That game that you REALLY want to complete, but always get distracted from

dolgion

Nov 20, 2010
For me it's Planescape Torment. At the time, I never even gave a second thought for it, instead concentrating on Baldur's Gate 2. Years later, the internet says it's apparently a masterpiece, a true underappreciated gem. Of course, I HAD to play it, to enjoy this masterpiece so that I could join the ranks of the RPG connoisseurs who wax lyrical about this shining example of what RPGs should aspire to.

Only, I must have started the game from scratch something like 5 times now. I make it out of the opening area into the City, reading every piece of writing there is, marveling at the vivid descriptions and creativeness of it all. But then, something else comes up and I don't touch the game. I wipe it from my harddrive only to find myself without a save game the next time around. It's got to the point where I don't even feel like playing this game because I'm BURNED OUT from the opening section. Ugh.

Surely you have one such game too?

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Final Fantasy 7. I'm about 10 hours in, and I really, really like it, but I just wont sit diwn and play it. I have the time to as well, but I just end up spending 3 hours on Reddit.

Such is life.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Witcher 2. I really REALLY want to like this series, but I just can't build up the drive to get through it.

Liquidprid3 said:
Final Fantasy 7. I'm about 10 hours in, and I really, really like it, but I just wont sit diwn and play it. I have the time to as well, but I just end up spending 3 hours on Reddit.

Such is life.
Christ I know that feeling.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Half my library, but Skyrim and Kerbal Space Program!

- Black Flag
- Age of all of the Empires
- X-COM Enemy Unknown
- State of DK, or don't name your game after a song...
- RCT3
- Tropico 3
- Mount N Blade
- Far Cry 3 and BD
- Driver SF
- Classic X-*
- All the Thieves
- Asscreed Rev.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Bravely Default. I love the art style and the story and characters are pretty cool. It's a game I'll play for a couple of hours and then not touch it for a month... Bit of a problem when it's an insanely long JRPG.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Silent hill 1. I love it to death, but I don't have much time anymore, and the game pretty much demands that you sit down and absorb the atmosphere. I'll usually play through a part, get to the next puzzle, and then forget about it for a month.

Majoras mask. I love this game. It may be my favorite Zelda game thus far. The atmosphere is perfect, and I love the characters. So why haven't I beat it yet? I've started it about 5 times, but it always falls away around the halfway point and I start over a few years later.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Most of them.

"Puny mortals, tremble before the power of the mighty Azdar!"

"Time for dinner!"

"Mooo-ooom, I'm trying to roleplaaaayyyyy."

"You can roleplay after you finish your vegetables."[footnote]The above may be exaggerated or wholly fictitious. But you'll never know.[/footnote]

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I have a load of games that fit the bill, but mostly these...

Skyrim
State of Decay
Planescape Torment
System Shock 2.

I'm making some progress on skyrim at the moment though!

csulasiris

Nov 5, 2014
Final Fantasy for me. The original. I now own the PS1 remake version, iPhone version, and original Japanese Famicom cart (quite proud of that one) -> have started all several times and never, ever finished it (._.)

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
BG1 and 2. I now own the originals on CD, the GOG version and the Enhanced version on Steam. Just never seem to get through it. Also Planescape Torment.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Let's see... Witcher 2, AC: Black Flag, and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

I'm excited whenever I start playing, and I always start anew to get used to the game and into the story again. But then after a few hours of play other games always get in he way again...

Guy_of_wonder

Aug 28, 2014
Two specific games come to mind.

Darks Souls.
After playing for 50 hours, i hit burn out and haven't played it in a week or so. Stopped after dying in the Demon Ruins after killing the Centipede Demon.

Persona 4 Golden.
I am stuck on the boss fight with Shadow Mitsuo. I was trying to get a Black Frost, but I've spent hours trying to find a Ghoul to finish the summon. I just stopped because that boss fight is a pain in the ass (Shadow mitsuo has two forms and the outer form regens after some time).

I want to beat Dark Souls and Persona 4, but i can't bring myself to grind anymore than i have already.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
dolgion said:
For me it's Planescape Torment. At the time, I never even gave a second thought for it, instead concentrating on Baldur's Gate 2. Years later, the internet says it's apparently a masterpiece, a true underappreciated gem. Of course, I HAD to play it, to enjoy this masterpiece so that I could join the ranks of the RPG connoisseurs who wax lyrical about this shining example of what RPGs should aspire to.

Only, I must have started the game from scratch something like 5 times now. I make it out of the opening area into the City, reading every piece of writing there is, marveling at the vivid descriptions and creativeness of it all. But then, something else comes up and I don't touch the game. I wipe it from my harddrive only to find myself without a save game the next time around. It's got to the point where I don't even feel like playing this game because I'm BURNED OUT from the opening section. Ugh.

Surely you have one such game too?
Ha, my examples are very similar.

I've played BG1 3 times now, the classic once and EE twice. I got distracted from the classic about a 1/4 of the way through because I was having more fun at the time playing Icewind Dale (both games I got on GoG).

For BG:EE, the first time I was probably at the final leg of the game when my computers harddrive decided to blow up.

The 2nd time I had just gotten to Baldurs Gate, was going strong and was happy with my parties progression, but I ended up getting fixated on finishing Blade of Darkness which I had recently bought on GoG. After I did I kind of got burned out on RPGs and fantasy settings, so I went off to play Metro 2033.

Exact same issue for The Witcher 2 really. I was also playing that while jumping from playing BG, Blade of Darkness and Chivalry. By the time I cleared Blade of Darkness I was just fed up with fantasy settings... or swords and sorcery in general.

Strangely enough, this is the same reason why I haven't made much headway into Planescape. Despite owning the game for nearly a decade AND repurchasing it on GoG, I still haven't gotten past the first 5 hours of the game. Every time I attempt it it's usually at the peak of my interest in RPGs just before a drastic drop in enthusiasm. Last time I tried I was after finishing Dragon Age Origins for the first. I decided to load up Planescape again and after a few quests I realised that I was fucking sick of questing.

Next time I get the Fantasy buzz, Planescape and BG will be contending for my attention. I HAVE to beat at least one of them. For fuck sake, I have BG2:EE and I don't want to touch it until I've beaten BG.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Ni no Kuni
Valkyria Chronicles
Bravely Default

JRPG's tend to inspire this feeling heavily in me, because they have so many mechanics that you feel like you need to start all over to get to the level of competency required to complete the game. It doesn't help that I can't do long gaming sessions anymore...anything over two hours and I have to stop and take a break. Just happens as you get older.

That1Guy

Apr 3, 2013
Dark Souls, definitely. The game is great, but I ended up getting stuck in Sen's Fortress. I finally made it past all the traps and snake guys just to get fire-bombed by that stupid giant :p Didn't feel like picking the game up again after that.

Also Zelda: OoT. I've played up to Death Mountain like 5 times and I always end up getting bored before I finish it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Earthbound. I have seen the ending in LP videos because the game usually tops the list of the most disturbing final bosses and the most disturbing background music in non-scary games. But I've avoided the rest of the LPs because reaching that creepy end after going through all the usually colorful and innocent world was the reason so many people got freaked out.

DrGonzo

Oct 29, 2014
Alien Isolation. Since I will only play the game at night with headphones its always very difficult to carve out a good session. Ive had the game for about two weeks and Im at chapter 13 (I think).