Test Your Mental Might With The Escapist's First-Ever Puzzle Adventure!

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Azuaron said:
havass said:
I don't feel guilty about adding all the hints up to solve the puzzle now, because i've never played that game before. Maybe I should go get it now.
And I find it amusing how I've tried entering this game multiple times for yesterday's puzzle. Oh well. Now that's over...I have to start closing all the various tabs that were required for this ONE puzzle.

Hint:
GIGANTIC SPOILER OF DOOM
Seriously? That's your "hint"? That's the freaking answer, not a hint.
Not when you don't know what it means.
And if the mods allow it..I don't see any problem with it.

-CarcharotH-

Sep 30, 2010
anthony87 said:
Logic. Pure simple logic. Everything you need to know is there, the pages the people, the loves and interests of ALL the people that have been involved directly or indirectly with this puzzle.
But you solved it without actually changing the url after you went through the hole, right? Hence I daresay the last step was not completed.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
anthony87 said:
-CarcharotH- said:
anthony87 said:
Hashime said:
Chrmike said:
Care to give us a hint Hashime?
All I will say is that as I was typing what all the people had in common it hit me like a piece of steel.
Yeah same here, I just got as I thinking what they all had in common.

The answer itself is amazing when you think about it.
Yet more proof that the real puzzle is WHAT IS THE LAST STEP OF THIS PUZZLE?
Logic. Pure simple logic. Everything you need to know is there, the pages, the people, the loves and interests of ALL the people that have been involved directly or indirectly with this puzzle.

The answer lies there.
Cheating ;) There should be a clear sequence of moves from a certain 5 numbers to a certain game.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
castlewise said:
Aidan Goldthorpe said:
Made it this far, now I'm stuck on the final hurdle.
Five numbers with the black background
and I have no idea what to do. The previous ciphers don't seem to work either.
Yeah, I've tried number-> letters and then looking for a cipher, but no luck so far.
Likewise, ive tried turnign them into letters, anagraming them, ciphering them. Im stumped

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
anthony87 said:
-CarcharotH- said:
anthony87 said:
Hashime said:
Chrmike said:
All I will say is that as I was typing what all the people had in common it hit me like a piece of steel.

Logic. Pure simple logic. Everything you need to know is there, the pages, the people, the loves and interests of ALL the people that have been involved directly or indirectly with this puzzle.

The answer lies there.
It's not "pure simple logic". There was a jump, and there is a step in between that, apparently, everyone is missing, even having solved it and answered the right game.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
So, I must admit I got the game without finishing the puzzle (actually, I think everyone has gotten the game without finishing the puzzle). Some mentioned a descriptor of the protagonist which tipped it off, but I didn't get it for another two hours because my input was "wrong", and then I only got it because someone gave an exact description of the name of the game instead of help solving the puzzles.

Anyway, a bit of help for people stuck at the
scientists
because lots of people are giving very confusing information about this stage that has more to do with entering the correct game into the answer page and less about actually solving the puzzle.

Ignore everything people are saying about jobs/vocations/punctuation for entering into the URL. They are not trying to solve the puzzle, they are trying to get the name of the game.

Instead, you're looking for a sequence of numbers, which for some reason the Escapist staff has decided is zero-based, though that's absolutely preposterous because, were it zero-based, you'd never get off zero. Don't use punctuation.

Other clues are sufficient (or, really, extremely spoilery) for the rest.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
-CarcharotH- said:
anthony87 said:
Logic. Pure simple logic. Everything you need to know is there, the pages the people, the loves and interests of ALL the people that have been involved directly or indirectly with this puzzle.
But you solved it without actually changing the url after you went through the hole, right? Hence I daresay the last step was not completed.
castlewise said:
anthony87 said:
-CarcharotH- said:
anthony87 said:
Hashime said:
Chrmike said:

The answer lies there.
Cheating ;) There should be a clear sequence of moves from a certain 5 numbers to a certain game.
Yes, maybe I figured it out a little earlier than I was "supposed" to but I wouldn't go and call it cheating. Besides there's no way I would've gotten past the second step if it wasn't for the help and advice of everyone else here.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
I've solved the puzzle, but I have no idea what these 5 numbers you guys are talking about are.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Azuaron said:
So, I must admit I got the game without finishing the puzzle (actually, I think everyone has gotten the game without finishing the puzzle). Some mentioned a descriptor of the protagonist which tipped it off, but I didn't get it for another two hours because my input was "wrong", and then I only got it because someone gave an exact description of the name of the game instead of help solving the puzzles.

