The $299 Xbox Series S - "Next gen performance in smallest Xbox ever"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

That console is indeed quite small. The design is... odd, but then the PS5 looks even odder.

If this truly is a next-gen console, that is a very impressive and compelling price. You have to wonder if Sony was just waiting for Microsoft to reveal the prices of new Xbox lines before they finally decided on a price for the PS5.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I had to double check the forums, but it seems that no one has posted anything about the recent Xbox developments.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox...ies-s-release-date-and-price-finally-revealed

So supposedly the Xbox Series X (just terrible names guys come on) will be $499. I'm actually quite liking the sound of this Series S version, it seems to be geared more towards 1080p standards, which is more than fine with me because I'm not getting a 4K TV anytime soon.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The Series X kind of reminds of a taller Wii in size, but with a speaker built in (that black circle is probably a fan exhaust, but c'mon, don't tell me that doesn't look like it's about to blast some phat beat). Anyway, price is in line with expectations, as is that of the Series X.

My guess is the PS5 will be $499 too, $449 for the all-digital model. Maybe, just maybe they'll go 50 bucks cheaper to undercut Microsoft, but I doubt they'll go below that.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Fyi, pre-orders for 24K Gold PS5 starting September 10th at the low, low price of £7999. Free shipping.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
The Series X kind of reminds of a taller Wii in size, but with a speaker built in (that black circle is probably a fan exhaust, but c'mon, don't tell me that doesn't look like it's about to blast some phat beat). Anyway, price is in line with expectations, as is that of the Series X.

My guess is the PS5 will be $499 too, $449 for the all-digital model. Maybe, just maybe they'll go 50 bucks cheaper to undercut Microsoft, but I doubt they'll go below that.
I'm pretty sure they'll do $500...but...I wouldn't be surprised to see them do $600 either simply because Sony's kinda been feeling like the start of PS3-era Sony again lately.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fyi, pre-orders for 24K Gold PS5 starting September 10th at the low, low price of £7999. Free shipping.
Go fuck yourself Sony! That is some of the bullshit I've been talking about.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is a super aggressive move by Microsoft. I wonder if Sony will consider Microsoft's pricing and respond in kind.

Though i doubt it. I fully expect a $500 console. Plain and simple.

I mean it's a 24k gold promotional item dude. It's hard to take that seriously and it isn't even the first time they've done that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a super aggressive move by Microsoft. I wonder if Sony will consider Microsoft's pricing and respond in kind.

Though i doubt it. I fully expect a $500 console. Plain and simple.

I mean it's a 24k gold promotional item dude. It's hard to take that seriously and it isn't even the first time they've done that.
I am aware, does not matter, still giving them a fuck you!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There's a lot of questions that need to be answered with this, it's $200 less than the main console so why is it $200 less? How scaled back are the hardware specs? Will it not have an SSD? It seems like a weird go-between of current-gen and next-gen and what's the difference then just playing "next-gen" games on the Xbone? For the 1st couple years of next-gen, games are going to be released on last-gen systems anyway. You can just basically wait for the main $500 system to drop in price if you wanna pay $300 for the system.

I am aware, does not matter, still giving them a fuck you!
It's not even made by Sony.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's a lot of questions that need to be answered with this, it's $200 less than the main console so why is it $200 less? How scaled back are the hardware specs? Will it not have an SSD? It seems like a weird go-between of current-gen and next-gen and what's the difference then just playing "next-gen" games on the Xbone? For the 1st couple years of next-gen, games are going to be released on last-gen systems anyway. You can just basically wait for the main $500 system to drop in price if you wanna pay $300 for the system.

Fuck'em, anyway and whatever bastards that came up with it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I hear it is, at $300, digital only. No disc player. The specs are reported to be around the Xbox 1X area. So, $300 for digital only Xbox 1X... maybe with much faster load times. Not bad.
I have no idea what I'm going to do this generation. All of these systems are eye sores my wife will spot and then kill me for buying. The Xbox 1 X is nice, unobtuse, flat black. I don't think she realizes I even have it :)
For the 1st year, I expect games will be cross gen. No? Like Black Flag was PS3 and PS4? Or am I just whistling past the grave yard?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I hear it is, at $300, digital only. No disc player. The specs are reported to be around the Xbox 1X area. So, $300 for digital only Xbox 1X... maybe with much faster load times. Not bad.
I have no idea what I'm going to do this generation. All of these systems are eye sores my wife will spot and then kill me for buying. The Xbox 1 X is nice, unobtuse, flat black. I don't think she realizes I even have it :)
For the 1st year, I expect games will be cross gen. No? Like Black Flag was PS3 and PS4? Or am I just whistling past the grave yard?
And the "next-gen" games will play much better on PS4/Xbone than they did on PS3/360. Last-gen systems had freaking 512MBs of RAM so you had real shit versions of stuff like Watch Dogs, Middle-earth, Dragon Age Inquisition. That almost certainly won't be the case this time. They have to release games on both generations of systems early on because the install bases just aren't big enough early on. If they made the effort to put games on PS3 with that different cell architecture and pitiful amount of RAM, they're going to do it this time as well with the same architecture. This Series S just seems like a pointless piece of hardware to have the lowest price point that just might work marketing-wise if the asinine naming conventions haven't confused people already.

I'll almost certainly get a PS5 down the road but not anytime soon because all the most interesting games coming out don't even need PS4 hardware to play let alone next-gen hardware. Plus, a good video card is more expensive by itself than an entire console.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's not even a Sony specific thing. Literally every console has a 24 karat gold version.

It's like you just really want to find reasons to be upset at Sony.

Edit:

It's not like this is even a phenomenon that's specific to consoles or tech.

Here's a gold plated grill.

Trump has a gold toilet. People with more money than sense love stupid bullshit like this.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This seems really pointless.

What exactly is it competing with? The naming is going to create maximum parent confusion for the holiday season, and I'm not sure what they're actually trying to do. Are they trying to encroach on the Xbox One X? Are they trying to cannibalize the market-share of the Xbox Series X? Is there literally any reason to even look at this thing if you have a half-way decent PC?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's not even a Sony specific thing. Literally every console has a 24 karat gold version.

It's like you just really want to find reasons to be upset at Sony.

Edit:

It's not like this is even a phenomenon that's specific to consoles or tech.

Here's a gold plated grill.

Trump has a gold toilet. People with more money than sense love stupid bullshit like this.

Ok, fine I get it, so fuck all of them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For the person who has everything except a brain.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This seems really pointless.

What exactly is it competing with? The naming is going to create maximum parent confusion for the holiday season, and I'm not sure what they're actually trying to do. Are they trying to encroach on the Xbox One X? Are they trying to cannibalize the market-share of the Xbox Series X? Is there literally any reason to even look at this thing if you have a half-way decent PC?
The codenames, Scarlett and Lockhart, are way better than the actual names.

BTW, this generation of Xbox is officially just called "Xbox". "We want people to just go in and say 'I want the latest Xbox.'" I think I would've punched that guy. All queued up.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The codenames, Scarlett and Lockhart, are way better than the actual names.

BTW, this generation of Xbox is officially just called "Xbox". "We want people to just go in and say 'I want the latest Xbox.'" I think I would've punched that guy. All queued up.

But which one is the latest xbox? The Xsex or the Xses?

And why isn't the more powerful one called the Xses (short for excess).

Reactions: Phoenixmgs