The 2021 Game Awards thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It just feels Oddly specific, really. This isn't "Oh, there are two big open world games with crafting" coming out at the same time(though apparently some people got mad that HZD and BOTW came out close to each other because people get them confused for the same game or something), it's two games with a weirdly specific setting and aesthetic coming out together. Then again, if you were waiting for French Automaton Souls-likes, you're gonna have two of those bad boys over the next few years.
You know what, if a Bloodborne style game took place in Detroit during the late 19th century or early 20th century, I would play it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know enough about Detroit's history to know what that would look like but I'd be interested in checking that out.
Get started....

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think the worst reveal was Texas Chainsaw Massacre game.

For one thing, the game is marketed as “Based on true events”. Well, isn’t it based on the original movie, which was dramatized version of the original event?

Secondly, the moment I saw the word “multiplayer” the game lost all its value for me. I’m not sure why someone thinks horror goes along with people screaming and laughing over their mics. It usually devalues the horror element.

if this was a survival horror w/ AI leatherface I might’ve been interested
Idk who’s making it but it’s basically the next attempt to get that type of design right after Friday the 13th failed. Which sucked, because they obviously put some care into it with all the random details from the movies, but there wasn’t enough of a budget behind it to do it justice as a game.

Also, the “based on true events” part of TCM had to do with the skin mask’s inspiration, which came from the serial killer Ed Gein out of Plainfield, Wisconsin. He was arguably more messed up than Leatherface, because aside from the skin thing he also violated his victims’ bodies sexually. The result of being in the middle of nowhere, with an overbearing mother (Norman Bates anyone?) with no healthy outlet for adolescent tendencies I guess.

The chainsaw aspect was mostly the stuff of fiction though, because it added a twist to the source material and made for a better horror movie.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Idk who’s making it but it’s basically the next attempt to get that type of design right after Friday the 13th failed. Which sucked, because they obviously put some care into it with all the random details from the movies, but there wasn’t enough of a budget behind it to do it justice as a game.

Also, the “based on true events” part of TCM had to do with the skin mask’s inspiration, which came from the serial killer Ed Gein out of Plainfield, Wisconsin. He was arguably more messed up than Leatherface, because aside from the skin thing he also violated his victims’ bodies sexually. The result of being in the middle of nowhere, with an overbearing mother (Norman Bates anyone?) with no healthy outlet for adolescent tendencies I guess.

The chainsaw aspect was mostly the stuff of fiction though, because it added a twist to the source material and made for a better horror movie.
Yeah I don't see this game getting anywhere, it looks like the same exact concept that already failed before.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain?

Granted, you'd be correct on both counts so it doesn't matter much. Indigo prophecy pretty much put me off buying any other David Cage games because it felt clear the man is a bit of a hack, who has cool ideas but no idea how to pull them off. And for some reason the man gets to keep making these things.

