The 4 Worst Films of 2015

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

It's end-of-the-year list time! This time, the worst movies of 2015.

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Entourage needs a mention merely because it provoked this reaction from critic Mark Kermode:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, bottom 10 films I've seen this year, confining them to films seen in cinemas or released in Oz in 2015:

10) Truth
9) Phoenix
8) Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
7) A Walk in the Woods
6) The Hard Problem
5) Pan
4) Fantastic 4
3) Jupiter Ascending
2) Learning to Drive
1) The Secret in Their Eyes

I want to stress though that numbers 10 to 5 are by no way bad films - yes, even Pan I enjoyed, though I recognise its problems as both an adaptation and its own story. Simply had to choose the least good films of what's, for me, been a good year in terms of what I've seen. As for the 4 to 2...well, I actually like aspects of Fan4stic and J. Ascending, but I won't deny that they're heavily flawed. And LtD...sorry Ben, I love ya, but you couldn't save this meandering plot.

Now, the Secret in Their Eyes, I admit is very much a personal choice. Functionally, it's fine. But as someone who adores the original Argentine version, I HATED this movie. It's just pretty much an inferior version of an excellent movie that's more contrived, is less well handled in regards to its mystery, and is less...well, good. By all rights it isn't a bad film, but hey, my list, I can indulge some personal whims, especially since in terms of enjoyment I'd rank Pan much higher than many of these.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Marter said:

It's end-of-the-year list time! This time, the worst movies of 2015.

Read Full Article
I've got to say that Happy Madison did one damn good movie in Grandma's Boy and even that had flaws. But overall it was, IMO, great and hilarious. What the fuck happened? Adam Sandler got fat, lazy and figured out a way to make himself money while doing relatively nothing, getting as you said a vacation for him and his friends out of it.

A note: Allen Covert is a decent comedy actor, seems like a smart guy. I know he's friends with Sandler, and lately has mostly just played bit parts in some of the Madison productions. Ever since Grandma's Boy I get the feeling he's tried to relegate himself more to the background, doing the producer angle with just cameos... I don't get it. Dude seems like he's a smart guy, maybe he feels he owes Sandler something. I'm sickened by the direction Sandler's films have taken because, yes, I used to love his stuff. Key phrase: "Used to."

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
GrumbleGrump said:
No Jupiter Ascending? For reals?

Jesus fuck. To think I PAID to see it. Uuuuugh.
Hawki said:
So, bottom 10 films I've seen this year, confining them to films seen in cinemas or released in Oz in 2015:

10) Truth
9) Phoenix
8) Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
7) A Walk in the Woods
6) The Hard Problem
5) Pan
4) Fantastic 4
3) Jupiter Ascending
2) Learning to Drive
1) The Secret in Their Eyes
I thought Jupiter Ascending was one of the better movies this year. I actually had a better "Star Wars" experience with this movie than I did with The Force Awakens. Speaking of Star Wars, why did everybody complained that Jupiter Ascending relied on tropes? Star Wars was a textbook of tropes from The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell. I thought the ending of Jupiter Ascending was somewhat subversive. The Wachowskis admitted that this was a science fiction fairy tale. So, the choice that Jupiter Jones made at the end was anti-climatic, but did make a bigger point. Overall, I thought Jupiter Ascending was the most underrated movie of the year.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
KissingSunlight said:
I thought Jupiter Ascending was one of the better movies this year. I actually had a better "Star Wars" experience with this movie than I did with The Force Awakens. Speaking of Star Wars, why did everybody complained that Jupiter Ascending relied on tropes? Star Wars was a textbook of tropes from The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell. I thought the ending of Jupiter Ascending was somewhat subversive. The Wachowskis admitted that this was a science fiction fairy tale. So, the choice that Jupiter Jones made at the end was anti-climatic, but did make a bigger point. Overall, I thought Jupiter Ascending was the most underrated movie of the year.
Weird, considering the story was a meandering mess, the lore is laughable, the action was overdone, the characters were unlikeable, the CGI was extremely noticeable, the acting is subpar, the dialog is stupid and the entire movie begins nowhere and ends nowhere.

Weird.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I remember back in my childhood I enjoyed several of Adam Sandler's movies. Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, hell I even liked Don't Mess With The Zohan. I dunno if it was just my childhood/teen innocence or if he actually used to give a damn. It's sad either way looking at the drek he releases now.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
GrumbleGrump said:
Weird, considering the story was a meandering mess, the lore is laughable, the action was overdone, the characters were unlikeable, the CGI was extremely noticeable, the acting is subpar, the dialog is stupid and the entire movie begins nowhere and ends nowhere.

