TGS '10: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preview

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Pardon me if I remain skeptical, but a few details screamed "CONSOLIFIED" to me, and I'm not that fond of lazy interface ports at all (assuming this comes to PC).
it's already got a page on steam so it better come to the PC...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39170/

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
procyonlotor said:
I dearly hope this lives up to the original Deus Ex.

The trailers are great, but they're, well, trailers.
I don't hope it lives up to the original, because it won't. I do however hope it's going to be a good game in it's own right.

Odd thing though, were the original Deus Ex games big in Japan? I mean, I realise Square-Enix is doing the cinematics, but, there's an odd fusion of French and Japanese aesthetics going on here, that could very create an excellent game, if only in looks at the moment.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sacman said:
but it's in Japanese...
OT:I'm still skeptical any Deus Ex fan can tell you what's wrong with that trailer...
the english version can be found here (TGS trailer) @ http://www.youtube.com/user/EidosMontreal

EDIT: yea, I understand...nearly everyone in the official forums would agree.

thanks go to:Coyotegrey, Admin/community manger @ Deus exHR forums.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Welp, no new info in here. It looks good, but as time march on I expect it less and less to be a new Deus Ex. If it's just a cool cyberpunk shooter I'll consider myself happy.
rossatdi said:
Wow, the trailer looks like it could have been a Metal Gear game. Not that I had anything but complete lack of confidence in the game but damn, this just confirms it.

Cover based shooting?
Goatee based protagonist?
One of those things is much worse than the other! I can't remember which one though!

EDIT: I find it hilarious that the video showed me an ad for HSBC, or the Hong Kong/Shanghai Banking Corporation.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
GothmogII said:
procyonlotor said:
I dearly hope this lives up to the original Deus Ex.

The trailers are great, but they're, well, trailers.
I don't hope it lives up to the original, because it won't. I do however hope it's going to be a good game in it's own right.

Odd thing though, were the original Deus Ex games big in Japan? I mean, I realize Square-Enix is doing the cinematics, but, there's an odd fusion of French and Japanese aesthetics going on here, that could very create an excellent game, if only in looks at the moment.
I was wondering the same as you. And I never thought of the original Deus Ex as being big in the East. Everything about it seemed much more heavily Western influenced to me. I played the original so many times, it's one of my favorite PC experiences. What they've shown so far is beautiful, it will be a question of it having some deeper, philosophical underpinning as the first did. That is what set it apart from being just a very inventive RPG for me.

If they go for a bit of window dressing in that area I fear it will be just another pretty RPG/FPS. I didn't need to agree with a single sentiment underlying that game, that the game creator did was important to me and gave it such credibility. The raft of shooters/RPGs over the years lack that completely and just blur together in my memory as a result.

Deus Ex remains distinct and I love and respect it for that.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
As a long-time Deus ex fan I really don't care about the cover system or regenerating health. I wish they weren't there, but I'm not going to let these few things spoil the game. I've already waited long enough for a worthy succesor to the first one so I won't let those little things bother me.

MagnusShalefist

Jan 17, 2010
Sacman said:
Zhukov said:
So... was the four digit combination 0451?
it's funny because that was the code to the secure container at UNATCO, and the first code in both System Shock games all three of which were designed by Warren Spector...
It's also a reference to the book "Fahrenheit 451" which is the temperature at which books burn...
0451 is also the keycode to a door in the funeral parlor in the medical wing of Rapture in Bioshock. :D

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
How can a mech aug make a guy kill himself remotely? Not that nano augs would make any more sense, but it's easier to stomach.

You know what? I don't care anymore. If stealth is functional, and you can avoid most if not all of the encounters, I don't really mind that this seems to be a completely different game.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
I'm looking forward to this, as the original is my favorite game ever. I just hope this lives up to its name. Also whats with the two storey Shanghai. Isnt this supposed to be 20 years before the original. A two storey city is too advanced evevn for IW, let alone this. Same with the augments in this game.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
See while I understand this side of things, and the various criticisms of the game, I always like to point out that what Invisible War may have been lacking in Skill Points, it more than made up for in overhauling the original's AI (which was appalling), adding proper physics, a much stronger emphasis on ethics and philosophy over cyber-punk conspiracy theories, and adding the Omar. Because the Omar are just frickin' awesome.

