TGS 2015 - VR Showdown - Sony vs. Oculus

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
TGS 2015 - VR Showdown - Sony vs. Oculus

VR had a big showing at this year's Tokyo Game Show, with both Sony and Oculus showing off their latest toys.

Read Full Article

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, as anyone with practical experience of VR knows, you can't afford to have a poor framerate.
And fast action is a bad idea most of the time.

You'd think Sony wouldn't overlook something so basic, since it's been a major focus of Oculus's efforts right from the beginning.
(With all the reports of nausea with the DK1, they put a lot of effort into finding and eliminating the major contributors)

VR requires low latency. Will strictly speaking that's not the same thing as framerates, for all practical purposes it still means you need rock-steady high framerates.

For VR 60 FPS is an absolute bare minimum, and really, you need to be doing better than that.
(And I'm not talking about a 60 fps average here. I mean, this is the lowest you can allow your framerates to go. Ever.)

Of course, framerates alone are meaningless because when it comes to sickness the major contributor (that we can correct for at the moment) is delays or discrepancies between head movements and what you see.
You want the headset to quickly and accurately track the wearers actual head movements at all times.
Never, EVER take that movement tracking away for any reason.
Not even cutscenes or menus.

Seems like Sony is falling at the first, most basic hurdle here. Which is a bit of a pity.
Unfortunately, when it comes to the nausea factor, you really don't want any of the major players failing, because it hurts everyone.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
My understanding - and someone correct me if I've misheard - is that you will be able to use your own headphones with the Rift if you prefer, at least with the consumer model.