TGC 2009: Peter Tamte Keynote

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
TGC 2009: Peter Tamte Keynote

Peter Tamte, the president of Atomic Games, breaks the silence about Six Days in Fallujah.

Read Full Article

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I thought that Tamte's keynote was interesting, but it was definitely the bit about Fallujah that caught my attention.

I think that it's a game that needs to be made, to be honest. I believe that even more strongly after that presentation. Maybe they wouldn't have been able to pull it off, but I'm disappointed that unless things turn around, they may not get the chance to try.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I thought that Tamte's keynote was interesting, but it was definitely the bit about Fallujah that caught my attention.

I think that it's a game that needs to be made, to be honest. I believe that even more strongly after that presentation. Maybe they wouldn't have been able to pull it off, but I'm disappointed that unless things turn around, they may not get the chance to try.
Exactly, this game would break down the wall that confines and designates gaming as "kid's stuff" to the general public. Then not only would it give the medium more respect but it would pave the way for more future meaningful projects similar to Fallujah. I hope theres a company out there that is brave enough to finish this with Atomic.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Hearing this only makes the news of Konami dropping Fallujah that much more devastating.

Surely there is a publisher that realizes the tremendous potential this game has?

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
Had this been any other medium there would be no controversy, but video games are seen in such a different light by the public, that any show of true meaningful addressing of anything serious is seen as heresy and trivialization.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
hmm I cant say I was that surprised or disappointed when Konami said they were dropping it. Maybe if the PR ppl had actually said stuff about this rather than the crass line of its super serious but super entertaining too, Id have responded different. Can take that as a sign that even though some developers want to push the boundaries of the cultural significance of their games; the rest of the industry still hasnt really cottoned onto what that means.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
There are so many publishers out there looking for AAA titles to release I am sure this will be picked up.

Sure some are going to hate it, but people will always hate it... ignore them and move on and release what I hope can only be a fitting tribute to men and women our age fighting for their lives in a foreign country.

The people that hate this game, and will speak out about it, will be the anti war peeps... so it is a biased hatred based on irrelevent theories. Family of those that died over there are obviously free to speak out, but again, this could be a movie and they would.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Bretty said:
There are so many publishers out there looking for AAA titles to release I am sure this will be picked up.

Sure some are going to hate it, but people will always hate it... ignore them and move on and release what I hope can only be a fitting tribute to men and women our age fighting for their lives in a foreign country.

The people that hate this game, and will speak out about it, will be the anti war peeps... so it is a biased hatred based on irrelevent theories. Family of those that died over there are obviously free to speak out, but again, this could be a movie and they would.
"Biased hatred on irrelevant theories?" ... It was a damn immoral war, and same for the events that lead to the beginning of the invasion of Fallujah.

I won't have any respect for this game if all it delivers is another generic action game pretending to be "Mature". Gears of Fallujah, lol.

duty nco

May 1, 2009
First let me say I am new to this site, having found you when I was voting for someone else on the Webby site. This topic is exactly the type of content I am interested in. Serious games. This game will be made regardless of its commercial potential. I have owned every Atomic game published and I am available as a playtester if any of you cats are reading this. I am a 46yo former Marine. Thanks Escapist!