Text based games (also where to start )

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
Hello Escapists,

At the time writing i am bored by the state of current gen games, in terms of story ( there are, of course, a few exceptions to that opinion)

While having a conversation with a work colleague, he suggested i try my hand to text - based adventures, however, me being me, I don't have the first clue about them.

I am hoping you beautiful people can reccommend me some decent text based games.

Thank you for reading

[HEADING=1]EDIT[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2] Which game would you suggest as a good starting point for text based adventures ? should have really put that in the op[/HEADING]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
By text-based game, does he mean "eaten by a Grue", or those online "chose your own story" things?

Mar 30, 2010
The big name in this particular field is Zork. Although if you start there many other text-based games will seem inferior.

EDIT - I assumed Grues and all, not the other kind.

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
By text-based game, does he mean "eaten by a Grue", or those online "chose your own story" things?
I assume he meant the online choose your own style but he wasn't particuarly specific

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Infocom is pretty much the gold standard of text adventure games. The put out the Zork games along with scores of others. Highlights include Leather Goddesses Of Phobos, Planetfall, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (co-written by Douglas Adams), and lots more. Way out of print these days but fairly easy to find on-line. Douglas Adams' official site used to have Hitchhiker's but I don't know if that's still up so many years after his death.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
http://www.infocom-if.org/links.html

This web site can tell you a lot about Infocom and this page is supposed to link to various public domain games. Have no clue if links are still active.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Try Humongous Cave, too. If nothing else it'll stop you from ever forgetting how to perform a vector cross product.