Tetris "Helps To Reduce Trauma"

Feb 13, 2008
Tetris "Helps To Reduce Trauma"

UK Researchers have shown that playing the classic Russian block puzzle Tetris can help people deal with distressing images.

In the experiment, PLoS One [http://www.plosone.org/home.action] took 40 volunteers and exposed them to some distressing images. The test group was then given Tetris to play half an hour later.

The results were that the players suffered fewer "flashbacks" to the images, due to what the scientists refer to as "disrupting the laying down of memories".

"Flashbacks" are seen as one of the most distressing features of PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), consisting of raw sensory images of trauma.

"Tetris may work by competing for the brain's resources for sensory information," said Dr. Emily Holmes, one of the researchers. "We suggest it specifically interferes with the way sensory memories are laid down in the period after trauma and thus reduces the number of flashbacks that are experienced afterwards."

One of the real problems that the research went through is the ethical consequences of putting patients through trauma, so whilst this research is a step in the right direction, application is a long way off.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7813637.stm]

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I can totally understand that. I play puzzle games like that to relax. It's really good.

I wonder what else could reduce stress like that.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Is tetris supposed to be special or is it just the fact that its a game?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Tetris and Bejewled 2 were both games I would play and just zone out, usually losing track of the time and ending up staying up until silly-o' clock. Now I can say that I was just trying to deal with some horrible event =)

It's the same concept as those 'relaxation chambers' methinks.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
This kind of makes sense. If I play Tetris long enough I start seeing it when I close my eyes.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I find strategy games relax me more, but this would make sense.

Medicinal gaming, the new medicinal marijuana?
Pretty soon cops will be busting down the doors for indi developers and arresting them for making.... ok that was a bad comparison.

Good to see games put to a good use.