Anyway, a bit of help for people stuck at the
scientists
because lots of people are giving very confusing information about this stage that has more to do with entering the correct game into the answer page and less about actually solving the puzzle.

Ignore everything people are saying about jobs/vocations/punctuation for entering into the URL. They are not trying to solve the puzzle, they are trying to get the name of the game.

Instead, you're looking for a sequence of numbers, which for some reason the Escapist staff has decided is zero-based, though that's absolutely preposterous because, were it zero-based, you'd never get off zero. Don't use punctuation.

Other clues are sufficient (or, really, extremely spoilery) for the rest.
About the start of the sequence (which really threw me off too):
It's not that preposterous. For this sequence you need to have the first 2 numbers, then the recurrence relation gives the rest. There are many possible "starts" to the sequence that work and differ only at the start numbers.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I actually yelled out "ROAAAAAAAAR" when I finally worked out the answer...the bad spelling was cruel and unnecessary. I assumed I had it something wrong somehow when it didn't work the first time no matter how I tried to spell it...but that cheeky space where a hyphen should be screwed me up for over an hour! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyy

an artists rendition:

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
One small and possibly irrelevant thing about the last step. Or maybe relevant.
If you add the numbers in a certain order, there is a lot of doubling going on.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
-CarcharotH- said:
Luhrsen said:
-CarcharotH- said:
cobra_ky said:
Dammit all, now i have to figure out what to put in there!
The pictures point to the sequence you have to enter; the exact number of digits you'll need can be found out on the way upstairs.

Is it possible that so many people have overlooked this?
Well that explains why I couldn't make that leap. everyone was skipping a couple steps and getting lucky. :(
Exactly. Lots of corner-cutting going on for day 5.
Come on Mods, part of your precious puzzle is already about to slip into oblivion (or something)! Save it! We all got away too easy!
I'll mention it shortly - as soon as I get through all the posts.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
And there it is!

Thank you, community, you rock.
Thank you, mods, for making these great (mind destroying) puzzles.
And thank you, brain, for not caving it completely.

I'm sorry for the rest of you, but I can't give anything without spoiling. I'd help if I could.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Muahahahaha. Took 3 university professors to do it but... here is a hint to get from the 5 mysterious numbers on the black background to the final answer:

Come on come on and meet the elements!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
havass said:
Azuaron said:
havass said:
I don't feel guilty about adding all the hints up to solve the puzzle now, because i've never played that game before. Maybe I should go get it now.
And I find it amusing how I've tried entering this game multiple times for yesterday's puzzle. Oh well. Now that's over...I have to start closing all the various tabs that were required for this ONE puzzle.

Hint:
GIGANTIC SPOILER OF DOOM
Seriously? That's your "hint"? That's the freaking answer, not a hint.
Not when you don't know what it means.
And if the mods allow it..I don't see any problem with it.
Regardless of the level of knowledge required to understand your spoiler, it has nothing to do with the puzzle. If your post was the first I saw, I would have had the answer without doing any single step of the actual puzzle. The point of hints isn't to give people the answer, but to nudge them in the correct direction so they can solve the puzzle as much on their own as possible.

tl;dr; UR DOIN IT RONG

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
As proud as I am that I solved the last puzzle and got the badge, I'm a little disappointed that I figured it before completing all the steps. Feels like I didn't do it properly :/

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
castlewise said:
Muahahahaha. Took 3 university professors to do it but... here is a hint:

Come on come on and meet the elements!
I can only say: LOL! :)