TGS '10: Bulletstorm Hands-On

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
TGS '10: Bulletstorm Hands-On

First-person-shooters, drunken space pirate style!

Bulletstorm is a new FPS from Epic Games and People Can Fly. You play as Grayson Hunt, an ex-military all-around badass. Betrayed by a comrade, he hit the bottle hard and now lives the life of a drunken space pirate. A chance encounter in deep space with the traitor and the ensuing space battle later leaves both crews stranded on the planet Stygia. Once the playground of the rich, Stygia is now a desolate wasteland and its denizens feral. The race is on for revenge, escape and survival.

Though the demo we played was all action, a script from Rick Remender - of Punisher fame - promises a pulpy, sci-fi experience. Besides Hunt, the cast of characters is rounded out by Ishi, a cold, calculating cyborg (perhaps a Spock to Hunt's Kirk), and Trishka, a member of the other crew with whom they've formed an uneasy alliance.

Gameplay was non-cover-based FPS all the way. You control Grayson, who leads his AI pals through the ruins of the city of Elysium. The stand-out in this game was Grayson's whip. With this electric lash, enemies can be grabbed and tossed into the air. This creates a curious slow-motion effect on whipped enemies, allowing brutal and imaginative kills. The more creative your kills, the more bonus points you score. There also seemed to be a big emphasis on using the environment to assist in the mayhem.

The game was still a little buggy (my character got frozen on a ledge at one point), but they still have until next February to iron these out. Anyways, who couldn't love a drunken space pirate with an electric whip!

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Fantastic, I'm glad we'll be seeing one of these shooters amidst the flood of modern-warfare shooters and cover-based TPS games. I can't wait for this.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I really can't wait for this game, one of the only FPS' I give a damn about. It looks FUN and seems to be so over the top and cheesy that it becomes AWESOME and not just stupid.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Let's see....

Quad-barreled Shotgun - Check
Cybernetic support character - Check
Updated Unreal Engine - Check
Energy Whip - Check
Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale - Double Check

Yes fucking please!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Irridium said:
This preview scared the dick off me!
If that line is a sign of things to come this game's story is going to be brilliant, stupid fun. I think I heard one of the writers compare it to Evil Dead 2, which I'm all over.

I would be more excited for this if Portal 2 wasn't come out in the same month but still, this is about the only single player FPS I've looked forward to for god knows how long.

On pure fun FPSs Duke Nukem seems to have been beaten to the punch next year.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
I found this "Hands-On" severely lacking.

1. The events described is something we already have seen/been told about it.
2. There is no in-depth coverage of what you exactly did.
3. We already know it's a no-nonsense shooter without a cover system.

Just some constructive feedback/criticism. I gained nothing by reading this.
Glad I wasn't the only one with this line of thinking. I saw "Hands-On" and I got really excited. Then it was just stuff I've gathered followed by "It was sort of buggy, but it doesn't come out until February, so it's okay." >_>

Mar 26, 2008
I saw a video of this running and it is beautiful. Between it and Gears 3 I think my eyes will have exploded by the end of next year.