"THAT didn't kill him?"

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
The one in Starship Troopers. She has her chest impaled with a six foot long barbed spike and is walking perfectly fine ten minutes later.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Toaster Hunter said:
The one in Starship Troopers. She has her chest impaled with a six foot long barbed spike and is walking perfectly fine ten minutes later.
Do you mean the redhead or the brunette (can't remember their names)?

I did find it odd that the later had no problem moving her arm after her shoulder was severely punctured by a rather large insect.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So, I was watching The Untouchables yesterday and I got to the scene where Sean Connery gets gunned down in his house by some gangster with a Thompson. But eventhough the old Scotsman has an entire machine gun clip emptied into him, Connery still manages to crawl a good 25 feet through his hallway before dying.

Most people would die right on the spot from the trauma caused by 3 or 4 shots, but Connery just soaks them up and keeps on ticking. I know this is Sean Connery we're talking about, but still, every normal human being has his or her physical limits.

What other movies show characters survive complete medical impossibilities?
Wow, thanks for spoiling The Untouchables for me.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
No-Superman10 said:
In Preadator a man (Redshirt) gets shot in the chest with the plasma caster, the result? His chest is asplod and you can see his heart. Arnold Shwarzanegger (sp?) get shot in the shoulder and it results in a little bit of red.

Wait what?
maybe he set his blaster to stun...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Jedoro said:
When Michelle Rodriguez' character gets shot in the eye, but the bullet doesn't go through her eye and kill her.
you can still live through that...

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Might want to put a big spoiler warning up there

OT: Why, Boromir of course, in one of the best death scenes of cinema history.
Much more epic in the books,

It wasn't 3 arrows, it was a dozen or more before he went down =)

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Toaster Hunter said:
Do you mean the redhead or the brunette (can't remember their names)?

I did find it odd that the later had no problem moving her arm after her shoulder was severely punctured by a rather large insect.
The one at the end, brunette I think. It was right at the end. She gets impaled, the spike is removed leaving a huge cavity in her chest, gets rescued and walks triumphantly out of the tunnel all within ten minutes, with no medical aid administered.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
In Black and White Two there was one guy who just wouldn't die.

You would do anything to him and nope, nothing. I threw him halfway across the continent, into the ocean, dropped him from the sky repeatedly and to no prevail.

Eventually I picked him up, took him to the alter, and sacrificed him. That was his only weakness.

Afterward I felt really bad, considering what he went through and how tough of an opponent he had been.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
The general in Avatar. It wasn't a medical impossibility, the son of a ***** just REALLY should've died ten minutes before he actually did.

A real life example would be Rasputin, if that hasn't been mentioned yet. He survived being poisoned, shot, and thrown in a river, only dying of hypothermia.
Then there's a guy I read about who survived seven nails to the head from a nail gun, and shrugged it off like it was nothing.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I am reminded of Mr. Orange from Reservoir Dogs. He gets shot in the stomach and he bleeds out a massive amount of blood yet never bleeds to death. Most video game protagonists seem to take a lot of damage without dying.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Ldude893 said:
You'd think the two crooks in Home Alone would've died from getting hit by paint-cans and pipes, stepping on nails, falling down several floors, getting electrocuted, smashed by tool carts and having their hair set on fire.

And there's also that woman from Fatal Attraction.
How the heck did she suddenly get up from the bathtub after being supposedly suffocated by the protagonist? I mean, her eyes were shown unblinking and not a bubble came from her.
Like she did when she was having sex with the man character. She was faking it. Ha ha

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I am reminded of Alexander the Great. Wounded by every type of weapon o fhis day, but only died because he was poinsoned (was drinking, then suddenly felt ill).

Ajax in the movie Troy, or any barbarian in any movie based in ancient greece, or rather ANY barbarian that is fighting alongside "civilised" troops. Said barbarian will die, but will take an imperial fuckton to kill. If there is more than 1 barbarian, then he won' tbe near as tough to kill.

Someperson307

Dec 19, 2008
In The Hills Have Eyes, one of the mutant hillbillies gets shot in the throat and shoulder, yet he doesn't die until he's pushed off a cliff a few minutes later. Also...

At the end, the three main guys shoot each other around fifteen times each, yet they all live for a few minutes afterwards.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
Uh. I think I read somewhere that being shot is actually pretty easy to ignore.
A lot of police officers bleed out after firefights because they got shot and kept going, thinking they were fine.

I mean, it probably hurts like a *****, but it doesn't have that oomph that arrows have. Get hit by an arrow, and that shit will knock you down.
I cannot really remember how it works but TvTropes assures me that is how things go.

You are probably going off of actual knowledge and research, though, so just ignore me.

On topic, it always bugs me when movies and stuff completely ignore ontological inertia. The Matrix Reloaded was a pretty egregarious example.
Trinity's organs would still be falling, okay. They have become seperate entities to her body. They are divorced. They are in a legal battle for their possesions because they never signed a prenupt.
This is why you do not grab people while flying fast enough to create a sonic boom that shatters windows, Neo.
Bullet wounds actually don't hurt much at all. The only reason I even felt mine was because it was an accident, so I had basically no adrenalin in my system. In a firefight, I can easily see not feeling it, and continuing on; you would notice decreased mobility in whatever got hit, and you would get lightheaded as you bleed (which hampers comprehension of the whole situation) but pain would be minimal unless it hit a bone or something. The reason is pretty simple; a lot of skin nerves fire when exposed to air, but bullets cauterize the flesh as they pass through; not deeply enough to stop bleeding, but it destroys most of the surface nerves. A bone hit, though, would transmit damage further away from the bullet wound, where healthy nerves can report damage.

On topic, see this entire article: http://www.cracked.com/article_17573_7-fatal-injuries-that-people-somehow-survived.html

Seriously, one guy survived a fucking RPG to the stomach. Another? 3-foot spike through his brain. And these are real people, not Hollywood.

Also, this one: http://www.cracked.com/article_16497_7-people-who-cheated-death-then-kicked-it-in-balls.html

In this edition, we have a woman who survived a fucking 33,000 foot fall.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Gideon from "Seraphim Falls" survives, in order:

1) Being shot in the shoulder
2) Rolling down a snowy mountain
3) Crossing a log in a manner that would wreak hell on a man's balls
4) Falling off of said log into a freezing river
5) Plummeting down a 50-foot (approx.) waterfall
6) Abandoning his fur coat so that he doesn't get dragged down and drown
7) Sprinting back into the snowy forest immediately afterwards
8) Doing makeshift self-surgery to remove the bullet and cauterize the wound
9) Lying half-naked in the snow whilst recovering from said surgery

And all within the first ten minutes of the film.

May 5, 2010
Might want to put a big spoiler warning up there

OT: Why, Boromir of course, in one of the best death scenes of cinema history.
Might want to follow your own advice up there.

OT: I believe the thread title is actually the subtitle of Uncharted 3. But as far as movies go, how bout the scene with the fighter jet in Die Hard 4?

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
In Bruges, fat middle aged guy gets shot in the neck (guy who played Hagrid can't remember the characters name) crawls up the stairs of a bell tower and throws himself off

Then he tells Roy to take his gun and run away before finally dying