Test Your Mental Might With The Escapist's First-Ever Puzzle Adventure!

Aidan Goldthorpe

Dec 17, 2010
Thanks to everybody that made this puzzle. It has been eight hours of struggle, torment and relief when the answer finally came to me. I can't wait for the next one.
;)

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
DiMono said:
burningdragoon said:
haha "stop cheating you little &#$%" Nice. Figured out what to do before seeing that though.
Wait, where does that show up? I missed that part.
on 4-1 You can...

check the page source to find the javascript code that handles the stuff you do. The id or something (i forget) for the area or something is "stop cheating you little &#$%".

Apr 28, 2008
I just tackled all the puzzles in one go, and thanks to everyone here, I finally go it. Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go lie down and let my brain rest.

And I got the last one with a wild shot in the dark. Damn I'm good.

Hashime said:
Chrmike said:
OH MY GOD! BANGING HEAD ON DESK HERE!
I bet at least 2 people get it from random guessing.
I got it from guessing.

And from massive jumps in logic and trying to decode people's hints since I got lost around the time people were talking about some site with pictures on it.

gfmbhsmo

Mar 17, 2010
burningdragoon said:
DiMono said:
burningdragoon said:
haha "stop cheating you little &#$%" Nice. Figured out what to do before seeing that though.
on 4-1 You can...

check the page source to find the javascript code that handles the stuff you do. The id or something (i forget) for the area or something is "stop cheating you little &#$%".
that was the first thing i found i was looking for the key down paths and the load bars and laughed my ass off

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
Almost got it, I think...but I need some help with the final step:

OK...I'm pretty sure of the game. I'm pretty sure that, whatever it is, it goes in part of an HTML. What I *don't* is: a) do I capitalize it, b) does the hyphen need to be replaced with a " " or a "_" and c) is the ".html" part important?

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
step 1: read through the pictures 13
Nine tails
7 dwarfs
octagon
the chosen one
"number 5 stay where you are"
Nine Inch Nails
high 5
octopus
two girls
saturn V
LOTR:Two Towers
dante's 9 circles of hell
Two Face
step 2: find the book
step 3: amazon has good reviews
step 4: the news on escapist are yours clue (use the title from step 2)
step 5: read some Capital Comments and go through the Hole
EDITED BY YOMANDUDE: For step 6, there's a popular math sequence linking the length of the pictures. Go from 0 to 21, and start deleting from 21 down. You'll get it eventually.
Step 7: The cipher is literally quite elementary. Or is it elemental?
And you've solved it!

My favorite part is that the whole thing ends with a big heaping dose of
IRONy!

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Stryc9 said:
xXSnowyXx said:
I actually yelled out "ROAAAAAAAAR" when I finally worked out the answer...the bad spelling was cruel and unnecessary. I assumed I had it something wrong somehow when it didn't work the first time no matter how I tried to spell it...but that cheeky space where a hyphen should be screwed me up for over an hour! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyy

an artists rendition:
I'm in the same boat as you. I would have gotten this last night but I ran into the same issue.
I think it's good. It prevents people from randomly guessing, as once you've done almost all of the steps you can be almost entirely sure that you know the name of the game. Therefore you will try all possible combinations, that's probably why they only let you do it a certain way.

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
I'm testing out the customizable spoilers for a second:
Okay, this is awesome.

TwilightShadow1

Salt Factory Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2010
Oh wow, looking back, I just made a logical assumption. If I had stuck with my original idea then the last part would have been much more fun. Oh well, I got almost every other one on my own.

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
chriswolvie said:
Almost got it, I think...but I need some help with the final step:

OK...I'm pretty sure of the game. I'm pretty sure that, whatever it is, it goes in part of an HTML. What I *don't* is: a) do I capitalize it, b) does the hyphen need to be replaced with a " " or a "_" and c) is the ".html" part important?
What you put in the url is based off the clues on that page, it isn't the name of the game. And yes, you need the .html still, you put in the right web address by replacing 'youranswerhere' with something else and it will take you to the next clue.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Another game I haven't played, only I have no idea the full solution. It was a guess based some of the hints. Also did

the second set of numbers have anything to do with it??

