"THAT didn't kill him?"

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So, I was watching The Untouchables yesterday and I got to the scene where Sean Connery gets gunned down in his house by some gangster with a Thompson. But eventhough the old Scotsman has an entire machine gun clip emptied into him, Connery still manages to crawl a good 25 feet through his hallway before dying.

Most people would die right on the spot from the trauma caused by 3 or 4 shots, but Connery just soaks them up and keeps on ticking. I know this is Sean Connery we're talking about, but still, every normal human being has his or her physical limits.

What other movies show characters survive complete medical impossibilities?
You must realize by now, Sean Connery is a god among men.

OT: Sin City. The guy that gets shot with a freaking arrow through the heart doesn't die. Just stands there blankly asking for help.

..Yes, I am aware Sin City is supposed to be over-the-top, but it still counts!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
the_dancy_vagrant said:
gof22 said:
I am reminded of Mr. Orange from Reservoir Dogs. He gets shot in the stomach and he bleeds out a massive amount of blood yet never bleeds to death. Most video game protagonists seem to take a lot of damage without dying.
That one is actually *fairly* believable. Getting shot in the gut can take a horrifyingly long time to be fatal. Ditto for stabbing. In fact...

I'ma turn this thread on it's ear real quick because my last observation brings up the opposite problem - "how did THAT kill him?". Almost any movie where swords/knives are the preferred weapon has people getting stabbed once and they die moments later. Medical science disagrees...unless you get stabbed in the heart, throat, or lungs then you'll linger for a good long while. Ditto for arrow wounds, actually...even if it hits you in the lung, the arrow stays put, which seals the wound. You don't bleed to death for a long time unless you pull the arrow out or it passes all the way through.
I really did not mean the wound but the massive amount of blood you see on the floor towards the end of the film. With all that blood gone it seems he should have been dead before Joe got there.

Mar 20, 2010
Legend of J said:
Thrashgrinder said:
One time The Punisher Got shot 6 times in the chest with a revolver from a point-blank distance. Kept walking and choked the dude, then walked 2 blockes to his home and collapsed on the door. Yeah...
You do know (in the comics) That the punisher wears thick pieces of kevlar and body armor. And he has survived alot even fights with wolverine, Dare devil and spiderman.

The pun was that the skull he wears everyone shoots for that instead of his unprotected head.
yeah i do know that, but when he takes the first shot he says in thinking bubbles "that didnt go all the way in" he keeps walking to the guy. when he takes the second shot he says "that did" after that he keeps walking and takes 4 more shots. and when he gets to his home his naighboor(i think i wrote that wrong) finds him lying on the floor, calls some kind of doctor and the doctor takes out 6 bullets.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Thrashgrinder said:
Legend of J said:
Thrashgrinder said:
One time The Punisher Got shot 6 times in the chest with a revolver from a point-blank distance. Kept walking and choked the dude, then walked 2 blockes to his home and collapsed on the door. Yeah...
You do know (in the comics) That the punisher wears thick pieces of kevlar and body armor. And he has survived alot even fights with wolverine, Daredevil and spiderman.

The pun was that the skull he wears everyone shoots for that instead of his unprotected head.
yeah i do know that, but when he takes the first shot he says in thinking bubbles "that didnt go all the way in" he keeps walking to the guy. when he takes the second shot he says "that did" after that he keeps walking and takes 4 more shots. and when he gets to his home his naighboor(i think i wrote that wrong) finds him lying on the floor, calls some kind of doctor and the doctor takes out 6 bullets.
Actually, what he says in thinking bubbles [footnote]Don't you mean just plain "thinks"?[/footnote] when the first bullet hits is "Kevlar took it. Didn't notice." When the second one hits, he thinks "Kevlar couldn't stop that one." The third one: "Or that one." (I assume we're talking about Welcome home, Frank by Garth Ennis.)

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
CmRet said:
In the Punisher how did Frank Castle not just die from the explosion?!
Or at the least get severely burned! Then again, great film and it goes with the theme of The Punisher.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Aylaine said:
Killing Floor. Damn those Fleshpounders. They are so hard to kill for every class besides Demos and Sharpshooters. :(
I'm pretty sure my SCAR (hell, Bulpup) would disagree with you there!

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
(From http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/citroen-helps-de-gaulle-survive-assassination-attempt)

In August 1962, a group called the OAS (Secret Army Organization in English) plotted an assassination attempt on President De Gaulle, who they believed had betrayed France by giving up Algeria (in northern Africa) to Algerian nationalists. Near dusk on August 22, 1962, De Gaulle and his wife were riding from the Elysee Palace to Orly Airport. As his black Citroen DS sped along the Avenue de la Liberation in Paris at 70 miles per hour, 12 OAS gunmen opened fire on the car. A hail of 140 bullets, most of them coming from behind, killed two of the president's motorcycle bodyguards, shattered the car's rear window and punctured all four of its tires. Though the Citroen went into a front-wheel skid, De Gaulle's chauffeur was able to accelerate out of the skid and drive to safety, all thanks to the car's superior suspension system. De Gaulle and his wife kept their heads down and came out unharmed.

Real-life win.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Susurrus said:
(From http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/citroen-helps-de-gaulle-survive-assassination-attempt)

In August 1962, a group called the OAS (Secret Army Organization in English) plotted an assassination attempt on President De Gaulle, who they believed had betrayed France by giving up Algeria (in northern Africa) to Algerian nationalists. Near dusk on August 22, 1962, De Gaulle and his wife were riding from the Elysee Palace to Orly Airport. As his black Citroen DS sped along the Avenue de la Liberation in Paris at 70 miles per hour, 12 OAS gunmen opened fire on the car. A hail of 140 bullets, most of them coming from behind, killed two of the president's motorcycle bodyguards, shattered the car's rear window and punctured all four of its tires. Though the Citroen went into a front-wheel skid, De Gaulle's chauffeur was able to accelerate out of the skid and drive to safety, all thanks to the car's superior suspension system. De Gaulle and his wife kept their heads down and came out unharmed.

