Texas Slated To 100% Reopen Next Week. We're All Gonna Die.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Alternate theory: the unborn are the single category of human being that can currently legally be killed based on someone else's preference, and thus get unique advocacy.

I guarantee, if the law said any other group of people could be killed on a whim, Republicans would be on top of it.
So....BLM?

And don't try scramble to go "uh, legally!", because the system of law regularly and consistently protects these cops taking lives on a whim.

Reactions: Dalisclock

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Man, finding republicans getting genocide-happy about "illegals" or "criminals" isn't particularly hard. Just read the comments section of any of the various ICE atrocities or prison slavery/eugenics allegations.

Hell, people froze to death and the survivors are facing 5 digit power bills because of price gouging and the standard GOP line is "that's what they get for signing that contract"

Reactions: MrCalavera

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm done with idiots. Anyone stupid enough to actually believe this is a good move, thank you for your efforts to remove yourselves from the gene pool.
This would actually be a perfectly valid stance... if it weren't for the sad fact that the idiots actually are not going to be the group that suffers and dies because of being stupid enough to go out and catch COVID. The people who are most likely to die, in other words the elderly and immunocompromised are the ones that these morons are going to end up spreading the virus to and thus ending up dead. The smart will die and the stupid will live on as what always happens. That's how we got so many idiots in the first place.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Then why are the Republicans for getting rid of abortions if the democratic voters are far more likely to get them thus reducing their voting numbers?
Many Democrats/the working poor aren't likely to make it to old age. So use them for the economic growth, then when they can vote their interests, they die duh.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So....BLM?

And don't try scramble to go "uh, legally!", because the system of law regularly and consistently protects these cops taking lives on a whim.
Black lives do matter. The slogan black lives matter gets under people's skin because it's an accusation that they don't think black lives matter, when they do think black lives matter. Most of the people you see saying "all lives matter" believe it.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Black lives do matter. The slogan black lives matter gets under people's skin because it's an accusation that they don't think black lives matter, when they do think black lives matter. Most of the people you see saying "all lives matter" believe it.
certainly don't seem to

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Let's say that your house is on fire, and you rush outside to grab your garden hose and spray the fire. I also rush outside to grab my garden hose so that I can spray my house, even though it's not on fire, because "all houses matter".

That's what the "all lives matter" bit really is. Supporting "black lives matter" is an acknowledgement that in America, black lives are considered by many of those in power to be without value, and this is something that should be changed. It's not some accusation that "because you're not black, you don't care about us".

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program of Republicans thinking that only rich white lives matter.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Excuse me, do you live here? Oh, that's right; you don't. I do.

Texas is not "already like this." Texas, like many state, has pockets of idiocy, instances where the guidelines are eschewed by the self-righteous and entitled in lieu of "muh freedoms." MOST of the state is still following mandates and capacity constraints. When I go out and about, 99% of people are wearing masks, the other 1% are running back to their cars because they forgot their masks and NO restaurants are open without social distancing in place (limited capacity.)

So, despite what you believe, next week, guidelines will no longer be mandated, so it won't just be the self-righteous and entitled, it'll be anyone naïve enough to believe "because 'they' said we can, it must be safe," and the virus will be able to thrive. The vaccine existing doesn't mean the virus is suddenly harmless, and MOST people haven't gotten it yet. At this point, the vaccine is a fire extinguisher in a burning house, and Abbott has effectively said we can go about our chores like nothing's wrong.

Fortunately, many businesses are taking Abbott's permission with a grain of salt. Schools have already stated that students will still be required to wear masks and several grocery stores have said the same about shoppers.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I guarantee, if the law said any other group of people could be killed on a whim, Republicans would be on top of it.
I'm waiting for them to give a shit about civilians in foreign countries, but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Are you sure?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm waiting for them to give a shit about civilians in foreign countries, but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Are you sure?
Ah, but US citizens come first. We have to wait until they start caring about the people of their own country before expecting them to start caring about those in others.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Let's say that your house is on fire, and you rush outside to grab your garden hose and spray the fire. I also rush outside to grab my garden hose so that I can spray my house, even though it's not on fire, because "all houses matter".

