TGS '10: Mega Man Universe Hands-On

Fintan Monaghan

May 7, 2010
TGS '10: Mega Man Universe Hands-On

Mega Man's latest outing promises character customization and level design.

Since that bizzaro reveal trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102131-Mega-Man-Universe-Teased-As-Capcom-Crossover-Title] back in June, a clearer picture has emerged of what Mega Man Universe is all about. Sure, it looks like yet another nostalgic retro platformer, but the big promise of Universe is creative control over the Mega Man world.

First up you can make your own custom characters. The demo we played featured three standard characters: Rockman, Mega Man, and the hilarious US box art Mega Man with his wrinkly old face. In addition, there were three custom characters to show us what's in store. In the final version, players will be able to mix and match body parts and choose their favorite special powers to create their very own crazy robot.

The other part is designing your own level. We couldn't do this at the show, but the designers had prepared three levels especially for the event. They were so good as to label them Easy, Medium and Hard. Haunted by memories of the nightmarish difficulty of recent games, we jumped for Easy.

As we've come to expect, the Easy level wasn't exactly a cake-walk. Instant death at the hands of gaps and spikes was a constant threat, and those accursed disappearing platform sequences were back. Platforms and backgrounds seemed right out of 'sky' levels of Mega Man past. Some things never change.

Then there's the graphics. Mega Man and his enemies are now three dimensional. While jarring at first, you cease to notice the difference after a few minutes of play. Curiously, the power-ups remain 2D despite the changes to the rest of the environment.

The most intriguing tease came at the end of the demo where the game thanked us for playing and invited us to make our own levels next time. Whatever levels they pre-package with the title, they won't be light-years removed from previous installments; it's the level-design options that will make or break Mega Man Universe.

The key will be to grant us enough control to make us feel that the creations are fully our own, while at the same time making it accessible enough that anyone can use it. A tricky balancing act to be sure...

TGS 2010 reporting is done jointly by Fintan Monaghan and Lisa Gay.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Those custom Mega Men looked pretty fugly. I hope they are WIPs.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
I'm calling it now. Game of 2011.
Nimbus said:
Those custom Mega Man looked pretty fugly. I hope they are WIPs.
The metool one wasn't bad.
cursedseishi said:
Aye, the PSP remakes looked pretty good, so I've been wondering why they didn't go with that style. And so far, I've been hearing some very conflicting things about this game, most of which pointing towards it being, at its very peak of best, "meh".
I thought the Robot Masters form Powered up were too deformed. Too childish.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
"over the [/i]Mega Man[/i] world."

The italics! Where do they begin! There is nothing but death! (kidding)

OT: Megaman Universe! Bringing you the game that you've already played!

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
I called the level editing and custom characters, it was just too obvious, but I can't wait to get my hands on this game, should be some good fun.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Those graphics are horrific. Claymation gone terribly wrong. I understand that they need the 3d to enable "for-the-masses" customization, but 3d-MM has universally tanked. I expect the same outcome here.

Drefanator

Nov 24, 2009
This looks like it could be fun. Definitely wanna see how Ryu comes into this too. Can't just have him in that weird trailer and then not show him off a tad. Will I get to use Protomans helmet/head with Ryu's Arms? Hadouken'ing everything in site? Hello Megaman X.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
burntheartist said:
This could possibly be my new favorite game of all time.
Totally agreed. There is literally nothing about this idea that screams anything other than DO WANT.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
So they pretty much just phoned it in and decided to release a "do it yourself" megaman game ? ...Meh I guess that's ok.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
So what are they doing with the Robot Masters? I can imagine myself struggling to get past a tortuously designed user made level, then facing Air Man for the 37th-odd time and breezing past him.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
... you motherfuckers. You've taken my love for this game and exploited both it and my wallet. Just had to fan wank me didn't you, with the box art man, and the metal blades. What's next, Okkusenman for Wily 1 and 2, The Megas as an unlockable soundtrack. Capcom you just know how to get me.