That Game You Feel Has Potential, But Completely Failed Delivering.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It would be a great game, as it manages to effectifvely capture the feel of Lovecraft's works, as well as provide a decently entertaining game in it's own right. The only problem is that it has tons of horrible, game breaking bugs. There is an unofficial patch that makes the game playable, but there are still a few glitches that it doesn't fix, like the one where you have to shoot lights on a pier from long distance using a scoped cannon on a boat, except the lights AREN'T RENDERED AT ALL.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Too Human

That other trilogy game announced with Mass Effect 1. The story and concept sounded awesome cybernetics and Norse mythology. Such a missed opportunity.....still a game i wish they would remake.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
the new jurassic park game was pretty disappointing. the visuals look about ten years old, and the nonstop quicktime events get old REALLY fast.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
renegade7 said:
Crackdown 2 just could have been handled a bit better.
That was just a cheap cashin, zero originality, zero work was put into it and killed would could have been a good set of games. Shame as the first game was awesome.

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
Midnight Crossroads said:
Spore

There is no contest. The game is the argument for casual gamers ruining the industry. Entire sections of the game were ripped out or dumbed down. I genuinely feel sorry for Will Wright just thinking about that abortion of a game. He spent his entire career building up to that game. Every Sims game from the 90's was just a demo of some aspect to the greater whole. And EA fucked him, then fired him.

Then, just to piss off any legitimate customer who would dare buy the game, they added SecuRom. It was like EA was selling "Fuck You" made material.

Oh, my God, Spore
THIS.
THIS.
A MILLION TIMES THIS.

My God, the Space stage was so dull they had to make an expansion where OTHER PLAYERS could write missions for them.
Jesus.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
RustlessPotato said:
The Force Unleashed 2. I love myself a good starwars game once in a while and I did enjoy the first one. And then came TFU2 -.-.
TFU1's only problem was how short it was, it was badass otherwise. Then TFU2 comes out and they completely miss the point and make it shorter. The other problem that TFU2 had is they turned Starkiller into a Mary Sue, him being ridiculously powerful wasn't the problem (he was much the same in 1) but that his enemies, including the bosses were incredibly weak, even at the hardest levels the game was a complete cakewalk.

In the first game you routinely face off against legions of enemies that, with the exception of the comically pathetic standard storm troopers, can and probably do kill you if you're not paying attention. Then you fight bosses that are painfully easy to defeat and only one of them (I think only 1 anyway) is a Force user and also the only one that's any difficulty at all to fight.

Newsflash game developers, you don't make a game badass by pitting it's main character up against enemies that have no chance against them, you make it badass by pitting them against enemies that are strong and are a challenge, then the player beats them anyway.

Oh. Of course we can't forget the Yoda cameo, easily the most disappointing cameo in any game ever.
Exactly. I like how TFU made me feel like a Bad-ass Force bomb, which made sense in the story, but still kept it challenging. (Mind, the loading screens whenever I pressed start was kind of annoying :p).

Also, TFU 2 kind of screwed up with the "defeat enemy x with y" type of combat. I think they tried to force players into varying their play style, but it felt flat and they could've done it better. Also, After killing the robots with quick time events x times, it kind of got boring.

And clearly Yoda was put in the game so that they could say "we have put Yoda in the game".

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Already been mentioned so many times, but Spore is what I come to think of as well.
Thought it would be awesome. Fuck was it dull.

Just to mention something a bit more original I'll go with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. I thought it looked like it could be fun, but not mind blowing. When it hit the below-£10-mark I decided to go for it.
Never wanted a game to end that quickly before.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Darren716 said:
Saints Row the Third, I loved SR2 and I was getting extremely hyped for the third seeing as it was taking SR2 and putting it on steroids. But then THQ created a bland city, drastically cut down on weapon selection, and made the story so over the top it eventually seemed boring when you were beating civilians to death with a giant dildo bat.
So much this. After SR2 I was expecting a lot more. They dumbed everything down though. Less activities (Obviously so they could fuck you over with tons of DLC) Way less cars, less clothing options, a shit story (And yes I expect at least a decent story, I liked SR2's) Half the story missions were just introductions to the activities and...the game was TOO crazy. SR2 was wacky, but you could at least take it seriously sometimes. It was also very short.

Whats worse is they already announced Saint's Row 4. Which will likely be even more dumbed down.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
TheDuckbunny said:
Fair enough.
Well, what writing there is! XD

The story was pretty silly to start with, it just got weirder as it went :/

Seriously, why set in a computer? What was wrong with just setting it in the medievil times?

