That's your arguement...?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Personally, I love the people who will, instead of typing out "Strawman!" as a response, find a picture of a strawman and just use that.
Still not as bad as the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" picture. Do people honestly not realise how childish it makes them seem?

"Those people have views that disagree with my views? I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE!"

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Personally, I love the people who will, instead of typing out "Strawman!" as a response, find a picture of a strawman and just use that.
If you're actually using a strawman argument, do you think you deserve any other response? It's a logical fallacy and its use renders your argument illogical. Whether you are right or wrong, at this point what you said can be discounted. If someone makes any response other than pointing out the logical fallacy, they're doing it wrong.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
shrekfan246 said:
Still not as bad as the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" picture. Do people honestly not realise how childish it makes them seem?

"Those people have views that disagree with my views? I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ON THIS PLANET ANYMORE!"
But to be fair, searching for meaningful debate on the Internet is like trying to find haute cuisine at a McDonald's (no offense intended to McDonald's... I loves me some Chicken McNuggets, pink slime and all).

There's a big difference between someone interested in a discussion or debate, and someone who just wants to be right and let you know how right they are, and it's nearly impossible to discern between the two at a glance.

"I don't want to live..." and to a lesser extent the Willy Wonka meme are quick shortcuts for those who have no real desire to explore or expand their ideas, but would like you to still know how much smarter they are than you, you Internet TOOL.

I work with a person (exactly ONE) that disagrees with me on just about every fundamental political, societal, or religious ground, but I can't hate him because he is always willing to listen to me talk, take me seriously, and talk back. We aren't friends and never will be, but I get a lot more out a conversation with him than I do looking at Failblog or Memebase.

I'm perfectly happy living on this planet, after all.

EDIT: Though I am willing to admit that I have a bad habit of confusing "analogy" with "straw man" when arguing with people... it's not fair, but I do so love a good analogy (After all... I compared people to Chicken Nuggets above.)

Gregory McMillan

Jan 30, 2012
I tried to explain to my friend that evolution didn't mean that a chimp gave birth to a human baby (which by the way is about the size of the ape's entire torso). She kept saying that it was just a theory. She works and studies chemistry and does not know that theories are observations that have been tested and verified. I wish Darwin could come back and strike some people with his mighty Origin of Species book.

Personally, I love when those crazy politicians with extreme conservative or liberal tendencies get those deer-in-the-headlights looks when asked a question that stumps them. Also people who argue in favor of small government, but then they want the government to control what women do with their bodies, tell people who to marry and often want the government to go to war to spread democracy.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SecondPrize said:
shrekfan246 said:
If you're actually using a strawman argument, do you think you deserve any other response? It's a logical fallacy and its use renders your argument illogical. Whether you are right or wrong, at this point what you said can be discounted. If someone makes any response other than pointing out the logical fallacy, they're doing it wrong.

In order to not get a low content post - I think you missed the point of my post and I don't understand why you felt the need to inform me of this as if I didn't already know it.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
Got into a religious debate a few years back where the lady I was arguing with claimed the bible was 100% true because it referenced real locations. After pointing out the flaws in that statement (calmly at this point, I wasn't mad yet), I brought up the "existence of evil" arguement. You know, "if good is so good, then why do bad things happen to good people?" She responded with "Everybody who is murdered is killed because they don't believe in God enough."

I'll end it there, but this went on for a while. I will admit, toward the end I was rather incensed. Primarily because of the "Everybody who is murdered is killed because they don't believe in God" statement.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
While playing League of Legends
*An ally has been slain*
"You shouldn't have been all the way down there without any wards dude, what were you thinking?"
"LAAAAG"
"You were farming there for 30 seconds with all of the enemy team missing"
"BECAUSE OF LAG NOOB"
"Lag doesn't have you make bad decisions, you keep feeding them"
"STFU OR I FEED"
"You already are feeding"
"NOOB, BECAUSE I'M LAGGING"

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I think the worst thing is when you've got two sides who will never agree and then someone has to say `I don't get why people think in a way I disagree with!` and then will just not shut up because the other side don't agree.
Jesus, it's like they've never heard of agreeing to disagree.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Phasmal said:
I think the worst thing is when you've got two sides who will never agree and then someone has to say `I don't get why people think in a way I disagree with!` and then will just not shut up because the other side don't agree.
Jesus, it's like they've never heard of agreeing to disagree.
I disagree with that. :D

DeadFOAM said:
Got into a religious debate a few years back where the lady I was arguing with claimed the bible was 100% true because it referenced real locations. After pointing out the flaws in that statement (calmly at this point, I wasn't mad yet), I brought up the "existence of evil" arguement. You know, "if good is so good, then why do bad things happen to good people?" She responded with "Everybody who is murdered is killed because they don't believe in God enough."

