That game that would have been better had you heard nothing about it before playing...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Halo 2. It was the title that taught me not to listen to the hype. Anyone remember this little demonstration?

Turned out it was all smoke and mirrors [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bungie-halo-2-e3-demo-was-a-fake] because Bungie was pressed for time to present something at E3. It was the Aliens: Colonial Marines trailer of its day, only it got a free pass by most because the final product was actually good.
It was alright and it is loved by people in general but the single player was glitchy to the point that a few levels could be downright broken. It's actually part of why I like the game...I love breaking New Mombasa and walking around the first 4 or 5 fire-fights.

---

Bioshock Infinite is a game that I couldn't have avoided and honestly, I think Total Biscuit gave me the best impression of it compared to the other reviews I've seen. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't the 'best game ever' and definitely wasn't the best game of 2013, it wasn't even the best shooter of 2013 as far as I'm concerned. It wasn't a bad game but it just wasn't very engaging to me, especially when I had things like Blood Dragon, Wind Waker HD and, Gunman Clive to play with in 2013

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
That's the Thief 2014 reboot for me (it's so annoying to even bring up the title).
I wasn't looking forward to this game, but still (had to) soak up every bit of information long before it was even officially announced. The years of waiting were a lot more interesting than the bare week I played it before the entire internet seemed to forget about it.

Normally, when I buy myself a game like twice a year or so, I blast through it nonstop the first go and maybe lose a little steam during the second run. With Thief, I had set aside several days to play it, and half the time I would rather do nothing but force myself to play it. It hurt how much unnecessary rip offs, cliches and wasted potential there were to see every minute. It was lackluster with some exceptions.

Had it been my first stealth game without any expectations or promises of groundbreaking AI and story, maybe it wouldn't have annoyed me so much. Both AI and story didn't meet the incredibly low expectations I deliberately held.
There I'm at it again, bashing the game when I still and always wanted to make myself like it. It wasn't bad, just meh, and that's all I can think about. I didn't expect it to stay faithful to the originals at all.

The movement system sounded like a terrible idea, and while it wasn't that noticeable overall, the parts where it screwed up weigh a hundred times harder than the times it just worked.
There's that moment you realize the entire bank vault security system can be bypassed by stepping over a 1-meter long pressure plate, which your masterthief ass is unable to do since you need a jump prompt that wasn't intended there. What was intended was for you to buy and use several masterthief tools to disable the system. These tools are an ordinary screwdriver and a wirecutter that didn't do anything a knife couldn't have done. Each of them costs about more than the entire city's bank's vault you're robbing right now even holds. Good work, fence. Capitalism, ho!

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I have limited income. I need to do some research before I invest into something that costs money. Hype is nice to see more and more content for a game I'm already considering buying but it usually doesn't alter my choice.

I have never tried the Fable series but I think I might enjoy it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I walked into analogue a hate story completely blind, which is good. The dialogue wasn't excellent, but the game play and story were really unique and gripping. I just wandered through it blind, and it was an absolute joy to piece together.

FF7 would have been much improved if it hasn't been hyped and backlash hyped for years, and if a certain scene hadn't been spoiled. On that line, I often wonder how good SW: Empire Strikes Back would have been if I didn't know the ending.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Mmmmm... The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. Granted, I can still enjoy that game if I'm looking to kill an hour with Norman Reedus snarking (in video game mode) the whole time but everyone's all like "it's a cheap cash grab, it's terrible compared to that OTHER Walking Dead game! blah blah waaambulance".

Well... yeah, it's not as good as the other one and the trailer(s) were kind of misleading but as someone who watches the show, I wasn't really expecting it to be an emotional powerhouse like TTG Walking Dead was; it's a Dixon brothers prologue. I dunno, it's hard to explain how I didn't have any expectations when people had expectations. Is my brain turned on right now?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Dark Souls. At least 60% of the game's surprises were ruined when somebody in a forum said "kill da dogs first", /sic. The game is horribly creative with flea-bitten mongrels, and knowing to expect them all the time took quite a lot of fun out of the game.

Oh right, and the various amazing chests in the game and their warnings ruined the funniest part of the whole game for me.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
When I played Fable I was pretty young and had never heard of Peter Molyneux, so I thought it was awesome. Even with the myriad of undelivered promises it still managed a lot of things that hadn't really been done up to that point. I was aware of ol' Pete by the time Fable 2 and 3 came out, but never really payed any attention to his rambling. Still thought they sucked, because they had considerably dumbed-down the mechanics of an already simplistic RPG and had terrible, sluggish controls to boot.