Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
1599627681561.png

So anyway I'm not a fan of this. To me this just looks like another step down the road of anti-consumer nonsense by taking out the last bastion of physical video game sales by turning consoles into download only machines.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So anyway I'm not a fan of this. To me this just looks like another step down the road of anti-consumer nonsense by taking out the last bastion of physical video game sales by turning consoles into download only machines.
Yeah honestly. Physical copies are HUGE in my country, because a) there's a thriving 2nd hand video game market and b) Sony has not deigned to bless us dirty developing country peasants with our own Playstation Store.

Our internet here is terrible too, I'm genuinely curious how consoles without disk drives will do in countries like mine.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The codenames, Scarlett and Lockhart, are way better than the actual names.

BTW, this generation of Xbox is officially just called "Xbox". "We want people to just go in and say 'I want the latest Xbox.'" I think I would've punched that guy. All queued up.
There's going to be a bunch of confused (grand)parents come the holiday season.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's going to be a bunch of confused (grand)parents come the holiday season.
Someone on the Microsoft/Xbox marketing team must really hate parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. Or people who really don't follow gaming in general.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

The full Xbox Series X will be $500 bucks. Which is about on par for what people expected. Though it does make me wonder how underpowered that $299 mini version is going to be. Unless a disc drive cost $200

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

The full Xbox Series X will be $500 bucks. Which is about on par for what people expected. Though it does make me wonder how underpowered that $299 mini version is going to be. Unless a disc drive cost $200
A blu ray reader drive can be about $100, maybe more if they have to custom fabricate one to fit the Series X unusual form factor. But a report I’m reading now indicates the Series S only has a 512GB SSD. That may explain the other hundred or so bucks.

Which is pathetic as shit because games are getting bigger, not smaller.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Is it really next gen performance? Anyway, I'm not seeing how making the console supposedly for the people with less disposable money also be the console that intentionally locks you out of the pre-owned market (a total blessing for cash-strapped gaming) is going to appeal that much, especially with such small space for a digital-only library. Maybe that's why they went for the 'phone contract payment' style offer for the biggen too.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Is it really next gen performance?
Depends on what you mean by next gen. All the new consoles have pretty similar architecture: zen 2 8-core cpu, rdna2 gpu, ddr6 ram and an ssd. All of those are significant upgrades over what the current consoles have. So, in that way, yes, next gen. The only possible exception may be the gpu on the Series S vs the Xnox One X, where the former seems weaker, but then again tflops don't say everything and rdna2 is much newer and features tech the One X doesn't, so that may compensate. It should make for a solid 1080p machine tho, especially at only $300.

The promised level of performance of Microsofts new consoles is actually pretty impressive for the asking price, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking a loss on both. I'd still give it a year before pc outstrips both Series X and PS5 in every way (I mean they already are in several ways), but not at a $500 price point.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
New Digital Foundry video discussing the Series S

Unboxing video that gives pretty good idea of Series S size

More size comparisons of all upcoming consoles vs older gens

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
I understand that people are apprehensive about buying a next-gen device that's technically inferior to its predecessor in some ways, and to many (including myself), the $200 savings won't be worth the disadvantages the Series S has compared to the Series X. However, the fact that there will be a $300 console that is guaranteed to play every Xbox game released during the upcoming generation, right from the very start of the generation, is really something. Adjusted for inflation, only the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii were more affordable at release.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Gonna be the big boy and save money for the Disc Drive Xbox Series X.

I have a bunch of Xbox OG games on Disc that I still use.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I understand that people are apprehensive about buying a next-gen device that's technically inferior to its predecessor in some ways, and to many (including myself), the $200 savings won't be worth the disadvantages the Series S has compared to the Series X. However, the fact that there will be a $300 console that is guaranteed to play every Xbox game released during the upcoming generation, right from the very start of the generation, is really something. Adjusted for inflation, only the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii were more affordable at release.
I see them as having a future also as cheap in-house streaming heads for things like Plex or Kodi once the app support gets up and running.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The Confusion Saga continues! Will people figure out what the fuck is going on? Find out on the next explosive episode of Xbox One S!

Yes, I am taking the piss, but man, it's like Wii U all over again, but this being the age of Twitter, seemingly much worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Confusion Saga continues! Will people figure out what the fuck is going on? Find out on the next explosive episode of Xbox One S!

Yes, I am taking the piss, but man, it's like Wii U all over again, but this being the age of Twitter, seemingly much worse.

Microsoft, do you even care anymore?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Microsoft, do you even care anymore?
To be fair, this one's technically on IGN for assuming everyone just knows the difference between all those similar names. But other than that? Yeh.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
A good-enough console for £250 is a great idea, but for fuck's sake name it something more distinct. Did they just decide that since the Playstations have simple names, the Xbox should be as confusing as possible?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

Imagine the Star Wars episode 4 Vader vs Obi-wan duel, with Microsoft as Vader and Nintendo as Kenobi.

"When I left you I was but the learner; now I am the master."

"Only a master of incompatible emulation, Darth."