"That guy" in online games

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
well OP have you tried gitting more gud?

id say more than anything i despise kids or simply people with super squeaky voices that do nothing but ***** throughout the match, god my ears

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AnthrSolidSnake said:
That's typically when I temporarily dedicate my time to doing nothing but killing him so much that he starts spamming meaningless, half-thought insults until he eventually leaves to go masturbate to make himself feel better or something.

I've been playing almost nothing but Titanfall as far as online games go, and that game seems to be pretty full of those who win a match or two with a high kill score, and do nothing but brag about it for 15 minutes straight, until someone better than him (and usually a bit more humble about it) comes along and stops all over "that guy's" team. It more often than not ends up being hilarious to see "that guy" whine before he disconnects.
This is more or less my strategy. I like giving the hackers, cheaters, trolls, and dicks a nosebleed (gaming-wise, anyway). If they start screaming at me, or sending me hate messages, I've won. And you know, I do normally play nice and sporting. I just don't feel bad if someone's out to cheat or grief.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I used to be a TF2 regular myself, and used to have tonnes of fun. My friends and me played it together every weekend, and it was absolutely fantastic. Then, one of my friends became that guy. First he just got really good at the game. Fair enough, we'd played over 500 hours by that point, and he took it more seriously than the rest of us. Then he started loading up on cosmetics. And then, he started acting obnoxious about how good he was, constantly zeroing in on the rest of us and constantly killing us, then taunting us both in-game and by voice chat, making the game not fun to play.

It's just him and one other person in our social circle that play TF2 anymore.

So yes, I have experience with that guy, and I'm still bitter about it. I'll admit, I do become that guy to some extent when playing Fistful of Frags. For some reason, I'm really good at that game, and I get bored and start being excessively competitive about it. But, because I know how fast that guy can ruin everyone's fun, I try to tone it down.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
ObsidianJones said:
Inglorious891 said:
I've seen "that guy" a few times before. Luckily I mainly run into scrubs, but it happens once every 5 games or so.

Usually he has all of his guns named after 4chan memes (usually /pol/ memes) and spouts the shit every time he gets a kill. And yeah, it's usually LOL GET REKT stuff.

Most distressingly they're almost always Demomen. And they only use the sticky launcher. And the usually they have a pocket medic.

Before you ask, "What's wrong with Demoman?", this is what's wrong with Demoman, among other things of course.

Ok, I haven't played TF2 since it went free to play (massively butthurt about paying money for it). and I always mained Demo/Scout because they were the funniest to me.

And more to the point, Demo is black. That is relevant to my interests.

The sticky launcher was always shit in my mind (don't know if it changed in the years), and I always used the regular 'nade launcher.

your image shows me that people dislike him, but not saying why. I'm sorry, but I do have to ask why does he breed such contempt.
really dude? the game has only gotten better, plus premium players (those who bought the game or have spent cash on the store) have more benefits than free players

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
As a Street Fighter player I have my own mini-game when playing on-line. It's called "Guess if my next opponent is going to play Akuma based only his username". I have something like a 70-80% success rate at the moment. Anyone in the format "xXx_DarkEdgyTag_xXX" is more or less a cert. Of course we now have EvilRyu as well, which makes it slightly harder.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Hi guys, that guy here, ask me anything

I don't play TF2 (too many ponypeople), but I do it on most games that I'm good at. I only do it to feel better about my life, and I'm not actuall really hurting anyone.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Headsprouter said:
I also play a lot of TF2. "That guy" is anyone who says "thanks" after every kill. Not actually typing it in chat, but that would be new level of obnoxious, I'm talking having a keybind to the character voice command, or simply hitting 1->2 or whatever the number combination might be.

I fugging want to strangle those people. How up your own arse can you possibly be?
I ran into a guy who would do the voice command for 'nice shot' every time he killed someone. His name was 'Aimbot Sniper' and he was obviously living up to it (e.g. multiple headshots on me while I was cloaked and just entering line-of-sight). I didn't want to concede the entire server to this guy though so I switched to spy and managed to dominate him just before he got VAC banned. It was very satisfying.

Sep 24, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
really dude? the game has only gotten better, plus premium players (those who bought the game or have spent cash on the store) have more benefits than free players
Most of my friends who I played with at the time were also massively butt hurt. we moved onto other games.

And like you said, it would feel like being out of the spy game for a decade and then suddenly being thrust back in. There are so many new things that I don't feel like learning the game again.

I don't even know what the hell a Demoknight is. I had to look it up. All the time trying to build all that stuff for all these characters... eh.

I'm a fogey. Back in my day, all we had was 2for and we liked it.

Captcha: Four by Two.

... Damn you to the seven hells, you sentient bastard.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"That Guy" is the person who tea bags in Gears of War. It's not even tea bagging, it's moving back and forward really fast while the enemy is down or dead. They usually follow it with a pistol execution just so you and your team can sit there for another fifteen seconds of frustration. It doesn't help that I use weapons that require actual skill (I know that sounds pretentious but fuck the Lancer) so I tend to lose just by virtue of not using the overpowered gun.

