Test Your Mental Might With The Escapist's First-Ever Puzzle Adventure!

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
Ah just solved 4-2. Kudos for the challenge. I especially liked how the final clue related to the game. Very clever.

For anyone who might need a hint.
Be sure to follow your trips through the countries very closely. I think you'll find it'll help in more ways than 1.

fallouthirteen

Dec 8, 2008
I actually liked 4-2, it was pretty easy. That said, I think perhaps section 2-2 of that puzzle may be missing one or more points, at the very least one should be listed again, maybe.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
idiot445 said:
Trivun said:
Haha, I managed to get 4-1! I think I'll leave 4-2 for tomorrow now, it's almost 6am after all :p. I need to get some sleep, Christmas shopping now...

For those who are completely stuck...
A cipher is the key, but in multiple layers. Try looking at the earliest uses of ciphers to find the one you need. Military strategy will help you find the right cipher...

To the people at The Escapist, kudos for trying, but next time try something more difficult, then maybe your layers of codes won't get cracked so easily :p.
You make it sound like a Caesar's Square cipher may be necessary?
Well, I didn't want to give it away so easily, but yes, you're right...

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
magicman4443 said:
Landslide said:
UPDATE:

The last section of the world locations should NOT be:

1. Kiev, Ukraine
2. Vitebsk, Belarus
3. Kharkov, Ukraine
4. Kaluga, Russia

Instead, it should be:

1. Kaluga, Russia
2. Vitebsk, Belarus
3. Gomel, Belarus
4. Orel, Russia
5. Gomel, Belarus
6. Kiev, Ukraine
7. Kharkov, Ukraine

This will be updated on the main page ASAP.
Grrr I knew something was up. I was getting the same thing at the end of each phrase, and tha made absolutely no sense. >=(
Agreed. It was an honest mistake - now fixed. Thynameismud will have it uploaded in minutes.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
Invariel said:
You're on the right track, but need to plot more effectively, Daedalus.

Landslide, should Tehran, Mashhad, Zahedan, Asaluyeh loop back to Tehran?
It should, yes. and that's being fixed on the main post as well. Good catch. The puzzle should be solid now. Thank you.

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
Landslide said:
Invariel said:

It should, yes. and that's being fixed on the main post as well. Good catch. The puzzle should be solid now. Thank you.
Now the second visit needs to be 5., not 1., to be consistent.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
magicman4443 said:
Ah just solved 4-2. Kudos for the challenge. I especially liked how the final clue related to the game. Very clever.

Be sure to follow your trips through the countries very closely. I think you'll find it'll help in more ways than 1.
So, you're referring to the directions Im guessing, not the trail that's marked on the map...
-Tabs<3-

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
Trivun said:
idiot445 said:
Trivun said:
Haha, I managed to get 4-1! I think I'll leave 4-2 for tomorrow now, it's almost 6am after all :p. I need to get some sleep, Christmas shopping now...

For those who are completely stuck...
A cipher is the key, but in multiple layers. Try looking at the earliest uses of ciphers to find the one you need. Military strategy will help you find the right cipher...

To the people at The Escapist, kudos for trying, but next time try something more difficult, then maybe your layers of codes won't get cracked so easily :p.
You make it sound like a Caesar's Square cipher may be necessary?
Well, I didn't want to give it away so easily, but yes, you're right...
Funny thing is that I still have no idea what to do with it all since there's actually a Ceasar's Square code and a Caesar's cipher which are two completely separate things. Oh well, I'll figure something.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
fallouthirteen said:
I actually liked 4-2, it was pretty easy. That said, I think perhaps section 2-2 of that puzzle may be missing one or more points, at the very least one should be listed again, maybe.
Fixed. Properly closed.

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
Daedalus1942 said:
magicman4443 said:

So, you're referring to the directions Im guessing, not the trail that's marked on the map...
-Tabs<3-
Well,
everything is directions. You just got to know where you start from and where to go next. P.S. My second sentence also has a small hint at the end as to the nature of the paths.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Can anyone explain to me how to start 4-1?
Message me if you think it'll give it away to everyone else.
Oh, and please don't just say "Follow the hints", lol, I really can't understand it

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Landslide said:
Invariel said:

no wonder i was getting frustrated, i had the coordinates wrong.

i ended up on the name of one of the X-men, and the "bub" in the clue had me convinced that it was some Marvel game. oh well, day 4 done now. Totally worth staying up until 1:15 AM for. Huge props to both you and ThyNameIsMud on this.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Guys, these steps involves leaps of logic. If you spell it out for people there is no fun. On that note, if I have to keep editing post I'm going to start smacking people around.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
magicman4443 said:
Daedalus1942 said:
magicman4443 said:

-Tabs<3-
Well,
everything is directions. You just got to know where you start from and where to go next. P.S. My second sentence also has a small hint at the end as to the nature of the paths.
Holy shit...
[spoiler\] It's the country that route passes through isn't it? -.- goddamn it...[/spoiler]
-Tabs<3-

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I HATE YOU ESCAPIST!!!! sorry, but I just had to let it out and caps was necessary for that.

I don't really hate you, in fact I love this site, It's just that I had hard enough time on yesterdays and you throw THIS at me!!!!!

I have absolutely no idea how to work ciphers but trust me I WILL get this even if it drives me insane.

*achievement unlocked: Driven insane buy the internet*

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
Day 4 finished. Yesss. I think 4-1 is definitely my favorite puzzle so far.

Just to be nice and give a hint for 4-1 to those who might need help:
You're definitely going to need to give yourself some extra lives if you keep guessing the wrong answer.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
ThyNameIsMud said:
Guys, these steps involves leaps of logic. If you spell it out for people there is no fun. On that note, if I have to keep editing post I'm going to start smacking people around.
<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.250605.9311106>Landslide quoted both me and Trivun, you should probably edit that one too.