The 2010 List of Awesome

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
DC universe? Old Republic? I feel you may have left out a certain Areanet venture. I know it isn't confirmed for 2011 but it sure as hell looks interesting enough to merit a mention. Its one of the only games where I have checked up the dev blog every now and then to learn how the progress is going. The only other game I have done that with is at the top of your list.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Pugiron said:
The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony, which has not has a genuine hit since the orriginal EverQuest. I have played DCUO's beta and hated it. All the combo button mashing of the old fighting games, less customization than CoH or CO, unskippable tutorials, I did not like any aspect of this game. Old Republic would look promising, but like many Star Wars fans, tthe chance of piloting a space ship was always a big draw. Now they have reduced it to a rail shooter in space as their only touch of space content. A huge dissapointment for many of us. I hope they both get Star Wars Galaxies style complete overhauls, but I won't be playign either until they do.
Sony isn't even touching The Old Republic. The Old Republic is between Bioware&EA and LucasArts. SOE isn't coming close to The Old Republic and let's hope that it stays that way, to be honest. I cannot speak for DCUO, though.

OT: Very good list. I should've picked up Minecraft and Civ5, but really... I don't hate myself. What I mean by that is that they're great games, and that's the problem. I'd lose so much time!

The horizon looks to be good, though, eh?

Helgi

Sep 27, 2009
It feels like this was an in-between year, and that the really big titles are still on the way: Duke Nukem Forever, Portal 2, Half Life 2 Episode 3
I like your optimism.

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
I'm surprised it took 6 posts for someone to make a comment about the Half-Life 2 EP 3 thing.

Good list, overall, though. If I had any money at all I would own most all of the things on your top 5.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
2010 was average, aye - except for PC, where it was one of the best years on record (Largely because of the strategy genre and Minecraft).

2011, meanwhile, is looking stellar. A new console that actually has a reason for existing (and having a separate game base from the other consoles); a plethora of new, exciting entries in existing franchises (Skyrim! Uncharted 3 (not on PC, but still...)! Guild Wars 2! Portal 2! Mass Effect 3! Dragon Age 2! No currently-announced Call of Duty game!); the ever-burgeoning Indie games army; and Minecraft. Plus, with any luck Rockstar will finally port Red Dead Redemption to PC, and we can join in on the fun without shelling out $300.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Silly person, HLEp3 won't come out next year. I'm still suspicious about Portal 2.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Silly person, HLEp3 won't come out next year. I'm still suspicious about Portal 2.
Code:
AS PART OF A REQUIRED DEVELOPMENT PROTOCOL, VALV[sup]E[/sup] WILL STOP DELAYING THE GAME IN THREE, TWO, ON-$##%@$&^%%^#@%&&*@%#&^&$^&#.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
I almost feel as if putting Portal 2, Half Life Ep. 3, and Duke Nukem together as next year's hopefuls is kind of tempting fate little bit too much. Well, we'll see. But yeah, this year has been pretty amazing, mostly for me because it was the year in which I discoverred WoW. Well, started playing it anyways...
We should also commemorate a year of amazing posting and blogging by Mr. Young here. F***ing fantastic job, good sir. Cheers!

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
It's been an awesome year for Mac users due to expanded support from Valve. In addition, the OnLive service has brought several high-end titles that otherwise would have only been for Windows or XBox.

Jul 9, 2008
Personally, I'd have put Mount & Blade: Warband on the list, but I can get why you didn't, not a lot of people have heard of this awesome game.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Shamus you say HL ep. 3 but all I hear is HAHAHA I'M TAUNTING YOU WITH IMAGINARY AWESOME GAMES.

Jerk.