Thanks Donald Trump

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'll be honest, this site does come off as an echo chamber a lot. It came off as an echo chamber even on the old forums. Most of the people here are left leaning (or at least they appear to be). That's not to say that there isn't conversation (the Minniapolis thread is still going), but again, more people one thing than another thing. It's more condusive to discussion than something like Twitter, but it's conversation that tends to go along the same lines.
Probably because the state of right-wing politics right now is just getting worse and worse, people are wising up to the damage and the bullshit as it gets harder to ignore. "Balance" or the convenient pretense of, including extreme centrisim, just grows more absurd as time and information piles on. As a smooth talking professor once said, reality has a liberal bias.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Probably because the state of right-wing politics right now is just getting worse and worse, people are wising up to the damage and the bullshit as it gets harder to ignore. "Balance" or the convenient pretense of, including extreme centrisim, just grows more absurd as time and information piles on. As a smooth talking professor once said, reality has a liberal bias.
There are a few conservatives in my family who are devout Republicans and even they're like, "Okay, this isn't working." I still think the moment where Trump suggested we inject disinfectants into our lungs as if he had just come up with some kind of medical breakthrough is where the facade necessary for his cult of personality started to crack. At the very least, it was the moment it became acceptable in the media to say how stupid he is.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'll be honest, this site does come off as an echo chamber a lot. It came off as an echo chamber even on the old forums. Most of the people here are left leaning (or at least they appear to be). That's not to say that there isn't conversation (the Minniapolis thread is still going), but again, more people one thing than another thing. It's more condusive to discussion than something like Twitter, but it's conversation that tends to go along the same lines.
Which is still a far cry better than what I see on r/politics, discussion doesn't even occur there.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I kind of struggled to write a response here, because just trying to articulate my thoughts was draining, and it often feels like nuance is lost. I also feel guilty in a sense because I'm a hemisphere away from what's going on in the US and UK right now.

I guess the short version is that in the context of the US specifically, it's a case of me disliking most of the right, and much of the left, only the right has someone like Trump in power.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, not thanking that dickwad for anything. Glad to see Mississippi removing the Confederacy symbol on their state flag. My grandma is laughing from beyond the grave.

There are a few conservatives in my family who are devout Republicans and even they're like, "Okay, this isn't working."
My response to them would be: "No fucking shit, Sherlock!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The difference is that when all the communists aggressively like each others' posts, they don't sort themselves to the top, and when I make a comment it isn't hidden from view until it gets removed by the moderators. Reddit filters the angriest and most hateful subset of any big enough subreddit to the top by algorithm, and then moderation is as often an exacerbating factor as it is a correcting one. It doesn't even have to be political: top comment of r/relationships is almost always the person most heartlessly dismissing everyone the OP loves. "Anger is the devil's cocaine", and you can find more of it there to drink up with every single click.
It's not right-wing politics damaging anything. It's lies that are damaging, and it's more lies that makes you think it's somehow a product of right-wing politics.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The difference is that when all the communists aggressively like each others' posts, they don't sort themselves to the top, and when I make a comment it isn't hidden from view until it gets removed by the moderators. Reddit filters the angriest and most hateful subset of any big enough subreddit to the top by algorithm, and then moderation is as often an exacerbating factor as it is a correcting one. It doesn't even have to be political: top comment of r/relationships is almost always the person most heartlessly dismissing everyone the OP loves. "Anger is the devil's cocaine", and you can find more of it there to drink up with every single click.
Precisely. Here at least you will get a response from someone when you say something that people don't agree with but on reddit it'll just be a downvote brigade going, pardon me, REEEEEEEEEEEEE!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It's not right-wing politics damaging anything. It's lies that are damaging, and it's more lies that makes you think it's somehow a product of right-wing politics.
I'd recommend against engaging with me, as unfortunately i can't take anything you say seriously.

There are a few conservatives in my family who are devout Republicans and even they're like, "Okay, this isn't working." I still think the moment where Trump suggested we inject disinfectants into our lungs as if he had just come up with some kind of medical breakthrough is where the facade necessary for his cult of personality started to crack. At the very least, it was the moment it became acceptable in the media to say how stupid he is.
Yeah, the Tory (right-wing) voters over here are mostly sane enough to see trump as the horrid shitheel he is, he appeals more to the lunatic fringe right-wing parties instead. Though ultimately it's more about the lip service and pretense of decency instead, so not much of an improvement and certainly lacking hope.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well, everytime I step in something, I do remark that I stepped in a Donald.

It's a Joke. Smile.
Now jokes aside that would be a great legacy. Lets see if we can change "I stepped in shit" to "I stepped in Donald"
Im sure he'd love to know he's something we scrape off our shoes.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'd recommend against engaging with me, as unfortunately i can't take anything you say seriously.
That's not how forums work. If you make a comment, people will engage with it. If you want to ignore me, you can click my name and then the ignore button and not have to worry about it, but you're only blinding yourself that way.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren