That's your arguement...?

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
So I recently came across someone stating that this DJ I like listening to was unoriginal and copying Monster Cat with his Equalizer. First off, he works along side Monster Cat on several occasions, but that's beside the point. Myself being a classy gentlemen pointed out that several other users on YouTube use and equalizer and named a few as an example. His utterly rude response? "You said several! That's only four!" ...Well thank you for knowing how to count. I'm done feeding the troll but still, that makes me curious. How many times have you heard someone you're arguing or debating with counter your statement with something completely absurd you can't see why they think it's a good counter? This doesn't really mean cases like mine, I'm sure we've all had a run-in with the stupid troll. I'm talking actual debates and such on a civil manner.

For example, my friend who's great at math until it comes to the simple stuff said the answer to that equation going 'round (1+1+1+1+1*0) was 0. So I pointed out to him that the answer is really four due to the Order of Operations. His response was "PEMDAS isn't in affect because there are no Parenthesis." Unfortunately had I to yell at him to prove my point...My example was "Let's say you have two apples, twice as many oranges and thrice as many bananas. That means our equation is 2 + 2*2 + 2*3. By counting the fruits, you can easily tell that you have a total of twelve fruits. However, if we follow your method, 2 + 2 = 4. 4*2 = 8. 8 + 2 = 10. 10*3 = 30. -insert yelling- So with 2 apples, four oranges and six bananas, we have 30 fruits in total! Thank you oh wise genius of the mathematics!"

So yeah...Care to share anyone?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
bascially I was talking to somone abotu controllers where they used the terms "unwashed masses and game controllers" together

and there didnt seem to be any sarcasm....

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Oh, if I had a cent for every time I could sum up the other person's rebuttal of my argument as "My life's experience is different than yours therefore you're wrong and have no clue what you're talking about"...

I'm also going to stick the ever-reliable XKCD into this one, too, by the way:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/argument_victory.png

Because I often feel in these internet arguments that I should just say "Screw you guys, I'm taking a water slide. WHEEEEeeeee---"

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
TheNamlessGuy said:
YEAH WELL YOUR FACE!
Ugh... I hate it when people do that, my brother did it every single time, it was so annoying, probably explains why I always want to punch him in the face, specially since that ends discussions since every other thing you try to bring up they just answer with "You're face" again, so annoying, really every single person that has done that should be punished with a punch directly into the nose.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
OT: YEAH WELL YOUR FACE!
Yeah? YOUR MOM! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!

...That's what she said.

(This combo has actually has been used on me as an argument ender. I nearly choked to death.)

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
I overheard a conversation where one girl asked another what her problem with a third girl was.

Girl A: "I know she comes off as serious but she's a laugh to be around once you get to know her. Not afraid of laughing at her own expense either."

Girl B: "It's not that I think she's boring."

Girl A: "Something she said then?"

Girl B "No..."

Girl A: "What then? I swear you're ignoring her on purpose."

Girl B: "She is just so short!"

Me: o_O what

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Vault101 said:
bascially I was talking to somone abotu controllers where they used the terms "unwashed masses and game controllers" together

Did that happen to come from this website? I've noticed that a lot of people like to throw around buzz words like "unwashed masses" and "dumbed down" (usually with an implied "for consoles" if it's not outright stated) and "appealing to the lowest common denominator" when they get into debates.

By the way, those buzz words are my answer to this thread. Once I read/hear something like that, I stop taking their argument seriously.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Unia said:
I overheard a conversation where one girl asked another what her problem with a third girl was.

Girl A: "I know she comes off as serious but she's a laugh to be around once you get to know her. Not afraid of laughing at her own expense either."

Girl B: "It's not that I think she's boring."

Girl A: "Something she said then?"

Girl B "No..."

Girl A: "What then? I swear you're ignoring her on purpose."

Girl B: "She is just so short!"

Me: o_O what
PffffffHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think you've trumped us all.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Vault101 said:

Did that happen to come from this website? I've noticed that a lot of people like to throw around buzz words like "unwashed masses" and "dumbed down" (usually with an implied "for consoles" if it's not outright stated) and "appealing to the lowest common denominator" when they get into debates.

By the way, those buzz words are my answer to this thread. Once I read/hear something like that, I stop taking their argument seriously.
Agreed. Buzz words like ad hominem, strawman and the like. I can't stand those.

Unfortunately, it makes arguing with people who actually are guilty of such things difficult, since making that declaration would make me want to gargle battery acid.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
I had an argument with NINE people way back in High School about whether Spaniards came from Spain or Mexico.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I was playing Invasion on Halo Reach with some friends one time and I was the one who got teamed up with a random. He spent most our attack turn trying to kill one guy instead of helping us take out the first objective saying that the guy would have been murdering us if he didn't try to kill the guy which is not true unless you're just standing in the open like an idiot.(hint hint, the guy I'm talking about) He then barely helped us defend our objectives and at the end of the game his excuse was that he doesn't go after team objectives.(or something like that, this was a long time ago) I was left wondering why the asshole didn't exclusively play free for all.

This is the only occasion I could think of at the moment.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
PotluckBrigand said:
I had an argument with NINE people way back in High School about whether Spaniards came from Spain or Mexico.
And what was the consensus afterward? :D

Binnsyboy said:
shrekfan246 said:
Vault101 said:

Unfortunately, it makes arguing with people who actually are guilty of such things difficult, since making that declaration would make me want to gargle battery acid.
Personally, I love the people who will, instead of typing out "Strawman!" as a response, find a picture of a strawman and just use that.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
Well that's the terrible thing about arguing with nine people... they assume that because there are more of them, they must be correct, and I didn't have enough fists to punch them all.

(As a point of interest, the whole scenario would have been moot nowadays since a simple two-second Google search for "Define: Spaniard" returns the information with no muss and no fuss. Imagine all the exciting idiocy we miss out on in these technological times!)

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
Well that's the terrible thing about arguing with nine people... they assume that because there are more of them, they must be correct, and I didn't have enough fists to punch them all.

(As a point of interest, the whole scenario would have been moot nowadays since a simple two-second Google search for "Define: Spaniard" returns the information with no muss and no fuss. Imagine all the exciting idiocy we miss out on in these technological times!)
I think the worst part is that I wouldn't be surprised to find people still questioning that. After all, Mexicans speak Spanish, right?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Binnsyboy said:

In fairness, those buzzwords are often used correctly, it just happens so much that you get tired of seeing them. A lot of people do resort to those tactics just to "win" an argument.

OT: "Don't feed the troll"

It seems to be an easy way to slap down anyone with an opinion that disagrees with the majority or even the person they're talking to. Yeah, there are a lot of trolls, and there's nothing we can do for them. There are also a lot of idiots, and by actually discussing why they're wrong (or just why you think they're wrong) one or both participants might learn something.

I could go to one of the feminism threads present on the site and post a coherent explanation of why I disagree with whatever the hot-button feminist article/video is at the moment (I don't, it's just a hypothetical, let's not have any flaming please). I could source everything to back up my points, I could fully explain my position and why I formed my views, I could do all of this calmly and rationally and what would I get?

"Fuck off, troll"
"Obvious troll is obvious!"
"Come on, don't feed the troll, guys"
"Trollololol"

It's coming to a point where people equate dissenting opinions with trolling, and that's a great way to stifle any semblance of intellectual conversation. You can't just dismiss people who don't agree with you, because if you do you end up with a self-congratulatory echo chamber that becomes hostile to anything that doesn't conform.