Weird.
This. To me, J. Ascending has a fascinating premise (probably been done before admittedly), one that's absolutely squandered in execution. To me, this is what people claim the Star Wars prequels to be, rather than what they actually are (not saying Ep. 1 and 2 are without flaws). There's a huge universe waiting to be explored in J. Ascending and instead we focus on planet ownership, plus that Jupiter itself is a disempowered protagonist throughout the whole thing.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Hawki said:
This. To me, J. Ascending has a fascinating premise (probably been done before admittedly), one that's absolutely squandered in execution. To me, this is what people claim the Star Wars prequels to be, rather than what they actually are (not saying Ep. 1 and 2 are without flaws). There's a huge universe waiting to be explored in J. Ascending and instead we focus on planet ownership, plus that Jupiter itself is a disempowered protagonist throughout the whole thing.
Yeah, that makes it more infuriating to me. It's like if the movie didn't focus on Jupiter then it could have a shot at being actually decent. Focus on the morality of genetic manipulation. Focus on wars between the owners of planets. Focus on the bounty hunters. Focus even in the fucking bureaucracy, with a mind snappy enough you can make a sort of grim comedy out of it. But no, let's focus on the boring toilet scrubber that somehow hasn't yet applied for a modeling job yet.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
For me, the worst film by far I saw in theatres was Jupiter Ascending.

Also the best one, in that I didn't watch many films in theatres this year.

Personally, I thought it was "meh", but at least "meh" in a somewhat unusual way, as opposed to generical meh films.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Doesn't the ranking usualy have 5 since you can easily put Pixels into it!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:

Weird.
That's just like, your opinion maaaaaan. I kindda liked Jupiter Ascending too. Unless, of course, everyone must think as you do?

The list seems solid, and that's rare here on the escapist. I am surprised Pixel didn't make it on the list, but to be fair I haven't seen like on of them on here so they may have been just that bad. XD

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This is kind of taking the thread in a different direction, but was Pixels actually THAT bad? I didn't see it, but in the scope of my personal experience, the most hated films I've seen this year were Fan4stic (opinion on that is mentioned above) and Paranormal Activity (didn't see it), whereas Pixels had a bit of a miff, and then fade away while at least F4 kept popping up. I'm not trying to defend the movie, as again, haven't seen it, but nothing I've seen or read about it suggests it was so horrible to be the absolute worse, only lacklustre (bar the "trophy wife" thing).

Hey, look on the bright side, I've given you a chance to vent your spleen. ;)

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Hawki said:
This is kind of taking the thread in a different direction, but was Pixels actually THAT bad? I didn't see it, but in the scope of my personal experience, the most hated films I've seen this year were Fan4stic (opinion on that is mentioned above) and Paranormal Activity (didn't see it), whereas Pixels had a bit of a miff, and then fade away while at least F4 kept popping up. I'm not trying to defend the movie, as again, haven't seen it, but nothing I've seen or read about it suggests it was so horrible to be the absolute worse, only lacklustre (bar the "trophy wife" thing).

Hey, look on the bright side, I've given you a chance to vent your spleen. ;)
It was personally offensive to video gamers, I gather. This is a site made up almost entirely of video gamers. Ergo, it's going to poll worse on this site than the rest of the world. No mystery there.

I've never seen it because why waste your time on a Sandler movie? I can't really blame him for his movies either. They make reliable money through a tested formula, with few troubles in his movies' development processes. In gamer terms, he's found a degenerate strategy, and it's not really his problem or fault that it works. The world only has themselves to blame for continuing to throw money at him.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
No Jupiter Ascending? For reals?

Jesus fuck. To think I PAID to see it. Uuuuugh.
Well that's just shame on you. I wouldn't pay to see ANY young adult movie in theatres nowadays, especially the ones where they try to turn Channing Tatum into someone serious.

OT: Also band wagon here but Pixels should REALLY be on this list, man.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Spider RedNight said:
Well that's just shame on you. I wouldn't pay to see ANY young adult movie in theatres nowadays, especially the ones where they try to turn Channing Tatum into someone serious.

OT: Also band wagon here but Pixels should REALLY be on this list, man.

What's a 'young adult movie'? I thought it was a term for films from YA books which Jupiter Ascending isn't it's an original film.