That Moment You Realised You're Old

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
I haven't had an "Holy crap I'm an adult" moment yet partially because really I'm not one yet as I have very few of the responsibilities of an adult. I have had a couple "Holy moley I'm old" moments though.

1. My little sister turned 18 last weekend. When your younger sibling become a legal adult, that feels a little weird.

2. This is a bit of a downer, but when I was student teaching this summer, I was in a 7th grade class and most of the kids couldn't tell me what happened on 9/11 and none of them had personal recollections of that day. That struck me that I had been witness to a major event in American history, if not world history -- something that I see as a memory is now just a historical fact to the next generation.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
The moment I saw a child on a pair of these and thought to myself: That looks cool but dangerous...shame they dont do them in my size...s'pose i'd look like a dick[/I].
http://sofloox.com/data_images/heeleys.jpg

Well there was that, and when I decided Radio 2 is much more interesting, and plays better music than Radio 1. English people will know what im talking about.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
When I first heard 2 pre-teen kids having an argument/discussion about ..well..anything that, to me, sound utterly stupid. It made me remember when I was doing that, how annoying it must have sounded to older people at the time, in addition to how cynical I am (Now that I am intellectually seasoned from many a year of life experience(I'm now almost 28)) when I hear it. Then try like mad to make sense of whatever it is, but can't.

I tend to /facepalm, and think to myself "I can't believe I talked like that, now i know what people felt when they were listening to ME utter nonsense with my friends way back when"

I feel old now.

Mar 28, 2011
On this site; When i recall my favourite game as a PSone classic having owned games consoles from the master system onwards.

Seeing bands i listen to in "Golden Oldies" lists

People saying things like "What's a Bladerunner?"

Looking at smartphones and not knowing where to begin

Opening the curtains in the morning, looking out into the sunny sky, and thinking; "Oh, piss off."

And the very first one;
Stood in line in my local supermarket and a kid is acting naughty. The mother tells her; "You better behave or the man over there will get angry."
I was 18.

I'm now 25.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
DaMullet said:
When I had to explain to my 7 year old son what arcades used to be.
"Well... it was one of these buildings where you could play Daytona" ^_^

SirBryghtside said:
My moment was realising that Morrowind, my favourite game of all time, would be considered as unplayable to kids growing up today as Arena is to me.
Yeah... that's the way it is with some games though: Some games are timeless and as easy to play as ever, some have graphics that are alright or perhaps even great for the time but then become horribly disgusting and painful to the eyes in retrospect (see: almost every single early 3D game ever), then more than being a generational thing... there are those games you love when you're growing up and then you play years later and realize that in many ways it's tedious, unfair and barely playable and very difficult to enjoy despite knowing there's a good game in there somewhere.

Games that kind of tried to possibly do too much with the technology available at the time are examples of that. You could forgive them at the time... but objectively, they're a bit of a pain. Then of course the standards of the times change too, like when I played Deus Ex for the first time a few years ago (our computer wasn't good enough to even play the demo back in 2000 <_<) and kept forgetting to autosave because I've become so used to it that I lost loads of progress several times. Urghhh... just makes you wonder why in God's name it wouldn't autosave often. Hard drive sizes may have been a factor too, though it seems absurd today.

Johnny Impact said:
I've also had conversations about video games with kids who don't show proper reverence for, or even know the name of, Atari.
In fairness... if you look at the history of Atari, they have approximately one thing to really be proud of: the 2600. Oh and the ST but then even that was hugely inferior to the Amiga unless you needed the MIDI port, as we all know ^_-.

They were a major cause of the video game crash, and after their first bankruptcy they were mostly a pile of fail with their series of fail systems like the "64-bit" Jaguar.

Oh and they had the Lynx too. Which of course was technically impressive, but then again how impressive can a handheld be when it's about twice as big as is practical and chews through batteries like it was supposed to. Not to mention clearly not having the games of the Game Boy.

Loner Jo Jo said:
2. This is a bit of a downer, but when I was student teaching this summer, I was in a 7th grade class and most of the kids couldn't tell me what happened on 9/11 and none of them had personal recollections of that day. That struck me that I had been witness to a major event in American history, if not world history -- something that I see as a memory is now just a historical fact to the next generation.
Ya, that'll probably be a big "WHAT?! How... wha... WHAT? o_o" moment for all of us who remember 9/11 for a long time to come. Well, I suppose people who were 40 when it happened are used to remembering historical events that younger people don't by now, but it's still new for us >_>. Even still, it doesn't seem that THAT long ago.

You can't help wondering HOW somebody couldn't know about 9/11, I suppose because in many ways it still seems to be unfolding to an extent.
Also, I guess we're learning what it feels like to witness a truly historical event, the kind many of us don't remember but have heard about like the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Kennedy Assassination.

nothingspringstomind said:
Looking at smartphones and not knowing where to begin
How about: Looking at smartphones, and feeling jaded and unimpressed, thinking that it's the kind of impractical high-tech device that would have impressed you in about 1994 before going the way of virtual reality helmets.

