TGS '10: Ace Attorney Investigations 2 Hands-On

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
TGS '10: Ace Attorney Investigations 2 Hands-On

We have no objections to this game, Your Honor.

Who could object to the return of everyone's favorite prissy prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth?

The purple coat and cravat are back! We got the chance to play Edgeworth's latest adventure at TGS. The case opens with nothing less than the assassination of a visiting world leader. In the first scene, the president of Sehouminkoku (People's Republic of East Phoenix?) is gunned down while giving a speech at Gourd Lake Park. The culprit is still in the area, but how can Edgeworth find him from among the hundreds in attendance?

All the old mechanics of the first game make a return. The demo sees Edgeworth investigate the area for clues, pick out contradictions in testimony, and use the power of logic to connect the clues.

The big news is that Edgeworth has an all new way to pry the truth out of uncooperative suspects: The 'Logic Chase'. Prosecutor and opponent face off against the backdrop of a chessboard. Edgeworth's adversaries protect their secrets with chess pieces which must be defeated in order to reveal the truth. To do this, Edgeworth must pursue the right line of questioning to send his own knights and pawns to break down their defenses. You'll have to think fast though, as a time limit ticks away as you plan your attack. A dead end will knock even more time of the clock. The twist has potential and it'll be fun to see if they can strike the right balance, avoiding the pitfalls of childish simplicity or the frustratingly nonsensical.

The other interesting news is returning characters. Edgeworth and Gumshoe are in the demo, while Kaye Faraday and the Steel Samurai feature heavily in the promotional material, but the big reveal comes at the tail end of the demo. Edgeworth confronts a man by the name of Tanaka Tarou, confiding in the player, "Where have I seen him before?" Veterans of Phoenix Wright: Justice for All will remember the man as the merciless "Shelly de Killer." This murderer for hire featured prominently in the game's final case, but ultimately evaded arrest. Definitely one that will get the fan base talking.

No release date as of yet.

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just need to see one of the Fey girls again, but it's not likely, is it?

Either Pearl or Maya.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Hopefully the ends of each case in this one won't be as poorly bogged down like the last one. Still excited for it, though; but I just hope they don't flanderize Edgeworth into Phoenix again.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Damn it, I still want the courtroom battles back!

And ha, I saw Shelly on that video thumbnail immediately, and I love seeing him back. I liked that character.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
[HEADING=1]OBJECTION![/HEADING]

That coat is clearly crimson, your honor!

*ahem* Anyway, the new game mechanic sounds interesting.

Heart of Darkness said:
Hopefully the ends of each case in this one won't be as poorly bogged down like the last one.
If you mean like how the final case of the first game kept having the bad guy pull out another "Wait! You don't have me beaten yet!" card out of his pocket over and over and over again, I agree. That got old fast.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
The cravat has 'been back' here since Master Chef Australia -.-

Onyx Oblivion said:

Either Pearl or Maya.
Maya was in the first Investigations =P

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
I got to experience PW on the iPhone and became an instant fan for life. I love everything about the presentation of this series and really hope to see many more installments to come.

And the Japanese flavor not being too watered down when they offer the western localization version is really appreciated. That's a large part of the appeal for me.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I was really disappointed with how the first AAI was padded down so heavily to the point where I was ready to through the game out of the window, but seeing Shelly return intrigues me.

But I really, REALLY want to know what happens to Apollo, Capcom. Get working on AA5, PLEASE.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
The Ace Attorney games have got to be one of the most epic games ever. I'm just disappointed at what happened to Phoenix in Apollo Justice. But Shelly De Killer? Awesome, I just hope that they still don't catch him.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
nik3daz said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Either Pearl or Maya.
Maya was in the first Investigations =P
I know...

:)

I just need to see one of them again. It doesn't feel like an AA game without one of them.

Apollo Justice had Trucy, who felt close enough in personality that I didn't mind.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
I wonder what happened to the Fey girls in Apollo Justice, yeah.

Honestly, any PW game will get my juices flowing, no matter who is in it. But Shelly de Killer is awesome. I hope he gets away again ;)