Thank you Escapist, for your great music taste.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I was browsing through the Off Topic forum and I glanced at a few different music related threads. They're a fairly common thing but they made me think about something; I owe the members of the Escapist for all the music they've suggested to me or led me to discover. If it weren't for the forum members, I would never have found Opeth( among many other bands) who have become one of if not my favourite bands. So...thank you Escapist!

You might be thinking: "That's nice but where's the discussion value?", so here it is:

What bands, albums, songs, or genres have you discovered or gotten into thanks to the Escapist forums?

EDIT:It is noteworthy that there are many Escapists whose music tastes I do not like, but I listen predominately to metal in it's various forms, and metal listeners are abundant here.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
None, but then I'm a "special case" due to my occupation. I think it's good that music threads exist so people can turn each other onto new things.

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
Opeth? Oooh...good taste, sir, good taste.

OT: Someone here mentioned Sonic Syndicate once, I gave them a listen, haven't looked back since.

Also, this:

I don't remember what thread it was in, but it's quite possibly the best thing of all time.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
None, really. Most of the forum threads that suggest music don't really interest me.

Then again, a lot of my musical tastes are considered a little weird, so maybe it's just me.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Hehe, if I looked for the escapist for my music, I would die half-way inside. Most of the music I listen to is either disliked or absolutely hated on this side by at least 90% of the users.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
I haven't really found much music that suits me on any thread I've seen. Mostly 90% metal/metal derivative, which I'm really not into at all.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It hasn't happened yet, but I've bookmarked a couple threads that I'll have to sift through eventually to find some new bands to listen to.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
But that's it.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
(In infomercial (which is an actual word according to Firefox spell check) guy voice) And now you don't even have to leave your favorite message board to get great music! All you have to do is go to the Music section of The Escapist To hear some great music from your favorite web shows, bands, and even some of your friends!

OT:Lot's of Jpop bands that where pretty good, not a fan of the genre myself, but they where good, freaking rammstein, and several other European metal bands. All together decent stuff, made even better by the fact that I know I'm not the only person to like it.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Probably the most notable band that I have been opened up to is Streetlight Manifesto.

Beyond that I've only really heard encouragement of bands I already listen to, or I just am not interested in that certain genre of music.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
No one has ever given me good music advice on here. But you bastards have better gotten into Jon Lajoie. I post his "show me your genitals" song every chance I get.

mew1234321

Oct 15, 2009
Oh, I got "Hauu Nanodesu" off of The Escapist. As well as tons of other music.

Strangely, I actually got quite a few anime shows from the anime music threads on here.

Hurray for the community!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I'm not much of a metalhead, but I did start listening to Korpiklaani after someone posted a Youtube of them. Also, Akira the Don. But that was because of an article, not because of a forum post.

The other way around, I recently had someone send me a message thanking me for introducing them to Doom/Darkjazz.