Texas Attorney General Announces ESRB Public Awareness Campaign

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
"Parents must play an active, informed role in their children's lives, and choosing videogames is no different,"
It makes me sad that anyone even feels the need to remind people of this.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Douk said:
You got it all wrong. Its not about the government restricting access to well deserving kids and letting parents do what they want. Its about the government(and ideally parents) doing what they can to prevent well deserv dumbshit kids from shooting up the school. Also, censorship should only be a crime if it blocks ideologically sensitive material, not entertainment that doesn't do anything worthwhile.
Studies have proven that video games and violent movies are not the cause behind people going Columbine/VT. And, since violent media became common place, violent crime has been on a decline. Censorship undoes this progress.
Excuse me but what the hell are you talking about?

No one is going to stop parets for buying games for their children. Hell, I'm underage and when I tried to buy a game that was rated M, the store called my dad to chech if it was okay.

I think you got it all wrong.

If a parent buys a game it don't matter how obvious it is how's going to play the game. No employee is going to stop you. And if they do, that are breaking the law. Simple as that,

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
If anything good comes out of this, maybe people will stop bitching about kids playing violent video games.
Douk said:
You got it all wrong. Its not about the government restricting access to well deserving kids and letting parents do what they want. Its about the government(and ideally parents) doing what they can to prevent well deserv dumbshit kids from shooting up the school. Also, censorship should only be a crime if it blocks ideologically sensitive material, not entertainment that doesn't do anything worthwhile.
And none of it would even be necessary if they knew that there is absolutely NO fucking conclusive evidence linking ANY school shootings to violent video games.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
well that's what they should have been... wait, they said that they did this in other parts of u.s before right? or is that where they are going next? and why am i only just hearing about this?

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
Of course parents should be aware about ESRB. But videogames are a pathetic scapegoat. Growing up with a NES I had River City Ransom, a game where you and a friend run around as highschool students in settings like playgrounds and back alleys, bludgening the piss out of other kids with rocks, pipes, garbage cans ect. And even though this game consumed a good 3 years of my life not once did I attempt my Ryan/Alex techniques in the schoolyard. If your kids are violent little shits, it's not the fault of Tom Clancy

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
Can a 10-year-old buy an AO rated game? No. Could that same child buy the game if their parent was with them? No. Could that parent buy the game for the child while the child was clearly the one picking it out? Probably not. No store employee is going to sell a copy of Rapelay to a parent when they know it's for the kid. But - and this is the crux of it all - is it the store's place to say that the kid cannot have or play that game?
The store isn't the government. There are many stores out there. Also there is the Internet. At the end of the day, I don't like ratings systems either, in part because it puts one group's opinion on a pedestal, when in the real world everyone has different views on what is and isn't appropriate for whomever, and in part because it all but demands that all media be tailored to a specific, narrow age group. But it's still miles better than the government-run systems that most other countries have, which in turn is miles better than actually banning certain games like in China and Germany.

Khell_Sennet said:
Rating systems are censorship, and censorship is a crime that falls somewhere between genocide and illegal experimentation on live humans.
Wait, so the ESRB is just as bad as if they were killing people? Are you for real?