Thank goodness I'm saved...thanks to a game?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I attribute gaming to helping make me good at all kinds of things.
Total War series as well as MOH got me into History, I know an unhealthy amount about Romans and Nazis.
I learnt basic survival tips from MGS Snake Eater.
I can recognise almost any gun ever made due to all the FPS's I'v played.
RTS has taught me valuable leadership skills.
Black and White opened me up to all the philosophical and existential questions assosciated with playing God.
And most important, I can read fast as hell thanks to the Final Fantasy series.

So yeah, video games have improved me as a person, not to mention kept me out of trouble for years.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
Well it's always been a help when friends come over and we all get bored, so I suppose it's helped me there, and on top of that it's my future career choice if all goes well, so it might get me a job which is a good thing! (wipes fevered brow, from REALLY trying to think about a way it's helped...)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
TMAN10112 said:
Games like the Medal of Honor series got me interested in World War 2 when I was a kid. If it wasn't for that then I probably wouldn't be such a history buff.
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Age of Empires in World History class. Got a 98%.
OOoo We have things in common!

Actually, KOTOR 1 & 2 and Jade Empire made me more philosophical.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater taught me the names of all the skateboard moves that I would never be able to pull off and give up on a year later.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I used Rapture to define dystopia in English today ^^.
Also, my friend got the top mark in his history exam. All because of Rome: Total War.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I've learned from Fallout that drugs/chemicals can make you stronger, increase your mechanical skill and make you immune to stupidity..
Also learned from Fable 2, that if you fart on women they will in a matter of seconds fall deeply in love with you.

Finally i've learned from GTA that it is not a crime to run over people, as long as it is fewer than three people the cops will not bother..

Enfid

Jan 1, 2009
The Total War series got me interested in history (especially the parts with war and battles).

I'm trying to get a chance to see if playing games involving cover and firefights (like Gears of War and Rainbow Six) will give me a head start in airsoft skills.

On the downside, I found GTA series to be useless for learning how to drive XD

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Football was king in my school, and I was clueless about most of it, but when they were discussing the offside rule once, I had my moment. Thank you, video games!

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
I've learned a great deal on writing and storytelling in general from various games. As I intend to pursue a career in journalism, the aid has been invaluable.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
runescape got me into top set of english in year 6 which helped me get my level 5 and so on, and now I'm getting As and A*'s on my coursework and my friend who was in the middle set with me in year 6 hasn't even done his first piece - i did my creative writing on a boy stuck in Runescape and then my WW2 evacuee story the next week really impressed my teacher so I got moved up in a special assembly in front of the school

Black yeoman

Jun 22, 2008
Well, video games distracted me in my recent depression and medieval total war, although I am ashamed to admit it, teached me geography skills.

coldwarkid

Nov 16, 2008
My chemistry teacher has taken this horrific dislike to me, and whenever he whips out the advanced higher (that's Scottish for almost university standard) questions, he asks me them. He once asked me, "What is the technical name of the locus of temperature of which a substance is completely solid or crystallized?" (it was something along those lines)

Thanks to MGS, I knew the answer was solidus.

Fuck you, Mr Lang!

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
One of my modules on my degree in English Lit required study of other media besides written word. Thanks to my three-fold comparison of the representations of Lord of the Rings, I got a 95, a personal record and the best in the class. Thank you Battle for Middle Earth

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Umm. FFXI taught me that if people taught me that if people think you're a girl then they're nicer to you.
HL1 taught me that scientists are irritating. "I'm coming with you" 2 seconds later "I REFUSE TO GO ANOTHER STEP"