That's what the "all lives matter" bit really is. Supporting "black lives matter" is an acknowledgement that in America, black lives are considered by many of those in power to be without value, and this is something that should be changed. It's not some accusation that "because you're not black, you don't care about us".
I'm not one who says "all lives matter", because I appreciate the negative subtext of all these things. People saying black lives matter don't necessarily intend the accusation (besides at police, that's sort of the point). In the same way, people saying all lives matter are implying, deliberately or not, that BLM doesn't care about anyone but black people, which is not something I want to do.

What you say is not what "all lives matter really is. It's not right to think the worst of either perspective. It's not a debate with a bad guy, everyone believes their in the right. And like, you say yourself, that "black lives matter" is an accusation that many of those in power consider black lives to be without value. Particularly at the police, that is an accusation. I'm sure you can understand that those who support these people in power, particularly the police, take that accusation as against themselves. I'm not saying they're right to, but you could sympathize with them.

Democrats are responsible for nearly every war America has ever taken part in on foreign soil.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Democrats are responsible for nearly every war America has ever taken part in on foreign soil.
Whataboutism.

Republicans have been selling weaponry to invading despots for 8 years, and have drastically increased military involvement in various wars. They lied through their teeth to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. They intensified drone strikes in East Africa.

Democrats also have a good deal of blood on their hands. That hardly absolves the Republicans, or gives credence to the idea that they give a toss about civilians in foreign countries.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not to mention, In the last 20 years, the US has been involved in exactly two large scale invasions, both under the same administration.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Alternate theory: the unborn are the single category of human being that can currently legally be killed based on someone else's preference, and thus get unique advocacy.

Man, republicans really are all copypastes of each other. Make no attempt to address any of the claims in the quote I posted, attempt a single-line gotcha that relies on extremely personal views and walk away feeling like you've accomplished something. And then respond to other posts with the usual whataboutism, pivoting and generic responses you all parrot like NPCs with limited lines of dialogue.

Edit: and just because it's friday night and I'm feeling petty I'll give you another quote (from George Carlin) you're sure to DESTROY with FACTS and LOGIC:

Boy, these conservatives are really something, aren't they? They're all in favor of the unborn. They will do anything for the unborn. But once you're born, you're on your own. Pro-life conservatives are obsessed with the fetus from conception to nine months. After that, they don't want to know about you. They don't want to hear from you. No nothing. No neonatal care, no day care, no head start, no school lunch, no food stamps, no welfare, no nothing. If you're preborn, you're fine; if you're preschool, you're fucked. Conservatives don't give a shit about you until you reach "military age". Then they think you are just fine. Just what they've been looking for...
They're not pro-life. You know what they are? They're anti-woman. Simple as it gets, anti-woman. They don't like them. They don't like women.They believe a woman's primary role is to function as a brood mare for the state...
And speaking of my friends the Catholics, when John Cardinal O'Connor of New York and some of these other Cardinals and Bishops have experienced their first pregnancies and their first labor pains and they've raised a couple of children on minimum wage, then I'll be glad to hear what they have to say about abortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Excuse me, do you live here? Oh, that's right; you don't. I do.

Texas is not "already like this." Texas, like many state, has pockets of idiocy, instances where the guidelines are eschewed by the self-righteous and entitled in lieu of "muh freedoms." MOST of the state is still following mandates and capacity constraints. When I go out and about, 99% of people are wearing masks, the other 1% are running back to their cars because they forgot their masks and NO restaurants are open without social distancing in place (limited capacity.)