I'll end it there, but this went on for a while. I will admit, toward the end I was rather incensed. Primarily because of the "Everybody who is murdered is killed because they don't believe in God" statement.
I'm guessing Martin Luther King was just putting on the religious thing for show >.>

Clearly he wouldn't have been killed if his faith was stronger.
hey, now that I think about it, Jesus must have not had enough faith either eh?

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Matthew94 said:
I'm guessing Martin Luther King was just putting on the religious thing for show >.>

Clearly he wouldn't have been killed if his faith was stronger.
Is that why the pope rolls around in that bullet and bomb proof car? That's not great if your the head of a religion...

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
DrgoFx said:
So yeah...Care to share anyone?
I know a guy who, when presented with evidence against anything he believes, says that he doesn't trust this evidence because he hasn't checked it himself.
That includes science... all of it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
I had an argument with NINE people way back in High School about whether Spaniards came from Spain or Mexico.
And what was the consensus afterward? :D
Well that's the terrible thing about arguing with nine people... they assume that because there are more of them, they must be correct, and I didn't have enough fists to punch them all.

The funny part is that unless you believe in abstract, eternal object facts that are seperate from humanity and its existence (i.e they exist even if we don't, and we can't affect them in any way), if there had been enough of them, they would have been right (Spaniards would have come from Mexico, not Spain). Their problem is that they were short a billion or so people on their side of the consensus.
A word is, afterall, only what enough people chose to use it mean by it..

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
I had an argument with NINE people way back in High School about whether Spaniards came from Spain or Mexico.
Well that's the terrible thing about arguing with nine people... they assume that because there are more of them, they must be correct, and I didn't have enough fists to punch them all.

(As a point of interest, the whole scenario would have been moot nowadays since a simple two-second Google search for "Define: Spaniard" returns the information with no muss and no fuss. Imagine all the exciting idiocy we miss out on in these technological times!)
I think the worst part is that I wouldn't be surprised to find people still questioning that. After all, Mexicans speak Spanish, right?
PSH. Mexicans speak MEXICAN. DUUUUH. They are from Mexico? Haha, what a MORON..

(Gonna break my policy of "don't explain the joke" by stating that this was sarcasm. I don't want to risk a pointless argument at the moment. Too tired)

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Realitycrash said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:

(As a point of interest, the whole scenario would have been moot nowadays since a simple two-second Google search for "Define: Spaniard" returns the information with no muss and no fuss. Imagine all the exciting idiocy we miss out on in these technological times!)
I think the worst part is that I wouldn't be surprised to find people still questioning that. After all, Mexicans speak Spanish, right?

(Gonna break my policy of "don't ruin the joke" by stating that this was sarcasm. I don't want to risk a pointless argument at the moment. Too tired)
Nuh uh. People from Mexico speak Spanish.

People from Spain speak Mexican.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Realitycrash said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:

(Gonna break my policy of "don't explain the joke" by stating that this was sarcasm. I don't want to risk a pointless argument at the moment. Too tired)
I would hope that something like that wouldn't be able to be misconstrued, but you can never be too careful on the internet...

Don't worry, I understood it was a joke. :D

Nekron_X

Jan 30, 2011
i've gotten the classic; "i can't heeear you. Nope, no,no,no,no,nope." complete with covering the ears and all from someone i was talking to who was in they're late 20's.i can't remember what the argument was about anymore, because that response just disgusted me and i forgot about it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Realitycrash said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:

Actually funny fact: I am legally allowed to put myself as "Hispanic" on US census forms because I have Spanish blood. *Sigh*

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fappy said:
Realitycrash said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:

Actually funny fact: I am legally allowed to put myself as "Hispanic" on US census forms because I have Spanish blood. *Sigh*
Is it the same old "One drop of Negro-blood" mentality that still casts it shade over the US?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Realitycrash said:
Fappy said:
Realitycrash said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:
shrekfan246 said:
PotluckBrigand said:

Is it the same old "One drop of Negro-blood" mentality that still casts it shade over the US?
Even worse considering they are creating artificial ethnic groups that include the wrong people.