That One (Annoying) Enemy

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Sectopods in XCOM: Enemy Within. In Enemy Unknown they were intimidating the first time, but they fell to H.E.A.T. ammo just like every other mechanized enemy in the game. But the expansion...

So, H.E.A.T. ammo gets nerfed hard, then the Sectopods get a Health buff, and on top of that, they get a buff that halves all the damage they take. Frustrating as **** to deal with.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, personally I...
Tank207 said:
Medusa Heads... I don't think any video game enemy has ever enraged me to the same level as Medusa Heads. Extra anger points if they're in a clock tower stage.
ARRRGH. Fuck those things. And "The Hall." I had an Egoraptor Vs. Battlekid meltdown trying to take down Death.

OT: Any enemy in a character action game that can block any hit until it decides to open up. The tough, slow, blocking types are the worst. Plus they have enough health to make it tedious to fight them. I finally decided to see how badly Mind Over Mutant is, it's been rough for me being an original Crash fan. But I've been running by most enemies because the combat is sluggish and I don't have time to lay into the frost mutants over and over.
And Radical can burn in it's grave for that level design. Holy shit is that game terrible.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Mangod said:
Sectopods in XCOM: Enemy Within. In Enemy Unknown they were intimidating the first time, but they fell to H.E.A.T. ammo just like every other mechanized enemy in the game. But the expansion...

So, H.E.A.T. ammo gets nerfed hard, then the Sectopods get a Health buff, and on top of that, they get a buff that halves all the damage they take. Frustrating as **** to deal with.
Ninja'd on that one. Not only that, they also increased their DEF, which made no sense whatsoever. Now for no reason at all, your guys had a harder time hitting them than they did a 3 foot tall skittering Sectoid

X-Com again (old school) but in X-Com: Apocalypse, there were these small little aliens that would see your guys, and then run at you at about 60 MPH and explode. God they were fucking awful (actually, pretty much any enemy that runs at you and blows up sucks).

Any of the Ghost/Spectre/Wraith enemies in "Pillars Of Eternity", who instantaneously teleport right next to your magic users and ranged guys and murder them in about 2 seconds (especially early game).

In Diablo 2, those Goddamn Fetishes in the 3rd act. They moved fast as shit, could breathe fire, always came at you in swarms of about 500, could hit you with blowguns from a distance or knives up close, and the final cherry on the shit sundae: they had Shamans who would resurrect the dead ones while you were fighting them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Arahabaki's or Girimehkala from nearly all SMT games. Elemental/Physical shields.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Cycloptomese said:
In the first Ninja Gaiden game for the original Xbox from Team Ninja... Toward the tail end of the game you start to encounter these ghost fish. They're nothing on their own, but they come at you in packs and attach themselves to you, slowly draining your health. You have to button mash to get them off of you. REALLY annoying.

Seriously, it was a crazy challenging game filled with tough enemies, but these little bastards were the worst.
Learn to do an infinite combo with the Vigoorian Flail using jump resets and you'll rejoice every time they show up to give you more health and money.

If they come by during a boss fight, though they can really suck.

fallte

Dec 15, 2010
Prometheans in Halo 4. Sure, 343, what I particularly enjoy is a single fight to last half an hour on normal because these guys are fucking bullet sponges and the weapons they drop are next to useless against them.

Full body armor dudes from MGSV. Now, I realize this is a video game, but there is no way in hell any body armor can stop a 7.62 bullet from a combat rifle at almost point blank range let alone 3 whole clips. A single dude like this meant I had to bring a shotgun (which would ironically be less effective in real life) or a grenade launcher just because of him. Same goes for indestructible ballistic shields. Just nope.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Something Amyss said:
What I'm curious about is what comes to mind in this case.
Not annoying in the traditional sense, but annoying in the "I've never wanted to kill anything so badly before" sense.

Long past the point where it was relevant for me to kill them, I would run miles out of my way just to smash them, and hear the sad buzzing sound they made as their broken corpses fell to the ground.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Arch-Viles from Doom II. From a level design perspective they're awesome because they force players to reassess their tactics very quickly and you need a good understanding of your surroundings (or the BFG) to defeat them. But while you're actually fighting them they're a nightmare. They're fast, have an undodgeable attack that can reduce your 100% health in two hits and on top of all that bring dead monsters back to life.