So, despite what you believe, next week, guidelines will no longer be mandated, so it won't just be the self-righteous and entitled, it'll be anyone naïve enough to believe "because 'they' said we can, it must be safe," and the virus will be able to thrive. The vaccine existing doesn't mean the virus is suddenly harmless, and MOST people haven't gotten it yet. At this point, the vaccine is a fire extinguisher in a burning house, and Abbott has effectively said we can go about our chores like nothing's wrong.

Fortunately, many businesses are taking Abbott's permission with a grain of salt. Schools have already stated that students will still be required to wear masks and several grocery stores have said the same about shoppers.
I live on the border of Illinois/Indiana (Chicagoland south and NW Indiana) and bars have been open for months and months in Indiana and nobody wears masks in them because you can't really eat and drink and wear a mask. Also, there's no restaurant restrictions either. Wearing masks in say the supermarket and other stores just about everyone does but you really can't in restaurants/bars. I figured Texas is more red than Indiana (plus those pics in the linked video) and especially Lake County Indiana that is one of the 2 (IIRC) blue counties in Indiana. The only place in Indiana that I saw people not giving a shit about masks was a smaller city, Crawfordsville, where like no one was wearing a mask in the Kroger all while on the speakers it said masks required. I'm guessing that's the same most places, bigger cities have more people masking and distancing than the smaller more rural areas.

And, businesses can do what they want like you said, and people can continue masking and social distancing too. I doubt the people that are worried about getting infected will see the new guidelines as "covid is gone, everything back to normal". In the end, I doubt it does much of anything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Not to mention, In the last 20 years, the US has been involved in exactly two large scale invasions, both under the same administration.
Both of which the US got precisely jack out of. Of course, that's typical of every military conflict the US has been in after WWII.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I live on the border of Illinois/Indiana (Chicagoland south and NW Indiana) and bars have been open for months and months in Indiana and nobody wears masks in them because you can't really eat and drink and wear a mask. Also, there's no restaurant restrictions either. Wearing masks in say the supermarket and other stores just about everyone does but you really can't in restaurants/bars. I figured Texas is more red than Indiana (plus those pics in the linked video) and especially Lake County Indiana that is one of the 2 (IIRC) blue counties in Indiana. The only place in Indiana that I saw people not giving a shit about masks was a smaller city, Crawfordsville, where like no one was wearing a mask in the Kroger all while on the speakers it said masks required. I'm guessing that's the same most places, bigger cities have more people masking and distancing than the smaller more rural areas.

And, businesses can do what they want like you said, and people can continue masking and social distancing too. I doubt the people that are worried about getting infected will see the new guidelines as "covid is gone, everything back to normal". In the end, I doubt it does much of anything.
Yes, our bars and restaurants have been open too, but at limited capacities, i.e.: my local watering hole which was good to have +25 people in the afternoon and +60 during peak hours has only allowed a handful of people once mandated guidelines allowed them to open at all. Restaurants have tables spaced out cutting capacity in half and rely mostly on takeout orders to mitigate losses. Know what happened? A LOT of my bar friends/bartenders contracted COVID. One bartender I know of KNEW she had it, and STILL went to work until she became too ill to do so. She likely spread it to the scant few who came in to patronize her. My friend (who I know went to the bar during the lockdown,) contracted it; his parents got it from him; his father DIED.

When next week they’re allowed to go balls out, those tables will scoot together; those peak hours will probably exceed that +60 norm because everyone who’s simply tired of not being allowed will congregate, and the virus will spread. Basically, +500,000 deaths WITH restrictions indicates that without them, with limited vaccine availability and the majority unvaccinated, fully re-opening is a horrible idea and it’s far too soon, even if it is what people want. I know things are getting better, but “getting” better and “being” better are two different things; ending ALL restrictions is reckless and only serves to open us up to more harm. But in a previous post, we already see how Abbott is ready to blame Biden and the Dems when COVID nigh inexorably spreads after HE’S the one saying “no need to take precautions anymore.” It’s sickening…

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, our bars and restaurants have been open too, but at limited capacities, i.e.: my local watering hole which was good to have +25 people in the afternoon and +60 during peak hours has only allowed a handful of people once mandated guidelines allowed them to open at all. Restaurants have tables spaced out cutting capacity in half and rely mostly on takeout orders to mitigate losses. Know what happened? A LOT of my bar friends/bartenders contracted COVID. One bartender I know of KNEW she had it, and STILL went to work until she became too ill to do so. She likely spread it to the scant few who came in to patronize her. My friend (who I know went to the bar during the lockdown,) contracted it; his parents got it from him; his father DIED.