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Westaway said:
Dansen said:
Brink, if Splash Damage actually carried through with their promises and claims instead of blatantly lying to everyone.
Instant ninja. That game could have been the best fps of the decade. So much potential. But it was just awful, such a waste of money...
After a year and a half of hyping it, it finally came out. I bought it for 60$. Within a month I had traded it in for $7.50. That gane is also the reason I had to buy a new controller.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Heavy Rain. The emphasis on story, using minimalist controls in conjunction to perform simple actions, actually interesting characters, a compelling narrative, all working together to form an enjoyable new use for gaming as a medium, where even your failure means the story continues for the rest of the characters.

Or it would, if the game didn't completely bug out half way through, preventing me from finishing it by means of freezing solid for every choice I could make, or if the button combinations weren't designed for someone with an entirely humanless hand. Press square, then circle, then x, then triangle, then R2, then click R3, without dropping any of the buttons? Really? How? I get the idea, but it shouldn't make me physically uncomfortable to play. Fix those issues, and we'll talk.

Mostly, just fix the whole "unplayable past a certain point" thing.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Neverwinter Nights. Great game, but they said it was going to make table top playing obsolete. It could have if they actually made it a direct conversion of the game rules, rather than real-time video game version.

I have played plenty of PC/board games (e.g. Axis and Allies, Blood Bowl) that were direct conversions from the board game rules. I don't see why they wont do the same with D&D.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
renegade7 said:
Crackdown 2 just could have been handled a bit better.
That was just a cheap cashin, zero originality, zero work was put into it and killed would could have been a good set of games. Shame as the first game was awesome.
"Could have been handled better" is just my polite way of saying that not a shit was given about it during production. Granted it was still decent and I would recommend it now that it goes for like $12 used, or as a rental. It just could have been so much better.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
-Samurai- said:
bliebblob said:
silkroad online
Still one of the most interesting pvp systems I've ever seen. But completely ruined by the fact that it's easier to abuse than an illegal daylaborer. It also doesn't help that the rest of the game is a completely generic korean ftp mmo. Complete with insane grinds and a cash shop selling power in bulk.
It also had that great job system going for it. If the game would get bought out by a serious company, it could be amazing.
Yes, perhaps the saddest part is that all the abuse could easily be fixed with some small patches. The developers just don't seem to give a ****. But even if they did there's still the grind. A different company should just straight up copy the pvp system into their own game instead. It's not a nice thing to do, but they really have it coming.
The skill system was indeed pretty good too. But again they managed to ruin it with grind. It's like they think people can't handle unlocking 2 skills in the same month. Also, having to re-cast your weapon buff (the first fire or ice or lightning skill) every 5 seconds is pretty ridiculous. The whole game is littered with similar good ideas, ruined by bad implementation.

I haven't played it in years but I still sometimes lament how good it could have been, if only the developers got their heads out of their asses for 5 minutes.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Halo 2. Everything leading up to that game promised a desperate fight for the future of Earth. Instead they make the Elites good guys, you barely see Earth, and you're dragged right back to the halos to continue fighting the *yawn* Flood. It's like swinging for a home run and you get a fast ball in the nutsack, causing you to lose your grip on the bat which flies up into the stands, gives your best fan a concussion, and the pitcher that beaned you runs off with your wife.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Lets go off my personal list shallll we?

A: The Old Republic The story set up was good, hell the game wasn't all that bad, but its crippled by the MMO aspect, if they had just made it a single player RPG that thins itself down zone wise and has multiple campaigns so you can experience the war from several views it would have sold awesomely as well as cost less money.

B: Borderlands Apparently I missed something that made everyone give their virginity to this game but when me and my friend played it all we got was annoying interfaces, WAY to much of an MMO feel, and no story.

C: Spore We all know this story, needs no repeating.

That's my list, while I expected Dragon Age 2 and Kingdoms of Amuluar to fall under this list I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Captain Epic said:
Westaway said:
Dansen said:
Brink, if Splash Damage actually carried through with their promises and claims instead of blatantly lying to everyone.
Instant ninja. That game could have been the best fps of the decade. So much potential. But it was just awful, such a waste of money...
After a year and a half of hyping it, it finally came out. I bought it for 60$. Within a month I had traded it in for $7.50. That gane is also the reason I had to buy a new controller.
I can't believe how hyped I was. I literally ran through the mall after school to pick up my pre order copy. Not only was it seriously lacking in content, hald the shit didn't work.