Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton facing impeachment.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
This probably should be it's own thread, yeah. Great times! Best thing to come from this is it's basically shut down the legislature so they stop passing new bills.

The big irony here is that the MAGA side is probably correct that this is politically motivated rather than any serious ethical movement, but a win is a win. Maybe both he and Phelan will get removed over all this?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I might be wrong, but doesn't the impeachment process take weeks, if not months?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I might be wrong, but doesn't the impeachment process take weeks, if not months?
I don't believe there's any reason it has to. It may typically, in situations where a case needs to be built, but I don't know any reason impeachment couldn't be basically immediate.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
House votes to impeach him today. After that, if they decide to, he is officially removed from office until the senate properly tries him. For the senate to try him, they need approval of the governor. If the governor does not give approval, the lt. governor can. If he doesn't, the president of the senate can. If he doesn't, then a majority of the senators can.

If they don't then I guess it goes out into the sand and Paxton is back in office. Each deadline is shorter than the previous, iirc the governor has 10 days to approve the impeachment trial and it shortens from there.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Paxton impeached by the house, and with pretty dismal looking support. It'll go to the Senate next, though Texas leaders can delay it for up to 20 days, but I don't know how much of an ally Dan Patrick (lt. governor) is going to be. Abbott will probably defend him though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Paxton impeached by the house, and with pretty dismal looking support. It'll go to the Senate next, though Texas leaders can delay it for up to 20 days, but I don't know how much of an ally Dan Patrick (lt. governor) is going to be. Abbott will probably defend him though.
Maybe, but Abbott gets to appoint someone else so he might not be that supportive unless trump starts really bugging him.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Maybe, but Abbott gets to appoint someone else so he might not be that supportive unless trump starts really bugging him.
I don't know, of the major Texas leaders, Abbott is the most lost in the sauce of Trumpism excluding Paxton himself. He always landed at Walmart DeSantis, but now that DeSantis is Kmart DeSantis himself, Abbott will probably tie himself more to Trump to differentiate himself.

Though if I am wrong, I'll probably be 180 degrees wrong, with Abbott throwing Paxton to the wolves while Patrick supports him, since I feel there's a wedge between the two and they'll take opposite positions on this just to be opposite.

But overall Patrick is the slimier, more self-serving greaseball, so unless Paxton has very strong support in the senate, this vote probably showed him where the wind is blowing and he has no principles to guard on this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know, of the major Texas leaders, Abbott is the most lost in the sauce of Trumpism excluding Paxton himself. He always landed at Walmart DeSantis, but now that DeSantis is Kmart DeSantis himself, Abbott will probably tie himself more to Trump to differentiate himself.

Though if I am wrong, I'll probably be 180 degrees wrong, with Abbott throwing Paxton to the wolves while Patrick supports him, since I feel there's a wedge between the two and they'll take opposite positions on this just to be opposite.

But overall Patrick is the slimier, more self-serving greaseball, so unless Paxton has very strong support in the senate, this vote probably showed him where the wind is blowing and he has no principles to guard on this.
Normally I would agree but Abbott has been kinda quiet on that front for a bit now and so far he hasn't said anything about the impeachment.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Normally I would agree but Abbott has been kinda quiet on that front for a bit now and so far he hasn't said anything about the impeachment.
We'll see, there's room for surprise everywhere. Like the speaker of the house showing up shitfaced.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Another thing, I kept saying this all has to be approved by the governor or someone in the chain of leadership, but that was all assuming that the senate was out of session. My lack-of-sleep brain forgot the senate is convening both tomorrow and Monday and they can just file the paperwork for the trial themselves.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ken Paxton ADMITS to stopping 2.5 million mail-in ballots in Texas during the 2020 election.

He said as much well over a year ago already. Though, Harris County (to which he refers) wasn't even planning to send mail in ballots anyway-- just applications. That's what Paxton stopped going out, referring to them as "illegal".

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

This is in relation to his original charge of securities fraud he committed before he was even elected. Originally he was to be tried in the county he represented when he was in the Texas house and prosecutors argued he would have favorable prejudice there, so moved it to Harris county. The defense appealed it and won, and now the prosecution has appealed that and won, so he's back to being tried in Harris county.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States