Which I why I promptly Digger execute the fuckers who do it.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
So I was on League of Legends...
Yeah, I know, the story can end right there and frankly I'm surprised someone hasn't brought it up already.
Anyhow, I'll just tell my favorite.
So it's myself, two of my friends and two randoms. I'm not great at League, frankly, I'm pretty bad, but my friends are patient and thank goodness they don't care about winning and can laugh at any situation, I have fun playing with them. But one of those randoms, I think his name was ChickenTenders *really* gets on me. Every time I die, "God damn it, Amumu." I score a kill, "GOD DAMN IT, AMUMU!" To be fair, scoring a kill means you're worth more to the enemy team when you die so it's a reasonable gripe.
But I found it hilarious how tenders thought my friend stole all his kills from him, all forty-something of them. They were not stolen, Kyle was playing Teemo and he simply had strategic mushroom placement. For you League players I know that's really pushing the reasonable-gripe threshold but come on, forty kills "you stole all of them!" come on.

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
That guy in an RTS that keeps on spamming the Map with beacons and telling me what I´m doing wrong and only knows the Blitzkrieg (Zergrush, Harresment ... etc.), responding to that guy is gamebreaking, becaus he is not in your TS (mostly becaus you don´t talk to rude people and it would work better in the first place) and it takes time that one needs for microing. Best of them is the uberass that then procedes to kill his allies base with arty. That's a paddle ... with rusty nails ... and SUPER-AIDS.

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
Many people here getting mad at TF2 players who spam voice commands or pubstomp...
Voicespammers often use scripts or do it out of habit, they don't pay attention or hope one in 12 guys gets mad.
Same with people who dominate you. They're just playing the game and you probably look worse from their perspective because you're pissed and out for revenge. It can be easy mistaking people playing well as being dicks. Sometimes I need to remind myself not to take things personal and accept a challenge.

Since I'm probably that pubstomper for some, let me tell you how things look from my perspective. Your attitude is what matters, you may be half the problem.
Normally, I'm a newbfriendly guy. I try to go easy on newbs who just haven't wasted 1500 hours on this game like me. I know being above pub average doesn't make me a good gamer, a "man" or even a comp level TF2 player, or gifted. The only cosmetics I wear are the small handful I found over the years, most isn't fancy. I'll go friendly every time there is a moment to be had, to goof around, give advice or answer questions on chat, congrat players for good kills on me or my teammates ("fine shot mate!"), high five enemies, "save" friendlies and people after round ends. I love little voicecommand conversations and if an enemy goes pootis-heavy, I disguise as him and play his twin for a whole match.
I want to have fun with you, not on your expense. STAR_'s attitude resonates with me.

Yet even I turned into a massive prick days ago, the one you complained about, and I blame my "victim".

We were playing on an achievement server. This guy commented every death with "COME OOON!" on his mic, and asked questions anyone three days in would have figured out. I'd just screw around, he kept attacking me, so I killed him and he would say "stop it!", "asshole...". Eventually, he'd secretly go sniper to bodyshoot me while I was barely playing the game, and he cheered and taunted me on the mic. I wasn't mad, I let him have the joy of this single kill he got. I didn't need to go tryhard and certainly didn't take pride in beating someone who thought "rage" bonesaw medic was a good idea.
Yet I'd kill him as fancy as possible. Normally I'm not nearly that good, but somehow, every single market gardener, stair stab, corner stab, headshot and tauntkill worked on this guy. I'd taunt or voicespam "nice shot!" afterward. All I wanted was to hear him on the mic. It was like holding your arm out while a kid tries to flail at you but can't reach you. I didn't mean anything by it nor felt proud. He started a snowball fight and didn't know I had built a snowball catapult over years. This was only a fierce rivalry in his head.
After he ragequitted and we met again the next day, he calmed down and we were cool.

Sure, there's guys with little self esteem who tell themselves being halfway decent at one GAME means anything. Skill says nothing about personality, or too much free time. With so many teenagers, it's not surprising. They'll get over themselves someday, but you can get over them today. If you mute them, it also mutes their chat messages.
Leech off them. The challenge they pose will make you better. Their personalities should be a reminder for you to never become a bitter ass yourself. Your attitude is all that matters.

-------------------------------

Did I go on a tangent... "that guy" for me are players who are incredibly mean and insult you for no reason, try votekicking you, or call you a hacker. I swear every time it happened to me, I just joined a server, haven't really left spawn, haven't said a thing or was playing average at best. I switch my screennames too often for anyone to remember me.
But every time it happens, it really bothers me and I don't know why. So much for my own advice, heh?

