Texas Education Foundation Gives Grants for Wii Development

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Texas Education Foundation Gives Grants for Wii Development

An <a href=http://www.lindaleeagles.org/pages/Lindale-Education-Foundation>education foundation in Lindale, Texas is giving away two grants towards Wii-based programs.

The grants are two of six given by the Lindale Independent School District Education Foundation to fuel educational programs. The two Wii-based programs will use pre-existing Wii games in order to promote skill development and healthy lifestyles.

The first of these projects is Wii Can Do It!, the brainchild of Cookie Hartley and June Wright of the Early Childhood Center. Wii Can Do It! is described as a way to use the Wii for "therapy and instructional tools." The target audience for this program is preschool students with disabilities. The duo has received $1,021.40 to fund this project, and the hope is that it will help them boost the academic and communicative performance of their students.

Second on the list is Wii Fit, Wii Moving and Wii Happy which, as the title may indicate, hopes to capitalize on the success of Nintendo's Wii Fit to encourage active behavior in children. Cynthia Peters and Bobbie Williams of the Lindale Primary School are the recipients of the $1,121.30, and said the program will allow students to "experience technology in a fun and creative way." The program is designed to help improve a number of skills such as hand-eye coordination, balance, and rhythm.

"The enthusiasm of the donors who went with us and the teachers who received grants made for a very exciting morning," Education Foundation president John Driver said. While there isn't much money in the grant, hopefully this enthusiasm will help the teachers effectively utilize these games to make a difference with their students.

Source: <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2010/03/30/texas-school-grants-back-wii-based-initiatives>GamePolitics

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its nice to see gaming getting more recognised in gaming, and giving grants so that developers and go out there, show the world what they are made off.

Intresting ideas though, for sure

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well it's good to see the Wii put to good use. I like it as a game console too, but this seems nice.

Also, I'm waiting for it to not happen on this thread. I'm not saying it, but I know whats going to happen.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
this is a shocker.

with Wii and Nintendo DS, it's like Nintendo could rule the world!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
One more step backward from real fitness. May as well tell the kids the sun and outdoors are bad for them.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
One more step backward from real fitness. May as well tell the kids the sun and outdoors are bad for them.
Well hopefully it will at least help destigmatize gaming for parents. That in itself would be good.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the words texas and education sound weird together

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
Well hopefully it will at least help destigmatize gaming for parents. That in itself would be good.
True dat. I just get sad when there seems to be less and less emphasis on true physical education in schools these days. This feels to be a very poor substitute.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
True dat. I just get sad when there seems to be less and less emphasis on true physical education in schools these days. This feels to be a very poor substitute.
Well, to be fair, Texas focuses on physical education quite a bit. It may work here.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
Well, to be fair, Texas focuses on physical education quite a bit. It may work here.
Well, to be fair right back, Texas' school system tends to tell DC to go fly a kite as far as what the federal government tries to tell states how to deal with education. And for that they get a thumbs up from me. Shame that one of her own governors pulled that crap himself when he went to DC.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
Well, to be fair right back, Texas' school system tends to tell DC to go fly a kite as far as what the federal government tries to tell states how to deal with education. And for that they get a thumbs up from me. Shame that one of her own governors pulled that crap himself when he went to DC.
It happens from time to time. We try and move on.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
Have you ever tried to get out a bad grease stain? But look at it this way: Illinois now has their own stains to deal with, as well. Should give the good Republic a chance to show their true colors.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
samsonguy920 said:
Have you ever tried to get out a bad grease stain? But look at it this way: Illinois now has their own stains to deal with, as well. Should give the good Republic a chance to show their true colors.
I have. Bleach works. That is true as well, I'd like to see something change.