Real-life win.
There are certainly also a lot of real-life medical impossibilities.

I once saw this kid on TV whose skull got dislocated from his vertebrae and it didn't kill him. Or this other guy who had a 2x4 jammed through his midriff.

Mar 20, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Thrashgrinder said:
Legend of J said:
Thrashgrinder said:
You do know (in the comics) That the punisher wears thick pieces of kevlar and body armor. And he has survived alot even fights with wolverine, Daredevil and spiderman.

Actually, what he says in thinking bubbles [footnote]Don't you mean just plain "thinks"?[/footnote] when the first bullet hits is "Kevlar took it. Didn't notice." When the second one hits, he thinks "Kevlar couldn't stop that one." The third one: "Or that one." (I assume we're talking about Welcome home, Frank by Garth Ennis.)
well i have the turkish version of the book(Hoşgeldin Frank in turkish google it :D) and it says what i said. We are talking about the same thing and you know it.

Edüt: this one: http://www.kitapmekani.com/kitaplar/b5f9e8de6434387e2f1f90a60ade6597.jpg

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Thrashgrinder said:
Queen Michael said:
Thrashgrinder said:
Legend of J said:
Thrashgrinder said:

well i have the turkish version of the book(Hoşgeldin Frank in turkish google it :D) and it says what i said. We are talking about the same thing and you know it.

Edüt: this one: http://www.kitapmekani.com/kitaplar/b5f9e8de6434387e2f1f90a60ade6597.jpg
Me, I've got the Swedish one, but the text I posted is in the original English edition that my brother lets me borrow from him.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
No-Superman10 said:
In Preadator a man (Redshirt) gets shot in the chest with the plasma caster, the result? His chest is asplod and you can see his heart. Arnold Shwarzanegger (sp?) get shot in the shoulder and it results in a little bit of red.

Wait what?
Dude, he's Arnold Shwarzanegger!

LimitedPunctuation

Apr 20, 2010
scifidownbeat said:
In the series Lost, when...
the Russian guy walks through an active sonic fence, only to reappear unharmed later on, when Naomi is bleeding out from a gunshot wound. Fortunately that commie bastard gets shot anyway....

Which reminds me, how is it that...
all the main characters, when they get into a major gunfight, either don't get shot or get shot once and recover? And how are the survivors able to kill all their attackers with one or two shots that always hit, and meanwhile the attackers empty whole clips without ever hitting someone? There's gotta be a tvtropes article to explain this....
That would be, Improbable Aiming Skills,
and Dodge The Bullet.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DodgeTheBullet
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImprobableAimingSkills

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
arc1991 said:
Legend of J said:
arc1991 said:
Legend of J said:
arc1991 said:
I wonder how the Pokemon don't die after getting hit multiple times by Fire, Electricity, and Huge Boulders...

But meh, i aint complaining XD
Pokemon carn't die they just faint lol.
Explain the ghost Marowak then?

And Ghost Pokemon must come from somewhere
Im going with NPC pokemon well think about it how many times have you had your pokemon faint throughout the game and not die. Then how many wild pokemon have just fainted. So the ghost marowak is just classed as a ghost pokemon.
But my point is, the Ghost Pokemon must come from somewhere. And if Pokemon don't die, then how are they Created?
They do die. An example of this is when you fight gary in the ghost tower. Realise his ratata isn't with him? You killed it the last time you battled.

Don't you feel horrible now?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
So, I was watching The Untouchables yesterday and I got to the scene where Sean Connery gets gunned down in his house by some gangster with a Thompson. But eventhough the old Scotsman has an entire machine gun clip emptied into him, Connery still manages to crawl a good 25 feet through his hallway before dying.

Most people would die right on the spot from the trauma caused by 3 or 4 shots, but Connery just soaks them up and keeps on ticking. I know this is Sean Connery we're talking about, but still, every normal human being has his or her physical limits.

What other movies show characters survive complete medical impossibilities?
Actually, depending on where people get shot, it can take upwards of an hour to die from 3-4 gunshots. Obviously, a headshot, piercing the heart or perforating one or both lungs will drastically reduce the survival time, but if the victim gets lucky they can live a surprisingly long time. It's really not that remarkable for him to be able to crawl a few yards.

That said, pick just about any action movie from the last 30 years and there will be at least two scenes wherein one or more of the main characters would almost certainly have died in real life. I can't think of any off the top of my head because it's 4:30 in the morning and my brain is barely functional, but it's certainly there.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Aylaine said:
UberMore said:
Aylaine said:
Killing Floor. Damn those Fleshpounders. They are so hard to kill for every class besides Demos and Sharpshooters. :(
I'm pretty sure my SCAR (hell, Bulpup) would disagree with you there!
I play on the last difficulty though, so they can 2 shot anyone but Medic and Berserker. xD
Still not all that bad on Suicidal. It is damn hard, but single-shot SCAR to the face takes them down in about 10-11 hits.

Souldemon8

Elite Member
Nov 30, 2009
At the very end of Scarface with the epic finale battle how does Tony take like 50 something shots straight to the chest and just stands their and takes it. Even if he was coked he still would've just be torn to shreds.