TESO going for microtransactions as well as subscription fees

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
well that answers whether I will buy it, I will not buy a game which intends me to pay up to 3 times (to buy, to play and then microtransactions on top of that)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That triple dip is quickly becoming sauce of the year it seems, even in non MMO games.
What can you say.... it's every accountants wet dream, but as a user you might want to hold of a couple of months until their the hype fizzed out and they just got F2P.

SteffeM

Aug 23, 2013
I would have had some understanding for their decision if it wasn't for the fact that they defended the subscription model by saying that:

"We don't want players to hit monetisation fees when they're in the world."

and:

"We wanted to do monetization outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 percent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."

Seems very hypocritical to me.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
It is tradition in the MMORPG industry not to learn from the mistakes of others. Going for a subscription fee model + microtransactions, with so many competitors around, gives me the impression that ZeniMax is being rather over confident.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I guess they think if WoW can get away with it they can too, which is dumb since your paying for a continued service so things like name changes and sever migration are things I've always thought should be included in that sub fee.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Corven said:
I guess they think if WoW can get away with it they can too, which is dumb since your paying for a continued service so things like name changes and sever migration are things I've always thought should be included in that sub fee.
There are actually some very good reasons to charge for name changes and server migration besides plain old greed, but I've got a fairly old school take on the genre. Allowing lots of player movement totally screws up communities, and allowing lots of name changes gives assholes an easy route to a clean slate.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
This sounds like a back up plan incase subs drop dramatically as was the case with SWTOR. They could still keep the game afloat with microtransations. And if subs DON'T suddenly drop, well then they have a nice extra source of income. Pretty clever actually. And it's easier to adjust to a game with microtransations if they've been there from the beginning.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm perfectly okay with the subscription model, hell just last night I redeemed my early access code for Final Fantasy XIV. But a subscription AND microtransactions? No. They fan just fuck right off. They said the reason they stuck to subscriptions because they wanted players to ahve 100% of the game, so they should just fucking fork it over.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
OpticalJunction said:
This sounds like a back up plan incase subs drop dramatically as was the case with SWTOR. They could still keep the game afloat with microtransations. And if subs DON'T suddenly drop, well then they have a nice extra source of income. Pretty clever actually. And it's easier to adjust to a game with microtransations if they've been there from the beginning.
They could have devised a microtransaction model ahead of time without actually implementing it. I'll agree having a contingency plan is smart, but actually putting it in is just a great way to piss people off.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
If the cost is for server transfers/name changes then I've no issue with it. There are good reasons not to make such accommodations free. However, if it extends that to things like customization of gear, they can screw off. What they define as 'core' and what I define as 'core' could very well be two totally different things, and so his answer leaves a great deal to be desired.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Bit misleading. I would expect to pay for things like server transfers and name changes. When I hear 'microtransactions' I think XP boosters, gold keys or plain loot purchases, and there's been no mention of anything like that.

Not that I don't fully expect such things in the future. Nothing has changed; subscriptions are still unsustainable for the majority of games. This recent resurgence of the subscription model is only a temporary thing. Rather than starting as a free game it turns out you get the most money by starting with a sub and then moving to F2P or B2P later on.

theartknife

Sep 13, 2010
totally read that as TESCO (British supermarket chain for those who don't know) and was like "wait..... what?"

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Zenimax right now:

They give us all this BS about providing a premium service with their subscriptions, and then put microtransactions in anyway.

Just play Guild Wars 2 or stick with WoW. It's clear Zenimax only want money.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
And here I thought that maybe this one wouldn't be doomed to fail from the beggining.

Seriously, 2011 and 2012 were chock-full of MMOs that did this stuff. They all failed, without exception. The only even moderate success was Guild Wars 2, which ditched the subscription model. If The Old Republic, with the power of the Star Wars franchise, the BioWare name, and being the closest to KotOR 3 we're going to get any time soon failed, how the hell can Zenimax think that being backed solely by The Elder Scrolls, which barely anyone outside the core gaming circle knew about until Skyrim came out, and having an even shitter business model will work?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This is going to sound crazy, but I think I'll wait to see what types of things they put in their microtransaction store before I get pissed off. Or maybe I won't get pissed since I probably wasn't going to play this game anyway, so what do I care?

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Didn't they say they were going to do the subscription to avoid these micro transactions...