That Time I Loved a Crappy Gundam Game

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Sometimes the games you remember the most are the ones best suited for the bargain bin. This week, we take a look at a not-so-classic mecha game and examine how the rose-tinted glasses of fandom can transform a turd into a triumph.

Read Full Article

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
StewShearer said:
Halloween is in the air and it's time to play something scary! Come back next week for my review of Resident Evil 2!
Perhaps after Halloween, you could pop in a Macross title? ;)

<youtube=dyB422WitQM>

(No idea if it's any good.)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I remember this game. I don't think I was as young as you when I played it as I remember it being less than good, but I remember enjoying it all the same as I got to control a Gundam, and Gun Damn that was awesome. I also remember the side content that allowed you to control various other Gundam series Mobile Suits like the GM and Zaku as well as others. Some of those were terrible and very difficult to kill enemies with.

Also, you didn't make a playthrough using just the Hammer? I can't imagine anyone accomplishing anything with that horrid weapon. It sucked so bad.

Now, if you want a game that does allow you to dash around as a awesome weapon of mechanized death, you should try (and possibly review) Zone of the Enders on PS2. You could also try Zone of the Enders: Second Runner as it is the better game.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Saltyk said:
I remember this game. I don't think I was as young as you when I played it as I remember it being less than good, but I remember enjoying it all the same as I got to control a Gundam, and Gun Damn that was awesome. I also remember the side content that allowed you to control various other Gundam series Mobile Suits like the GM and Zaku as well as others. Some of those were terrible and very difficult to kill enemies with.

Also, you didn't make a playthrough using just the Hammer? I can't imagine anyone accomplishing anything with that horrid weapon. It sucked so bad.

Now, if you want a game that does allow you to dash around as a awesome weapon of mechanized death, you should try (and possibly review) Zone of the Enders on PS2. You could also try Zone of the Enders: Second Runner as it is the better game.
I did indeed! It sounded a bit repetitious to throw another "and then I beat it with just" in there.

And actually, the Gundam hammer is one of the best weapons in the game depending on the situation. It's junk against the smaller enemies like the Dops and Magella attack tanks, but against larger targets it owns. The key is to exploit its stun ability. Every time it hits an enemy mobile suit they'll stagger for a second. If you time it right you can hit them right as they come out of it, stunning them again. Keep up the rhythm and they won't even be able to fight back.

Also, in the Garma's Fate mission, the hammer is devastating against the Gau carriers. All you need to do is jump to the top of a skyscraper, wait for a Gau to fly into range, jump on top of it and hit the central section with the hammer. One hit kill. :)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
RA92 said:
StewShearer said:
Halloween is in the air and it's time to play something scary! Come back next week for my review of Resident Evil 2!
Perhaps after Halloween, you could pop in a Macross title? ;)

<youtube=dyB422WitQM>

(No idea if it's any good.)
I don't think this is actually available in North America... the publishers got a Demo out which is why people have heard of it but the actual release was killed by Harmony Gold (The Robotech License Holders).

I'm glad you reviewed this though as I've been debating picking it up at a used place (I'm obsessed with Giant Robots/Mecha) but now maybe I'll avoid it and just replay Zone of the Enders again.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I remember this game. Ahh, the time when Gundam was love. Nowadays I don't care for Gundam unless it stars Domon Kasshu.

Could I get a review of one of the biggest cult hit JRPGs of all time, The Legend of Dragoon?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hehe

I was right there with you man, I 100% that game, a couple times >.>.

Then Federation VS Zeon came out and I never looked back. So many more suits, so many more weapons ... :D it was awesome (plus the two player matches where me and a friend would have an AI controlled Big Zam just running around the field helped a lot XD)
kyosai7 said:
I remember this game. Ahh, the time when Gundam was love. Nowadays I don't care for Gundam unless it stars Domon Kasshu.

Could I get a review of one of the biggest cult hit JRPGs of all time, The Legend of Dragoon?
Gundam still is love for some of us. speaking of G-Gundam, you tried Build Fighters? Requires about the same head space as G-Gundam to get into.

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
Oh god, I wasn't expecting feels. As a hardcore Gundam fan growing up as a teen and into my 20s, I sometimes wish I could appreciate things I like without such a critical eye all the time. I went back and played Jaburo a couple years back, and had almost the same experience. But remembering these games is still pretty exciting. Now I'm really itching to find my copies of Zeonic Front, Fed vs Zeon, and Encounters in Space to get my Gundam groove back.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Jaburo, for it's time, wasn't a horrible game.
Yes, the control are...well...RE controls, but it kind of 'works' in that whole 'mecha should move that way'.
Still, it's probably the second weakest of the PS2 line up, the first being MSG: Battle Masters 3.