If you really wanted to know, you could LP them and not miss anything, though you might be even more likely to notice how fucking stupid they get by the end that way.
Indigo Prophecy. I was intrigued by the basic premise of someone using, like, psychic possession to commit murders but Cage, as he does with all his stuff, couldn't just keep it to that and had to "go even further beyond" and from what I've read of his other games, it seems like he can never keep his ambitions within the bounds of what he's capable of pulling off. I've read the plots of his games, so I have an understanding of what they're about already and he's basically the Shyamalan of video-games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Indigo Prophecy. I was intrigued by the basic premise of someone using, like, psychic possession to commit murders but Cage, as he does with all his stuff, couldn't just keep it to that and had to "go even further beyond" and from what I've read of his other games, it seems like he can never keep his ambitions within the bounds of what he's capable of pulling off. I've read the plots of his games, so I have an understanding of what they're about already and he's basically the Shyamalan of video-games.
that is actually insulting to M. Night, at least he is a competent director.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’d go with Uwe Boll instead :p
Honestly, I sometimes find Cage more insulting than Boll. At least Boll had two decent films underneath all of his garbage. Plus, he can't make movies anymore. The laws in Germany cracked down him, so no more legal loophole tax law. Things have gotten so bad, that no film studio nor video game company wants to make any deals with him, because of his attitude. So count that saving grace. With all that said, both are almost the same in personality. The only difference is one barely made it in to Hollywood and no one wanted him, so he got kicked out. The other couldn't make it and over compensates by a huge margin compared to the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Honestly, I sometimes find Cage more insulting than Boll. At least Boll had two decent films underneath all of his garbage. Plus, he can't make movies anymore. The laws in Germany cracked down him, so no more legal loophole tax law. Things have gotten so bad, that no film studio nor video game company wants to make any deals with him, because of his attitude. So count that saving grace. With all that said, both are almost the same in personality. The only difference is barely made it in to Hollywood and no one wanted him, so he got kicked out. The other couldn't make it and over compensates by a huge margin compared to the former.
Which is a good reason why I’m not too excited for Star Wars eclipse. It may as well be another Disney produced Star Wars film but in cg.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
that is actually insulting to M. Night, at least he is a competent director.
I was about to arge with this and then reconsidered... yes he is a competent director. He's got some godawful turkeys in his oeuvre, but that's much more the fault of his scriptwriting.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was about to arge with this and then reconsidered... yes he is a competent director. He's got some godawful turkeys in his oeuvre, but that's much more the fault of his scriptwriting.
Nothing anybody can say will convince me The Last Airbender was competently directed.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nothing anybody can say will convince me The Last Airbender was competently directed.
Obligatory

I haven't really followed Cage after heavy rain, where the game had to outright lie to you to maintain the plot. But aren't some later one really popular, like I keep seeing detroit:become human stuff pop up every once in awhile so obviously some people really liked it.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Obligatory

I haven't really followed Cage after heavy rain, where the game had to outright lie to you to maintain the plot. But aren't some later one really popular, like I keep seeing detroit:become human stuff pop up every once in awhile so obviously some people really liked it.
Eh it’s often regarded as one of Cage’s best offerings and for what it’s worth I found it okay. This is from someone who doesn’t like his type of stuff typically.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Obligatory

I love that scene. SIX GUYS apparently working together to float that medium sized rock through the air and then another to blast it at the firebender! Heck, they could have thrown it harder than that!

Also Detroit was pretty good for about 1/3 of the game and middling to bad for the rest.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland

Atleast I haven't seen them? What were those? Alan Wake 2? Maybe... Space Marine II and that Breath of the Sonic game? Lotsa people liked those, but i wouldn't call them Elden Ring calibre nukes.

I was counting on REVIII/Psychonauts 2/Metroid: Dread getting the GOTY, so i'm a bit dissapointed on that front. It was worth for Josef Fares Fares getting on the stage again, but maybe not for that cathegory.

He has 2 good movies behind him. Cage has 1/3 of a good game

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I couldn't say, as I would struggle to watch any film (seriously) where people straight-facedly talk about the greatest / strongest bender, given the meaning of "bender" in common British slang.

But everyone has an off-day, and many artists may find that their style does not suit the task they have set out to do.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He has 2 good movies behind him. Cage has 1/3 of a good game
Depending on what you mean by "good", I think Shyamalan's done rather better than that. There's Sixth Sense and Unbreakable (obviously), but after his spectacular series of turkeys (from The Lady In The Water to After Earth), he's gone back to basics and created a few effective films in the low-medium budget range.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Depending on what you mean by "good", I think Shyamalan's done rather better than that. There's Sixth Sense and Unbreakable (obviously), but after his spectacular series of turkeys (from The Lady In The Water to After Earth), he's gone back to basics and created a few effective films in the low-medium budget range.
I remeber lady in the water as "the sprinkler movie", kinda disapointed that no one bothered to make a compilation of all of them on youtube.