Texas v abortion

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And if you finish the sentence, they state the inalienable rights of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", which quite notably does not include property. And then they wrote a Constitution with the Bill of Rights, and those enumerated rights applied to women as well.
Then why did it require an amendment to the Constitution to grant women the right to vote?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And it also implies to me that you don't believe in democracy as a virtue, just a means to an end.
I mean, it should imply to you that the founders of America didn't believe in democracy as a virtue, just a means to an end. As it happens, I'm inclined to agree with that, but I wasn't talking about my own opinion.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, it should imply to you that the founders of America didn't believe in democracy as a virtue, just a means to an end. As it happens, I'm inclined to agree with that, but I wasn't talking about my own opinion.
Thank you for telling on yourself. My work is done here.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Thank you for telling on yourself. My work is done here.
I... ummm... ok? Other users are arguing in a different thread about whether direct democracy is even generally good, and you feel you've somehow outed the Republican in the room for not thinking democracy is a virtue? Sure. You got me.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
And if you finish the sentence, they state the inalienable rights of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", which quite notably does not include property.
Guess some are more equal than others.

And then they wrote a Constitution with the Bill of Rights, and those enumerated rights applied to women as well.
Like the right to vote?

Also, you're either pretending chattel slavery wasn't how a whole race of men and women were treated or you don't think the enslaved were human. NOT A WHITEWASH AT ALL THOUGH

Reactions: Buyetyen

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Something to keep in mind.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Then why did it require an amendment to the Constitution to grant women the right to vote?
Strictly speaking, it didn't. In fact women had the right to vote to varying degrees in most states prior to the amendment, and all the amendment formally does is make it so sex cannot be a condition on the right to vote. Prior to that it was up to the individual states to decide who should be allowed to vote, including the rather amusing case of New Jersey which had a wealth requirement but no sex restriction meaning a woman with the means could vote freely, at least until the wealth requirement was removed and the law changed to any male of age.

It's also worth noting that if women "didn't have the right to vote" in any meaningful sense prior to the amendment passing then men didn't have the right to vote until the mid-late 1800s. Because before that most men didn't meet the requirements to vote either, and expanding male suffrage was a major political shift of the 1800s.

Something to keep in mind.
Id literally suggested that some blue state or another should do exactly that if they want to see a conservative court strike down this idea with the quickness. Honestly, I'm surprised it's took this long and the court didn't basically look at it and say "this is designed specifically to make it procedurally difficult to bring to the court - we'll have none of this nonsense."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Live updates on the Supreme Court's arguments over the law today.
As a side note, watch out for the Supreme Court's discussion over the EPA and the Chevron doctrine

Reactions: CM156

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Somehow I have a feeling I know what the religious fundamentalist and the rapist will have to say about bounty hunters getting employed to keep woman down.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Somehow I have a feeling I know what the religious fundamentalist and the rapist will have to say about bounty hunters getting employed to keep woman down.
You think they'll intentionally throw away the authority of the Court because abortion is involved? That would be extraordinarily short sighted of them. Note that Kavanaugh was the one asking the questions about an SB8-like bill being applied to other rights.

Reactions: Hades

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You think they'll intentionally throw away the authority of the Court because abortion is involved? That would be extraordinarily short sighted of them. Note that Kavanaugh was the one asking the questions about an SB8-like bill being applied to other rights.
If I know one thing about powerful people, it's that usually the last thing they give away is their power and authority.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
If I know one thing about powerful people, it's that usually the last thing they give away is their power and authority.
That was rather my point - if they let this fly and either accept it as immune to judicial review or sufficiently onerous to bring before the Court, then the Court is rendering itself powerless in a way that feels wholly unlikely.

There'd be literally nothing to stop laws abridging whatever rights they want in whatever fashion they want and essentially copying the enforcement bit from SB8 to make it not legal, but impossible to challenge and in effect by default until challenged. Which has some of the GOP practically salivating, until they realize the Dems can do it too.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Which has some of the GOP practically salivating, until they realize the Dems can do it too.
A lesson that people will never fail to learn, regardless of their political leanings, is that powers you give the government can be used by other groups if they ever gain control of the government.

If you set the precedent that you can essentially evade judicial review with laws of this nature, all rights in the BoR are on the chopping block, from religion and speech to guns and much much more.

Reactions: Leg End

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A lesson that people will never fail to learn, regardless of their political leanings, is that powers you give the government can be used by other groups if they ever gain control of the government.

If you set the precedent that you can essentially evade judicial review with laws of this nature, all rights in the BoR are on the chopping block, from religion and speech to guns and much much more.
Unless one side is blatantly hypocritical, sure.

Good thing we don't have to worry about that