only use 1.7 GBs of RAM, MAXIMUM. Once it passes that limit, it immediately crashes. No ifs, ands, or buts. This sometimes severely limits how many mods Oblivion can have going at once.
I meant more in terms of what issues could be feasibly fixed, such as the levelling system compared to something that you couldn't like Skyrim's fuck-awful guild questlines.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Oblivion was so unstable I could barely even play it.

What I did play of it.. well, I wasn't too fond of it. It was so watered down.

I also didn't like the progression system nor enemy scaling.

What I -did- like was the magic system.

All in all, inferior to Morrowind and Skyrim.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I meant more in terms of what issues could be feasibly fixed, such as the levelling system compared to something that you couldn't like Skyrim's fuck-awful guild questlines.
Well, even then, I'd definitely say they're mostly the same on that count.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I remember really enjoying Oblivion back when I played it. I'd played Morrowind a bit before playing Oblivion and while the world and narrative in the former is second-to-none, the fact that Oblivion had far, far better gameplay endeared it a lot to me. Sure, Cyrodiil is a generic medieval-fantasy setting, the plot is nothing special and the dungeons are pretty repetitive but I wouldn't have called any of them bad at all, and combined with having much for accessible gameplay meant I found Oblivion pretty good fun. I've never been able to go back to it though, I will admit, since it all feels rather clunky these days.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Oblivion is inferior to Skyrim and Morrowind sure, but those are amazing games and Oblivion is also amazing.

Funny thing about Elder Scrolls games. People say they are bad and that they 'only played this one for 300 hours' Elder Scrolls games are great investments for time to money.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I feel like it's an in-between to Morrowind and Skyrim in what those games were trying to accomplish. While Oblivion's quests weren't the best, they were better than Skyrim's. While its combat felt kind of floaty, it was better than Morrowind's. I found Morrowind's combat worse than Daggerfall's so there's that.

One thing I found objectively bad about Oblivion was the setting. Compared to Skyrim and especially Morrowind, its pretty generic (even more than Daggerfall) that it hardly warrants the exploration that Bethesda RPGs are known for.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I recall enjoying Oblivion a lot more than Morrowind and even more than Skyrim but it's been a long time since I've played it. I liked the character progression in Oblivion but my favorite thing about it was how free and enjoyable exploration was. I've said this before a bunch of times but I absolutely love exploring for X hours, finding a door inside of a tree stump and realizing that I've stumbled into the final room of a dungeon that some poor developer meant for me to meander through for ump-teen minutes.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Zen Bard said:
Like all Elder Scrolls games, Oblivion has its Pros and Cons;

Pros
...The majority of the quest line arcs are interesting and well written. They weren't as drawn out and cumbersome as those in Morrowind, but not as simplistic as the "go here/get this/kill that" type in Skyrim. Some even had some very imaginative twists. You may also find yourself embarking on a quest when you least expect it...like after you've moved into your new house or rented a room at an inn.
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Pump it up with a load of mods for graphics, levelling and combat first, but really the quests are pretty damn cool, can't speak about Morrowind, but far above the level of Skyrim's randomly-generated-fetch-quest-a-thon. But seriously, them quests, even the smallest quests have a little personal feeling to them, like one where you kill a monster for an inn-keeper and get a special recipe for potato bread. And factions actually have progression, so you don't immediately become King of the Universe 2 quests in.

The nice thing about Oblivion, quite a few of it's flaws can be fixed via mods, whereas Skyrim can't really do that.

Also, people really ***** on about the story, it's actually pretty solid and fun to play through.
Actually, they're very fair points.

Morrowind still towers above Oblivion & Skyrim for my own personal tastes. If Morrowind had Skyrim's combat, I'd say it would be no contest.

But that said, on reflection I do remember really enjoying some of the Oblivion quests. I definitely found them more interesting than a lot of Skyrim's.

I guess someone could actually quite enjoy Oblivion still, if they played it in a certain way (for me, that would be sticking to the quests, and adding the right mods)

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
I believe Oblivion has aged very well. If it had been released today instead of the ten or so years ago, I'd eagerly spend hundreds of hours of my life playing it. Being set in the middle of Tamriel, it contains many of the landscapes of the surrounding provinces. Seeing the White-Gold Tower from a distance while I was romping around was always amazing to me.

I actually loved the leveling system because your actions mattered. What you chose to level and when you chose to level them mattered. I felt like I was creating a unique character. The music and atmosphere are fantastic and I'd highly recommend this game to anyone.

To me it's still a better game than any released on PS4/Xbox 1 save perhaps The Witcher 3.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Oblivion, my first taste of the ES universe and I suspect that for many Morrowind was their first taste of the ES universe, I suspect that is why so many folk rate the game over Oblivion. I played Morrowind shortly after Skyrim was released and it was bad, I mean really really bad. Rose tinted glasses in effect I suspect, the same can be said of me and Skyrim, I admit that Skyrim is indeed superior to Oblivion in many ways but end of the day I still consider Oblivion to be the vastly better game.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim I would say Oblivion is the best in the series. The combat system is better than Morrowind and Skyrim isn't playable without mods due to spiders. Yes Morrowind has an awesome setting, there's no denying that. The combat system was just awful though unless you used glitches to artificially raise your level. Skyrim had spiders making the tutorial impossible without mods.

Soul of Cinder

May 10, 2016
It surely isn?t the best of games, but I spent an insane amount ploughing through it and have to say that the Shivering Isles DLC is the best in the TES series and improved the main game vastly.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I found the world of Oblivion really dull to explore which to me is the main appeal of the Elder Scrolls games. The planes of Oblivion were fun the first few times but quickly became dull and repetitive.

I also hated the way that levelling worked.

Apparently the Shivering Isles DLC and the guild quests are really good but I never did them.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I find it the best balance of the games. Not as obtuse as Morrowind but far better world, guilds and variety than Skyrim.

If you can get past the aged parts, Morrowind is easily the best one.