When next week they’re allowed to go balls out, those tables will scoot together; those peak hours will probably exceed that +60 norm because everyone who’s simply tired of not being allowed will congregate, and the virus will spread. Basically, +500,000 deaths WITH restrictions indicates that without them, with limited vaccine availability and the majority unvaccinated, fully re-opening is a horrible idea and it’s far too soon, even if it is what people want. I know things are getting better, but “getting” better and “being” better are two different things; ending ALL restrictions is reckless and only serves to open us up to more harm. But in a previous post, we already see how Abbott is ready to blame Biden and the Dems when COVID nigh inexorably spreads after HE’S the one saying “no need to take precautions anymore.” It’s sickening…
I've actually went to bar far more in the past year than I ever have as my one other Friday thing doesn't happen anymore. I got it way back in March before anything was even in place so I haven't really cared about going to the bar or doing gatherings pretty much the entire time (and nobody got it from me either). Restaurants here either have no restrictions or don't care anymore as I went to lunch at a restaurant 2 Fridays ago and the place was packed, I was surprised by how many people were there. Also, at least half the people I know (friends and work) have all gotten vaccinated already. Also lots of people already got infected so that's basically the same as a vaccinated person.

The reason I say it's probably not going to matter much is because Illinois was very restrictive and Indiana was very open (during the holiday spike), and both states' infection curves mirror each other. Same thing when you look at the UK (lockdown) and US (no lockdown) curves. People seem to have decided what they're going to do at this point anyway. Just paying attention to the Texas infection curve after the 10th will tell you if it'll do anything obviously.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've actually went to bar far more in the past year than I ever have as my one other Friday thing doesn't happen anymore. I got it way back in March before anything was even in place so I haven't really cared about going to the bar or doing gatherings pretty much the entire time (and nobody got it from me either). Restaurants here either have no restrictions or don't care anymore as I went to lunch at a restaurant 2 Fridays ago and the place was packed, I was surprised by how many people were there. Also, at least half the people I know (friends and work) have all gotten vaccinated already. Also lots of people already got infected so that's basically the same as a vaccinated person.

The reason I say it's probably not going to matter much is because Illinois was very restrictive and Indiana was very open (during the holiday spike), and both states' infection curves mirror each other. Same thing when you look at the UK (lockdown) and US (no lockdown) curves. People seem to have decided what they're going to do at this point anyway. Just paying attention to the Texas infection curve after the 10th will tell you if it'll do anything obviously.
I understand anecdotally it's easy to dismiss the severity of the disease and say "because I haven't personally experienced the worst of it or because I have seen minimal impact, it must not be that big a deal," but the reality remains the entire WORLD shut down to some effect for a reason and that same world is still suffering from it; we're in the infancy of getting past it. I think a couple more months of caution is doable, but Abbott doesn't think so while simultaneously fixing his face to blame anyone else (conveniently Biden) when a likely uptick in infection cases happens; does no one else find that suspicious? Rescinding precautions and in the same breath passing blame for the immediate future when shit might hit the fan? I personally wouldn't put my chips "on red" when the guy who's telling me I should do so is prepping me to blame the house with the high likelihood of the ball falling on black.

My "We're All Gonna Die" in the thread title is hyperbolic. I don't think we're going to fall back into "total lockdown" status again. I just think it's unwise, with no definite plan in place, to re-open when the vaccines are still brand new, are scarce and the disease still killing people by the hundreds daily.