I remember Max Payne 3 having some ridiculously tough military police in later stages that will only go down if you headshot them. I hated those guys.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Sloth for Bayonetta 2, especially in Infinite Climax mode.
Their attacks are annoying to dodge, either being so fast that you need a quick read and dodge or with such a specific tell and delay that an immediate dodge makes you evade the attack but not get witch time from it. They also have a big range of attacks that they'll do seemingly at random unless you find a specific groove that keeps him doing one or two counter attacks.
Attack patterns are only half of it though. The other half is the fact that sloth will constantly dodge all your attacks unless you're in Witch time, meaning that you have to always in close quarters dodging all his hard-to-predict attacks or else you lose your combo entirely and thus lose your Pure Platinum rank for that fight.
And then they have the nerve to have you do a Sloth fight in a narrow hallway with a camera that loves to push itself against the wall that Sloth will oh-so-happily jump out of frame of.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Cycloptomese said:
In the first Ninja Gaiden game for the original Xbox from Team Ninja... Toward the tail end of the game you start to encounter these ghost fish. They're nothing on their own, but they come at you in packs and attach themselves to you, slowly draining your health. You have to button mash to get them off of you. REALLY annoying.

Seriously, it was a crazy challenging game filled with tough enemies, but these little bastards were the worst.
You can use the flails like sageoftruth said, or because I never used the flails, you can just jump back and forth and press x with the dragon sword. They will never hit you because they can't while you are airborne. You can farm really well using this method.

If they spawn with a boss, well....that is a little tougher lol. I usually just lightning them if I can't get enough space to do the dragon sword trick.

I found the lazer drones more annoying. The military enemies in general really. Hate that chapter.
But seriously, trying to get on that boat in the moat but you keep getting thrown off because the stupid lazer drones. God.

Diablo 2, the bone fetishes and the chaos mage dudes. The former explodes on death for a shit ton, the latter uses the awesome necro curses. Before the mages had iron maiden as well (reflects physical), thank god that was taken out. Also the freaking lightning beetles. Also the poison vipers but that is because of a bug, you can't move in the poison cloud because it will reapply the damage every frame, so you basically are instakilled.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Comic Sans said:
Cliff racers. There, thread over. Nothing is more obnoxious.
Ummm...I need context. What game is this?

Something Amyss said:
Though Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast version) was worse than any FF game I remember.
Speaking as a Skies of Arcadia fan, can I...get an explanation there? Without a doubt, it's got annoying enemies, especially in the Looper class and any creature using an instant death move, but I've been wanting to get this game back badly.

OT: And yet, I must say that Final Fantasy 8 takes the cake once again for making ALL the enemies annoying because they grow with you so you cannot level dominate them. This was a TERRIBLE idea. Maybe this was the point of Tactics, because it's a strategy game, but the core games were not.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
beat Halo 5 legendary solo last night and i cant stand the new Promethean soldiers.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
FalloutJack said:
Comic Sans said:
Cliff racers. There, thread over. Nothing is more obnoxious.
Ummm...I need context. What game is this?
Morrowind. Cliffracers are notorious for their speed, preventing you from fleeing without some special potion or spell; their line of sight, since they're high up in the air; their frequency, since they're everywhere; and the horrible screeching noise they make. They aren't what you'd call hard for any but the lowest level characters, they're more of an annoyance that necessitates you stopping what you're doing to kill them every few paces. The absolutely terrible combat of Morrowind doesn't help in this regard either.

Play Morrowind and you'll have a powerful hatred for them by the end.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Speaking as a Skies of Arcadia fan, can I...get an explanation there? Without a doubt, it's got annoying enemies, especially in the Looper class and any creature using an instant death move, but I've been wanting to get this game back badly.
The original version had random encounters every, like, four steps or something absurd but not quite as hyperbolic. In a game with hidden items and a focus on exploration, this high frequency could really wends up making any enemy annoying. Especially since the game had (admittedly mild) punishments for running from battle too often.