<and so on...snip>

Having looked over your comments, I'd best point out the following:

1. As already said, both DX and DX:IW had decent story. Technically, the DX:IW story was just as deep as DX, and it was the "on the rails" structure that let down the sequel.

2. It is disingenuous to cite the Hong Kong maps in DX as being tight and claustrophobic. It simply wasn't the case. At best, the initial Hong Kong section was perhaps the tightest out of the entire game. Even a collapsed section of the Hong Kong metro had ample space to roam around and explore. Funny that collapsed sections in DX *do not* feel claustrophobic!

3. There had been nothing wrong with GUI in DX, so not sure what you mean by appalling. The GUI in DX could be described as "quite playable." However, if your character had poor skills with the tools at hand, then aiming would be tricky and enemies would finish you off in short order.

4. With respect to stealth in DX, people seem to come away from that game with different impressions. To me, it seemed that Paul Denton was intended to have an uncanny ability to blend into shadows, which fit his desire to wear sunglasses during night operations.

5. So did the AI work well in DX, considering that Paul Denton had uncanny stealth talent? The AI seemed to do fine. For maps that already had a wonk of bodies lying around, having an extra body suddenly appearing could easily be overlooked. However, in secure installations it was often the case that seeing a body would prompt guards to arm the security system.

However, I disagree with the notion that "good AI" is represented by enemies that respond in a consistent (i.e., same) manner. Does it occur to anyone that when seeing a body, it makes sense to *not* freak out and be more alert to one's surroundings? Speak to some of the original coders for DX, and you might find that the AI was more subtle than you realize.

6. Oop, you also cited physics. Well, DX was based on the original Unreal engine, which was well before the physics engine that became available in around 2003. One should hope that a more modern game is going to have nicer coding technology under the hood, though that isn't a substitute for playability. With deadlines for a game's development coming close, it can be tempting to justify a mediocre gaming experience in exchange for a technical feature, but Yahztee will hate you for it?.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
MisterShine said:
Also the Japanese voices sound excellent. I wish more games would let me choose different voice overs.. Thanks Witcher! You've spoiled me now.
Surely I'm not the only one who finds it utterly bizarre to hear Japanese voiceover in a preview trailer for a game franchise that, to me, once epitomised Western developmental ideas in gaming?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Sacman said:
Zhukov said:
So... was the four digit combination 0451?
it's funny because that was the code to the secure container at UNATCO, and the first code in both System Shock games all three of which were designed by Warren Spector...
It's also a reference to the book "Fahrenheit 451" which is the temperature at which books burn...
I'm more psyched about the Icarus referencing. What next, Adam Jenson has a father who helped pioneer flight augs?

Actually, that sounds pretty good, that is my new story thesis. Adam Jenson's Father helped pioneer flight augs and used Adam as a test, hence why Adam will not be using flight augs in the game.
they've said that the Icarus references were meant to symbolize trans-humanism I.E. body augmentation, I don't think they were implying that they were adding a flight aug...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
snave said:
MisterShine said:
Also the Japanese voices sound excellent. I wish more games would let me choose different voice overs.. Thanks Witcher! You've spoiled me now.
Surely I'm not the only one who finds it utterly bizarre to hear Japanese voiceover in a preview trailer for a game franchise that, to me, once epitomised Western developmental ideas in gaming?
I know it's quite perplexing I don't even think the Japanese had a proper port of the first Deus Ex...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Imbechile said:
As a long-time Deus ex fan I really don't care about the cover system or regenerating health. I wish they weren't there, but I'm not going to let these few things spoil the game. I've already waited long enough for a worthy succesor to the first one so I won't let those little things bother me.
I don't think you should worry about the regenerating health, they seem to have done it S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and made your health regenerate only out of combat, very slowly, and only to a certain point so you still require health kits... but the cover system is one of my big problems too...