Bucky01 said:
sad that it actually worked on me D:
I remembering seeing The Lion King in the cinema in 1994 and then later buying it on VHS D:

buhee

Jul 6, 2010
SeanSeanston said:
I remembering seeing The Lion King in the cinema in 1994 and then later buying it on VHS D:
My videos! :(
I still have them, disney classics and things like neverending story and the pagemaster, all on video. And I look at them in their big bulky boxes and i think, how did we get from those to tiny flat round things so quickly? And its worse with computers. I remember floppy disks, and how cool they were, and learning about them as brand new super duper technology in school. Then it was cd-roms, now its memory sticks. tiny ones. How can big chunky videos suddenly be in tiny little sticks of plastic. I havn't been alive that long, but remembering old technology (which isn't even that old) makes me feel ancient.

my my real 'i'm old' moment was moving into my flat with my boyfriend, sorting out bills, setting up standing orders and making bank appointments to sort out insurance etc. I went to a sweet shop afterwards so I could feel like a kid again.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
Tonythion said:
many instances now.

The cartoons I used to watch are either no longer running or only on at night for old insomniacs like me.

I don't understand why kids enjoy these annoying shows they watch.

I get angry when people make crappy re-makes of old movies, cartoons, ect. ect. ect.

When I get up from bed with kinks in my back from the previous nights work.
When I look at my bank account and fear that I don't have enough cash to pay bills.

I have to explain to younger people who certain people are or what a VCR is. When kids ask me what I used to do for fun when I was younger.

Driving home from work then crashing on the couch.

But my defining moment was when I was standing in line at the grocery store making small talk with an older woman about "kids these days".

I'm only 19 years old hahaha.
I'm only twenty, but I have to agree.

My mind has always been that of an older person. I never really got along with people my own age until I entered college. I always was able to talk to the adults and have an intellectual conversation with them.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
1.When it snowed and my first thought wasn't OMG It's snowing! snowball fight! but instead sighing thinking of how this is going to mess up my travel arrangements.

2. When one the neighbours kids got a new phone with bluetooth and asked me for help in using it. My phone is a simple old thing and I have never used bluetooth in my life, god that made feel old. I remember when phones were bricks.

3. When my little cousin asked me what we did before we had the internet...

4. When I was finished changing for swimming in one of the cubicles and a kid came up to me and asked "Can I use that sir?" SIR! I'm only 21!

5. On my 21st birthday and the realisation that it's all down hill from now on concerning presents. I am now only expecting to get socks and gift sets from Boots.

Icyheart

Feb 7, 2011
I am the oldest of all my cousins, and my brother, which means over the years I've gotten to see all of them grow up. Just last year, I made a realization: my oldest cousin is entering college, my brother is now a Freshman in high-school, and worst of all, my youngest cousin, the "baby" of the group, is just entering middle-school. I know that, technically speaking, I'm not really "that old", but there's nothing like watching someone else's passage through time to make you feel old.

Ugh. I wonder how I'll feel when the little one graduates college...

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Jamieson 90 said:
I remember when phones were bricks.
Or when having a phone meant you were a drug dealer, or just serious business... or Zack Morris! =D

Jamieson 90 said:
3. When my little cousin asked me what we did before we had the internet...
Let me guess... you gasped at the stupidity of the question at first... before actually having absolutely no clue how to answer? ^_^

It doesn't even bear thinking about TBQH.

Chemical Alia said:
I realized I was old when I heard people talking about Pokemon as a classic game.
Yeah, lolwat.

I suppose it is though really ._.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
DaMullet said:
Johnny Impact said:
I've also had conversations about video games with kids who don't show proper reverence for, or even know the name of, Atari.
In fairness... if you look at the history of Atari, they have approximately one thing to really be proud of: the 2600. Oh and the ST but then even that was hugely inferior to the Amiga unless you needed the MIDI port, as we all know ^_-.

They were a major cause of the video game crash, and after their first bankruptcy they were mostly a pile of fail with their series of fail systems like the "64-bit" Jaguar.

Oh and they had the Lynx too. Which of course was technically impressive, but then again how impressive can a handheld be when it's about twice as big as is practical and chews through batteries like it was supposed to. Not to mention clearly not having the games of the Game Boy.
Your grandparents may not be perfect, but they've been around long enough to see things you can't imagine, and create, with their bare hands and a little something called hard work, many of the things you take for granted today. A little respect, please.

Chogg Van Helsing

May 27, 2010
Tom Artingstall said:
Questioning whether or not I had the right to still ocassionaly enjoy old reruns of Tom and Jerry, I returned home and settled in for a quiet evening of alcohlism, WoW and checking facebook during mana breaks. It was there I realised just how many friends I have (mostly within a year or two of my own age at least) complaining about how annoying their parents were. I gazed around my delightfully empty living room, strewn with takeaway wrappers, dvds, half painted Warhammer models and my pet tortoise, and realised that, holy crapsticks, here I am 400 miles away from my family, supported entirely on my own income and with nobody telling me to get a reasonable amount of sleep or clean my room.

I. Am. Old.
Holy shit you're sound just like me! I prophesie I'd be just like that when I move out haha!

OT: But when I was talking the other day in college about how things were different for kids. Made me realise things were so different. And I unintentionally said 'Back in my day, when I was a kid..."

lol

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
When no one knows who Buffy is. When you meet a kid that existed AFTER the internet. And I'm not talking about Alta Vista internet. I'm talking google internet. You know what I mean.
When you get real excited about Halloween and then realize you need a kid to go tricker treating with or it would just look wierd.