Hell, even the Legends version (Which I played more than the original), which featured a drastically reduced encounter rate, often had its encounter rate noted.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
FalloutJack said:
The original version had random encounters every, like, four steps or something absurd but not quite as hyperbolic. In a game with hidden items and a focus on exploration, this high frequency could really wends up making any enemy annoying. Especially since the game had (admittedly mild) punishments for running from battle too often.

Hell, even the Legends version (Which I played more than the original), which featured a drastically reduced encounter rate, often had its encounter rate noted.
There did seem to be alot of encounters, yes. This was actually quite helpful right before a boss, but I can see where that gets annoying anywhere else. My thing is that because I've played a number of Final Fantasy games, all the Persona games, and SMT: Nocturne...I'm hilariously use to grind.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010

The Eggplant Wizard from the original Kid Icarus, by far, is the first and most annoying enemy I've ever encountered. The 3rd world's boss-level has a room that immensely frustrated the fuck out of me, a few screens before the boss itself. There's 2 eggplant wizards in the room, which is consisted of a hallway in the middle and an alcove above and below, with the doors out on either side of the hallway. The lower wizard is tossing Eggplants at you constantly and there are many strategies to get past or kill him but they're all equally difficult and caused an 8 year old me to go into ragequit mode so many fucking times.
Fuck you Eggplant Wizard, fuck you in your eggplant tossing ass.

EDIT: For the younger gamers who never had to deal with this assjack, the Eggplant Wizard does not harm you but rather changes you into an eggplant with legs, forcing you to trek while unable to attack back through the boss level and find a Hospital room to change you back. Then trek all the way back to that room (avoiding other EW's) and try again. And again. And again.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
sageoftruth said:
Cycloptomese said:

Learn to do an infinite combo with the Vigoorian Flail using jump resets and you'll rejoice every time they show up to give you more health and money.

If they come by during a boss fight, though they can really suck.
Truthfully, I eventually got to where I could handle them no problem with the chucks. It's just that I barely remember most enemies from that game... but I remember the ghost fish. They really left an impression.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Nearly every single enemy in Metroid Prime 2. For the record, I love the game for its art design and the creature creation. The environments are suburb and the Luminoth are compelling.

But the level of difficulty between the first and second Prime games is night and day. The enemies in Prime 1 had much larger hit boxes and generally didn't need a lot of strafing to aim where you needed. Prime 2 has a ton of enemies that require more tedium and time to kill.

Here's the list of enemies that I particularly dislike.
Dark Commando Pirates: Pretty much a nuisance until you get the Dark Visor. They phase in and out of reality, making you lose your lock on. And their introductions involve locking the door until you've killed them all or until a minute passes and they bugger off. If you're lucky enough you'll land a hit with the light beam.

Quad MB and CM: The floating CM has a shield if it's by itself and shoots lasers at you. The CM can only be killed if you hit the shield with the polar opposite gun and then blast the bajeezus out of it. The MB can only be killed if you hit it with a Morph Ball boost when it's spinning around and then boost under the red light that's underneath. It can't be killed any other way.

Grenchlers: Just the normal ones. They have a lightning shot that comes from their horns, they charge after you, they swim after you, and they have an extremely annoying horn attack that has insane reach. And it doesn't help that these guys are considerably fast and you'll often fight them within small spaces. The only way to kill them is to shoot their back panel. There's no other weak spot.

Sporbs: They just make Morph Ball puzzles more of a hassle than they should be. They aren't killable when you first approach them. But once you turn into Morph Ball mode they pop open and then they will either shoot you off the Spider Ball tracks with acid spit or grab you with their tentacle. And only then can they be killable if you quickly pop out of Morph Ball mode.

Bloggs and Alpha Blogg: These swimming creatures probably have the smallest hit box by far. They're only killable if they aggro, charge you, and then open their mouths the split second they're about to hit you. And Alpha Blogg is the worst of this because he will feign his attacks a lot.

Nearly every other enemy either has a shot or an attack that makes you lose your charge shot and stun you OR just takes a crap ton of ammunition to kill. I don't remember that happening nearly as much in the first Prime game with the exception of the beam pirates. Holy mackerel on a cracker, none of the enemies in this game I remember fondly.