Texas Boy Spends PS4 Money To Help Neighbors After Tragedy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Texas Boy Spends PS4 Money To Help Neighbors After Tragedy

Young Texas gamer has impressive priorities

The ever-rising cost of videogame consoles isn't exactly news, so it's not surprising that Hector Montoya, an 8 year-old boy from Grand Prarie, Texas, had been saving up his money for months to buy a Playstation 4. But a local tragedy made him reconsider how best to spend the $300 he'd managed to amass.

The story that caught his attention? The death of a mother and her 6 year-old in a tragic fire. "Hector is passionate about things," explained Monty Montoya, the boy's mother, "and when he gets it in his mind to do something, then he's going to do it."

The result? He partnered with the local fire department to use his money for the purchase and installment of new smoke detectors in the homes of (mostly) elderly local residents. "Saving a life is more important," explained Hector.

Source: CBS [http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-boy-8-buys-smoke-detectors-instead-of-ps4/]

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Buy that kid a Ps4.

What he did was fantastic but what if he was so clever that he knew that if he did this he'd get the accolades and cause someone who appreciated his gesture to buy him what he wanted?

Either way good on the young fella.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Dr.Susse said:
Buy that kid a Ps4.

What he did was fantastic but what if he was so clever that he knew that if he did this he'd get the accolades and cause someone who appreciated his gesture to buy him what he wanted?

if he planned that far ahead, he deserves everything that his xanatos gambit has played for

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
His name is Hector Montoya?

Holy shit, that's the best name ever!

Anyway, for an eight-year old that's like the most selfless act imaginable. I know if I was eight and had 300 bucks, I'd feel like the richest guy alive.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I would happily chip in a few bucks for this kid to get the PS4 he wanted if he's that selfless and caring. Fair play to the kid, many kudos given indeed.

In other news, I can guarantee Fox News won't have been covering this, and if you show it to them it'll be "lalalalala ear fingers" time...

EDIT: I have been reliably informed that Fox (Tampa Bay area) have indeed covered this story, and so please disregard my previous criticism of them - looks like they've pulled through for once, and fair play to them too for doing so :D

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25302716/8-year-old-texas-boy-starts-fire-safety-program

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Good on that kid! That's a lot of money when you're 8 years old. He does have a heck of a good name, too.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
The replacement and installation of smoke detectors should be something that is done by the government (whether local or federal), not something left up to an 8 year old to do.

We are talking as little as $2 per unit in bulk, that should be in the budget for local fire station's government funding to cover.

Give the kid a PS4.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
He was going to start from scratch again to raise money for the PS4, but after NBC told his story, Ashton Harder and sister Peyton of Allen, Tex. decided to foot the bill. A PlayStation 4 costs $400 at Gamestop and Best Buy.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-money-raised-ps4-buy-smoke-detectors-article-1.1763469

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Dr.Susse said:
Buy that kid a Ps4.

I highly doubt at 8 years of age, that the move was anything but sincere. Most 8 year olds are honest to a fault. However, I am sure someone will make sure this child gets one, and he wholeheartedly deserves it. Its very obvious this young man is being raised right. Nice article, great way to start my day! :)

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Trivun said:
I would happily cjip in a few bucks for this kid to get the PS4 he wanted if he's that selfless and caring. Fair play to the kid, many kudos given indeed.

In other news, I can guarantee Fox News won't have been covering this, and if you show it to them it'll be "lalalalala ear fingers" time...
I agree with you on the first part, but leave the politics out of this and lets not taint a good story, eh?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Trivun said:
I would happily [chip] in a few bucks for this kid to get the PS4 he wanted if he's that selfless and caring. Fair play to the kid, many kudos given indeed.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25302716/8-year-old-texas-boy-starts-fire-safety-program

OT: It looks like Hector is covered, but if you want to help buy video games for sick kids, there's Child's Play [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/].

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is a very good thing. I just wish it's more common instead of almost unheard of to such an extent that it's news. Kids can be very generous though. I used to give my arcade money to homeless people when I saw them. It made sense to me. They needed it for food. I would just spend it on a few minutes of Street Fighter II.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Gamestop's corporate HQ is in Grapevine Texas. They should step up and show the kid some love.

Or if Microsoft were smart, they'd offer him an X1 and a suite of games. ;)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Good on that kid. I wouldn't have been nearly be as generous at his age.

Also... Hector Montoya. I swear, I've seen that name before somewhere, but I don't know where...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Charity starts at home. Good on him. Now if we could fix the priorities of everyone, the world could be improved!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
....If I had the money and his address, I'd personally mail him a brand new PS4. God damn it that's a good kid.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
If I was this kid's parent, I'd buy him a PS4 just for the positive reinforcement.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Mortuorum said:
Trivun said:
I would happily [chip] in a few bucks for this kid to get the PS4 he wanted if he's that selfless and caring. Fair play to the kid, many kudos given indeed.

OT: It looks like Hector is covered, but if you want to help buy video games for sick kids, there's Child's Play [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/].
Wow, I was wrong, I apologise then :). Today is a day full of surprises, it seems, but fair play to Fox for covering it :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
This is a very good thing. I just wish it's more common instead of almost unheard of to such an extent that it's news. Kids can be very generous though. I used to give my arcade money to homeless people when I saw them. It made sense to me. They needed it for food. I would just spend it on a few minutes of Street Fighter II.
That brings back pleasant memories. How munificent and magnanimous we are in the distant, simple days before we discover the "value" of money! :)