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Ah, THAT Guy. I knew a few during my Halo 3 days when I still tried to give a rat's ass about Multiplayer. There were two I remember very clearly that I'd rather not. One was this obnoxious Canadian kid who wound up getting me and a few friends banned when he was cheating in a ranked team match while being on our team. The other was some Missouri boy who was essentially his douchebag partner-in-crime and all-around unpleasant individual. He played up his skill like the world's pushiest telemarketer on too much cocaine, and I find it amazing just how much my best friend at the time tolerated his bullshit. In order to attempt to interact with that racist, sexist, homophobic manchild you needed the patience of a saint. Hell, I was about to give up on Halo MP altogether when I finally met a real professional who was so skilled, so humble, and so helpful that just by existing he put that little bastard in his place so hard that the shit didn't bother us ever again. It was refreshing to see someone who was so competitive lack that ego. I think the real pro's name was something like Metal falcon or something along those lines, and wherever he is, I hope he's doing well. He deserves that much.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, usually tanks who have no idea how to do their job and blame their screw ups on everyone else (mostly the healer) extra points if they are terribly geared and not using their combo's properly.

To a lesser extent, the players with obnoxious names like "Sasuuke Uchiwa" or one of the hundred variations of Lion/Lock/Leonheart that run around.
As a tank, I fully agree. playing a DPS alt and watching other tanks can be painfully frustrating. But it goes all ways.

"That Guy" DPS edition: the one DPS that is painfully undergeared, doesn't know rotations, and doesn't read the damn descriptions of his own skills. and when offered advice on how to play, immediately gets defensive and more than likely does worse. "That Guy" is the DRG that doesn't use Heavy Thrust, or the level 43 Archer that didn't unlock Bard or get ANY cross class skills.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Such people do not really bother me, I just find another server/game to join. I don't have as much time to play as people like that so I'm not going to, spend have what little time I have, with such people that would only get me worked up. I have no time nor am I willing to let myself get all worked up over some random nobody.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Those people made me quit playing TF2 in the first place. I guess most of them came when it went F2P, which was when the general dumbfuckery went through the fucking roof. Most servers then were filled to the brim with assholes that scream into mics and endlessly quote memes to the point of ruining the game. Never mind that the cosmetics look fucking stupid as hell and don't really fit the style of the game.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
That guy in mmo's with shiny items who gets his ass kicked consistently and then brings a bunch of people to help him out and feels proud about it. Gets his ass kicked even with his new found friends and still finds shit to say to make himself feel superior.
Actually 1/3 of the mmo population is retarded, you win then your'e a cheater, donator and if you lose then you are a scrub, noob and regardless of the outcome your opponent has had sexual relations with your mother..

Ghraf

Sep 16, 2014
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, usually tanks who have no idea how to do their job and blame their screw ups on everyone else (mostly the healer) extra points if they are terribly geared and not using their combo's properly.

To a lesser extent, the players with obnoxious names like "Sasuuke Uchiwa" or one of the hundred variations of Lion/Lock/Leonheart that run around.
I've come to expect it more in particular from a certain specific group of PvPers who pride themselves for being one the best endgame raiding FCs on their server (key phrase: on their server), but one of the slower servers to actual clear content. So, it's like saying you're the smartest kid on the short bus.

One of these particular people ends up in Frontlines playing WHM on a regular basis bragging about how great their FC is at everything (and by extension, themselves) and ends up getting regularly pounded into the ground because they apparently have Medica II in every single skill slot on their hotbars. Then proceeds to lay into everyone around them when they die because it's totally not their fault for having no idea what any of their skills are for. Rampant douchebaggery even afflicts people under the Dunning-Kruger effect.

In other news, there's always "that guy" who refuses to listen to you in Duty Finder runs, usually either the tank or a DPS, spouts their ilvl numbers as credibility and then proceeds to go on and do something pants-on-head retarded, like stand in the soak group in Turn 5 every time to the point that when a key DPS gets conflag'd they end up dying due to too many waxing skin stacks after Mr. "ilvl 110" couldn't pull any real numbers out of his ass, like more than 100 DPS.

Healers tend to be quiet and without comment, luckily, and most of the time if they mess up they admit it or will say they're inexperienced. On the other hand, I don't want to get into what most of my experiences with PLD tanks have been.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Mister K said:
Well, I don't know if my example fits, but still:
In MOBAs this guy picks carry character (i.e. character designed to literally stomp over enemy teams in late game, but is very, VERY weak in the beginning) when team doesn't need one already. This guy demands that everyone would let him solo (to get all the exp). This guy dies every 2 minutes and calls everyone a f****ot and a noob for not helping him when he demanded to play solo.

Screw this guy.
Don't forget the guy who just sits in jungle and forces you to fight 4v5 because he just needs that one item. Or the guy who picks a stealth hero and proceeds to try the most insane solo ganks ever because he never expects the enemy team to know how to counter stealth. And they always, always do.

And the mid pudge. Fuck the mid pudge.