Seriously, if anyone wants to PM or something with the actual steps to the solution after the image with pictures and stairs, that'd be great. I have the badge already.

Edit: on another note, even though I needed tons of help on almost all of them, this puzzle thing was awesome.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the brain twisters/torturers this week. They weren't all winners--my biggest hint for 5-1 was that it hadn't come up in the previous days' puzzles, and I probably never would have gotten it otherwise--but good job on the whole.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I feel the need to point out that you really don't need to make a logical leap to get to the solution of 5-1. You can reason from the picture and the fact that everything is there for a reason, and get to the final step. Just don't be deceived by what the numbers look like. And seriously, it will be a whole lot more rewarding if you solve it this way than if you solve it by guessing.

As for Fibonacci starting at 0, that's literally part of how the series is described: t[sub]0[/sub]=0, t[sub]1[/sub]=1, t[sub]n[/sub] = t[sub]n-1[/sub] + t[sub]n-2[/sub]. The confusion here is that you cannot display an absence of something, which makes it impossible to visualize this in the picture. Rest assured though, this is indeed the definition of the Fibonacci sequence, and as such it does not need to be stated explicitly in the puzzle clue.

Feb 13, 2008
burningdragoon said:
DiMono said:
burningdragoon said:
on 4-1 You can...

Page 3 has the code "You think you're pretty clever? Clever people join the pub club..."

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
DiMono said:
I feel the need to point out that you really don't need to make a logical leap to get to the solution of 5-1. You can reason from the picture and the fact that everything is there for a reason, and get to the final step. Just don't be deceived by what the numbers look like. And seriously, it will be a whole lot more rewarding if you solve it this way than if you solve it by guessing.
This is what was killing me yesterday. I did end up getting the answer, but had it 'explained' (I just guessed well in frustration) 2 (3?) different ways. It was nice coming back to it and finding a 'real' solution with logical steps.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
*wipes brow* Whew. That was exhausting and amazing. I say we do it again! Especially since this really shows what a community the Escapist is.

Starscream48

Jun 1, 2010
Can't believe I've spent the last night to solve day 4 and 5... But damn, it was an amazing trip so I want to thank both the Escapist team AND the community ('cause I wouldn't even have passed day 1 without you, guys). I just can't wait for the next uber-awesome Puzzle Adventure!

Here, have a cookie:

ResoluteR

Dec 17, 2010
So I worked my way through and, after getting all steps before it legitimatly, found in the forum that comments made by mods were part of the clue to 5-1 (kind of frustrating if you're not that into reading the forum wall). Anyway, I was waaaay too lazy to root through 50 pages of comments for ones by mods and guessed the final step by the description of the website by posters, not by finding the capital letters and plugging it in. Could someone pm me the site name so I can check it out because I'm curious how it looks?

GrymZero

Mar 1, 2010
havass said:
GrymZero said:
havass said:
I don't feel guilty about adding all the hints up to solve the puzzle now, because i've never played that game before. Maybe I should go get it now.
And I find it amusing how I've tried entering this game multiple times for yesterday's puzzle. Oh well. Now that's over...I have to start closing all the various tabs that were required for this ONE puzzle.

Hint:
Decay over time.
I love you so much right now x.x I spent two hours...TWO NARFING HOURS trying to figure out what the last clue meant, but this...this finally made it click in my head.

Oh and, side note: My brain is now made of porridge. Kthnxbai. Now, I'm going to go to bed. Wake me up when the world stops being all blurry and painful to look at.
HAHAHAHAH. I tried not to make it too obvious, but i'm glad it helped you.
We wear these badges proudly, mods!
Heh, well you see...I'm a bit of a
science buff, so as soon as I read that phrase, I immediately facepalmed for not getting it sooner

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
You bastards.

I suppose it didn't help searching through the .co.uk site instead of .com, looking for something for a little while before buying a scarf instead.