That's so hot! ... Xbox problems. :(

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
Okay, lately my Xbox has been overheating alot lately if I play a game that isn't installed after 30minutes.
It all started when I bought Resident Evil 5, the game over heated, I just thought it was the disc spinning so fast from the awesomeness, so I installed it, seems fine.
But now when I try to play the non-installed games it overheats.

The Xbox is basically in the middle of the room surrounded by nothing, but it is on the carpet standing up (will be moving it to laying down on a wooden table, see if that will help.)

Is there any other things I could do to try and stop it overheating?
I'm tempted to get one of those fans that blows air back into the xbox to cool it, anyone have that and does it work?

(Also, I've emailed Xbox support so many times, they suck at giving advice, just linking me to places that I've already been.)

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Get a 3rd party fan - don't buy the one that plugs into your 360 as uses power FROM the 360, so it kinda defeats the point...

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
D_987 said:
Get a 3rd party fan - don't buy the one that plugs into your 360 as uses power FROM the 360, so it kinda defeats the point...
Any links to any of them? Or a certain company that would provide them?

megacaleb

Apr 2, 2009
i keep my xbox flat and i bought one of those platforms with holes for laptops and i keep it on that. i dont know how much it helps but i have only had overheaat problems once and that was with oblivion.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ROFLross said:
D_987 said:
Oh, by third party I just meant any regular fan =)

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
I've read a couple of reviews to the cooling fans, very mixed opinions to be honest; apparently it makes your Xbox louder, but that wouldn't bother me too much.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Carpet and electronics don't mix, particularly ones that tend to overheat far too easily.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
D_987 said:
ROFLross said:
D_987 said:
Oh, by third party I just meant any regular fan =)
Ooooh. Okay, I gotcha; with a normal fan, would you just stick it behind the Xbox aiming the air towards the other fan or something?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ROFLross said:
Ooooh. Okay, I gotcha; with a normal fan, would you just stick it behind the Xbox aiming the air towards the other fan or something?
Yeah, just make sure your fan isn't to close to your 360, but far enough so the air is defiantly cooling the system and play normally.

Andre Bonner

Apr 1, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Carpet and electronics don't mix, particularly ones that tend to overheat far too easily.
Indeed. Get it off the carpet, and onto a hard surface. If it's still going nuts, make sure your house has the air conditioner or a fan on, and if it's STILL being gay, it's your machine. Call XBox support.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
D_987 said:
ROFLross said:
Yeah, just make sure your fan isn't to close to your 360, but far enough so the air is defiantly cooling the system and play normally.
Sigh, probably going to be a problem with trying to find a place to put the fan, going to move it to the wooden place, if it still overheats I'll have to find a place to put the fan.

I really don't want to get it sent away or buy a new one.
Like the RRoDs, will I be able to send it away and get it repaired for free? Or will I have to pay (will trying to repair it even work?).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I'm no expert but this is what I do:

I keep mine on top of stacks of videos on each side, with the machine places halfway on each box. This brings it about half a foot off the floor away from the carpet and leaves space underneath it.

I did a little diagram below :)

It's about a foot and a half from the wall behind it and I switch it off for 20 mins after every two and a half hours.

I've never had it overheat, but it certainly has crashed playing Oblivion and F3. Even installed to the hard drive Fallout 3 heats it up like a ************!

---xboxxboxxbox
---xboxxboxxbox
video----------video
video----------video
video----------video
video----------video

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
I heard something about an xbox user separating the Disc drive from the xbox360 and submurging the electronics in oil to cool it.

If that seems over the top you can just get a freezer and put it in there.

If that seems other the top then just go with a desktop fan and point it so it blows air around it from the front.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
Okay, I've moved my xbox into it's new place, see if that will work.
If not, there is one more place that I can put it which is quite high up, but I fear the wires wont reach. But if I can get it on that high place, I would be able to put a fan near it.

One thing, the place that I have my Xbox, is near a radiator, no matter what, (which is usually off except in the winter, but even then it didn't over heat when it was on) so I've tried to move it away from that as best as I can, but the radiator never made it over heat before.

The only other times that it had over heated before I got Resident Evil 5 was when I had it in my room, which is like a hot box because the heating is broken and the room just becomes an oven, but even then the xbox would still play for a good 2hours before overheating.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
Sigh, no luck moving it to another location.
I may just keep it there for another week, if it seems to get worse I'm going to put it up on a table with fan blowing at it.
Maybe that might work.
If it doesn't - I may end up purchasing one of those fans that connect to the back of the xbox.
IF NONE OF THEM WORK - I'll probably just have to get it sent away and fixed.
If they can't fix it.. Then damn. :( I need a job.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
I think I have been very lucky with my xbox, I have never had problems at all. I have the fan that plugs directly into the Xbox, I think it works fine but then again I wasn't having any problems so.

Droids_Rule

Mar 26, 2009
My 360 was overheating. I sent it in to Xbox Support for a replacement and got a new one in 2 1/2 weeks. :p

If it's overheating there are steps you can take to prevent it such as keeping it off the carpet, well-ventilated, etc. But if it's STILL overheating then you probally have a lot of gunk and dust lodged WAY deep in your 360 and opening it will violate your warranty. I'd, honestly, just send in for a repair/new one.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
Droids_Rule said:
My 360 was overheating. I sent it in to Xbox Support for a replacement and got a new one in 2 1/2 weeks. :p

If it's overheating there are steps you can take to prevent it such as keeping it off the carpet, well-ventilated, etc. But if it's STILL overheating then you probally have a lot of gunk and dust lodged WAY deep in your 360 and opening it will violate your warranty. I'd, honestly, just send in for a repair/new one.
When sending it away, did you have to pay for it or anything?
I do have a feeling that it may be clogged up with dust and crap like that.

I put my Xbox in a different place, still over heated, I put it back into it's original place but this time had a fan pointing at the back on full blast, it still over heated.

I can play Live Arcade games fine on my xbox, but when ever I put a disc in and try to play it from harddrive, it still overheats.
Doesn't seem to over heat much when I play Street Fighter IV, and I play that alot - but I recently rented Halo Wars, and I'm never going to be able to complete it because the game seems to make my xbox over heat like mad.

-> Plus, I've had my xbox for almost 3 years (in september), it's been sent away once (last novemeber) for RRoD. Is there some kind of reason why they wouldn't repair it because I've had it so long?

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
-> Okay, having a fan blowing didn't seem to help either, in fact it seemed to make it over heat quicker?
I think I'm just going to have to call up support now. :(