BM3 is a sequel in ONLY name.
BM1/2/M were GREAT Street-Fighter-With-Gundam games, BM3 was shit.

IF you want a good Gundam game, try MSG: Gundam VS Zeta Gundam.
The controls are solid, there's an INSANE amount of content, the graphics STILL looking good, and it's a total nostalgia ride though out most of the shows in the MSG franchise.

If you want a Gundam game, that's not really 'Gundam', try MSG: Zeonic Front.
It's like Gundam meets SOCOM.
XD

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
The only localized Gundam games I've yet played are Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front (Good fun that was), and Dynasty Warriors Gundam (Never played a Warriors game before that, so I was able to play it without Warriors fatigue gnawing at me). To every body that enjoys mecha games and wishes for a good game that incorporates licensed franchises such as Gundam, Macross, and Dragonar (oh my!) in one giant crossover and don't mind importing I'd recommend the Another Century's Episode franchise for the PS2/3/P. I've been told that its mechanically similar to the Zone of the Enders games as well, so that's a plus if you enjoyed those games.
The PS3 and PSP releases, ACE: R and ACE: Portable can be played on any PS3 or PSP as they lack region locking, however the first three games, ACE 1, 2, & 3 would require a Japanese or modded PS2 to play.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
kyosai7 said:

Well It's kinda hinted that Domon might be in gundam build fighters try since the first episode is full of G gundam references

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I actually loved the game, especially with how clunky the gundam was to pilot. It felt like what I always imagined piloting the gundam would be like, especially to a novice pilot in his first tour planetside. And I especially loved the side missions where you could play as other mobile suits: I'm still bewildered by the fact that my absolutely highest score in any of those was with a Zaku I. How does that work?

As far as a game more in keeping with the combat dynamics of the show (especially in space), I think we're still waiting on that. Granted, we have ZoE 2, and that's really all anyone needs for a kick ass mech game.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Risingblade said:
kyosai7 said:

Well It's kinda hinted that Domon might be in gundam build fighters try since the first episode is full of G gundam references
Trying this anime nao. *rushes to Crunchyroll*

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Risingblade said:
kyosai7 said:

It's the second season to build fighters though so you might want to watch that first. Plus Try is only has 2 episodes out so far xD

Sep 14, 2009
Tanis said:
If you want a Gundam game, that's not really 'Gundam', try MSG: Zeonic Front.
It's like Gundam meets SOCOM.
XD

gundam....meets SOCOM?!?! holy fuck. must contain urges.

must.buy.game.now.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Gundam GP01 said:
kyosai7 said:
Risingblade said:
kyosai7 said:

Actually, Sunrise (or Bandai, don't really know) runs an official youtube channel called Gundam.info, where they upload things like ads for gunpla kits and entire gundam series, including Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try in a variety of subtitled languages.

They also have slightly more recent stuff like 00 and the SEED HD Remaster, too.
You. I love you. If you're a man, we shall have fun time together. If you're a woman, well, the time will simply be more fun for me.

EDIT: Well, we have a problem, Houston. The only subtitled Gundam Build Fighters is in Thai...

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
The Artdink Gundam series are as simplistic and baseline for "mecha arcade" games as they get. I kind of want to see a true and blue Ace Combat style gundam sim. High throttle dodging moves with little auto aim.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
StewShearer said:

Sometimes the games you remember the most are the ones best suited for the bargain bin. This week, we take a look at a not-so-classic mecha game and examine how the rose-tinted glasses of fandom can transform a turd into a triumph.

Read Full Article
Are you 100% sure the PS3 version didn't just suck compared to the PS2 version? That happens a lot these days with remakes, you know. Remember Conker? Silent Hill 2? Turtles in Time?

You're wise not to trust your Nostalgia Goggles, but hunt down a PS2 sometime. Play through the old game, with the old controller. See if it's still AS bad. Sometimes it's the subtlest of details that kills an experience, especially if it was originally crafted to make the most of a limited platform.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Man, I have, and still love the game.

I loved the Zeon cutscene gal. I have no idea who she is as a character, but she's got a look I really like.

And this:
just made my day! Hell, it still does.

I just hated the less than ideal "s" sounds. Way too hissy.

In the early days of gundam, it feels pretty accurate to me. Before Gundams evolved into hyper agile, ultra fast war machines. Not that I'm complaining.

The RX-78 was hardly graceful. Not much was graceful back then in terms of mecha, really.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll indulge more in the cut scenes.

I'd put Zeonic Front as a "crappier" game, but then again I never got the hang of it back then, so it might be more my fault.

Edit: Wait, there's a ps3 version? Huh. Might consider that version.