The "50/50 men/women gamers" statistic

Alatar The Red

Aug 10, 2012
I was motivated to post this after reading this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.864050-Men-Now-a-Minority-in-PC-Gaming

I thought that I'd post a separate thread since the current one seems to have gone down the crapper with "what's a gamer" talk, which really isn't an interesting topic at all. And in that thread most of the actually thoughtful posts are ignored in favor of snarky replies for snarky posts.

Anyway, on to the topic

Studies like this are more than fine, and yes they do show that there are just about as many men and women playing PC games. Nothing wrong with that and that's how things are most likely. And 1K is a pretty good sample size too.

However the problem (and the whole debate in that thread) stems from using statistics like these as an argument for something. The thing is, "people who play games on PCs" is such a broad demographic that it's almost completely useless for anything. You're not going to be developing a game targeting that demographic, there's nothing that will please a demographic that large.

Secondly the gender split in PC gaming tells you absolutely nothing about the gender split in different genres of games. Or the gender split in the buying power of different gaming demographics. And when you're developing a game or looking to be a publisher for a game, it's those stats that you're interested in. You want to know who are the people who will bring money for the game you're making.

This good piece of info was already posted previously in the previous thread:

Now looking at those statistics would you as a developer think that women are the most important gaming demographic if you were developing for the wii u? Would you give women equal representation and attention in your games? Would you pander to women as much as you do to men? Some devs might do that, which makes sense, the amount of women buyers isn't 0%. However by and large the development is going to be targeted towards the male demographic because that's where the money is.

Now how about some other studies and statistics? The problem here is that very few people want to actually share their data. I'd love to have the full numbers and stats from all gaming sites, youtube channels, steam, PSN, XBLA, gamestop, individual devs and publishers. But unfortunately that's not happening. And the only thing we know is that those companies and people know their demographics.

Anyway I tried to find something that would offer a bit more of peek into the details. Not the normal X% / X% split across everything that most studies leave you with.

So, some studies:

2 years old yes, but still relatively recent: http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/141/pdf/Usability%20News%20141%20-%20Gender%20&%20Video%20Games.pdf

Software Usability Research
Laboratory (SURL) at Wichita State University.
Most preferred gaming device:

Note, this doesn't mean that there are more men playing PC games or that there are more women playing consoles. or mobile games. Just that for women consoles and handhelds are by far more popular as the main gaming platform than for males. And for males on the other hand PCs as a main gaming platform is by far the most popular.

Preference for violence in the games people play:

Men clearly prefer violent games much more than women.

What kind of gamers do people identify themselves as:

This shows that the more you're playing and the more of a "hobbyist" you are the more likely it is that you're male. Women on the other hand are much more likely to be only occasional gamers or not gamers at all.

And now for the most important table in this study, at least in my opinion.

What does this show us?

Men on average play games ~2.7x as much per week compared to women.
Men on average spend ~3.8x as much money on games compared to women.

Genre preference for men:
-Strategy
-Role Playing
-Action
-Fighting

Genre preference for women:
-Social
-Puzzle/card
-Music/Dance
-Educational
-Simulation

Preference of calling gaming their main hobbby:
Men: Yes
Women: No.

Now, what does all of this mean? It means that for the AAA industry it's men who are more likely to play their violent action and adventure and fps games. It means that it's men who will end up playing their games for a longer time. And it's men who will end up spending considerably more on those games.

Now, there was already a somewhat recent Finnish study (from 2013) posted in the aforementioned thread. Fortunately I'm Finnish so I can actually look at the data and provide some short translations.

study here: http://tampub.uta.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/95150/pelaajabarometri_2013.pdf?sequence=1

First thing to note is that this study is for all gaming. Gambling, tabletop games, and video games.

Sample size was ~1000

One interesting table, the most popular games for men and women. Also includes non digital games:

Women on the left, men on the right.

Short recap since some of the terms are Finnish:

Women:
1)solitaire games
2)mahjong games
3)Angry Birds
4)Candy crush
5)The Sims
6)Sanajahti (this is some finnish word game that I have no clue about)
7)Gambling
8)Beweled Blitz
9)Sudoku
10)Hay day

Men:
1)solitaire games
2)Gambling
3)Angry birds
4)NHL
5)Battlefield
6)CoD
7)GTA
8)Candy crush
9)Tetris
10)Fifa

Now what jumps up from these results? Video games are more likely to be on the most played game lists of men.

Now how a quote instead of a graph:

Miehet käyttävät pelaamiseen selvästi enemmän aikaa kuin
naiset: keskimäärin 6,4 tuntia viikossa verrattuna naisten 3,0
tuntiin viikossa
Translation:

Men spend considerably more time gaming [digital games] than women. On average 6.4 hours per week for men compared to the 3.0 hours per week for women
Again echoing what the previous study said as well, men spend more time playing games than women do. And the difference is much, much bigger than the gender gap would have you believe.

And now for a 2nd interesting graph:

This graphs tells you about how many per cent of women and men play digital games and how many per cent consider themselves active players of those games (instead of just occasional ones).

The results are:

For women:
71.1% play digital games
45.9% consider themselves active players of said games

For men:
76.0% play digital games
59.4% consider themselves active players of said games

What to note? Again, this statistic echoes the previous ones saying that men are more likely to play the games more.

PC gamers specifically?

Now. Since the original thread was also specifically talking about PC gamers and at least some people were making comments about how the "masterrace" is now apparently made out of mostly women, I wanted to address this point as well. The "pcmasterrace" demographic are usually PC gamers who care about hardware, PC gamers who care about graphics, PC gamers who spend huge amounts of money chasing those graphics and buying hardware. Yes there are exceptions and others might have different definitions of the specific demographic, however the fact remains that the people who spend huge amounts of money on hardware and games are a pool of money for companies looking to target the "hobbyist" side of PC gaming.

And since I'm part of that category of people who spend way too much money buying hardware and games I'll let you in on a 'secret' that very often gets disregarded on gaming sites because it's not their primary focus. Men are much more interested in hardware, and especially PC hardware.

~800+ sample size: http://www.overclock.net/t/1417914/poll-are-you-a-guy-or-a-girl

774 men (93%)
50 women (6%)

And the forum is a hardware enthusiast and gaming forum.

--------------

Conclusion

Personally I think the normal 50/50 statistic is almost useless, can't actually be used by people making games, and because of that only leads into arguments on what the term "gamer" means. And what the term itself means is mostly semantics. What matters is actual discussion on what demographics should be targeted when it comes to individual games and genres. For these discussions you really need much more information than how many per cent of men or women play games in general.

My personal belief and guess from looking at the very few available statistics and studies is that in the past and even in the present when it comes to the games people discuss on gaming forums like escapist, neogaf, and games that most gaming media cover, men still have the overwhelming advantage in buying power. However that again is a generalization and what we really should be doing instead of pulling a 50/50 study out of nowhere is to look at specific game series and genres when making arguments on the demographics.

And on an additional note I don't really care about the whole gamergate thing. I've been following various forums for years so of course I'm aware of what's happening. But I think we should just focus on specific issues. I hate politicized yellow journalism, I hate harassing trolls, I hate intellectual dishonesty, I hate moral crusading, I hate far fetched conspiracy theories without proof. I like to have all sorts of gaming niches, I like variety, I think there's room for everyone, but not everyone needs to like everything.

And phew this post that was originally mean to be a reply in the previous thread grew into something else. I feel for you if you've read everything before this line.

Some random questions

-So do you find the use of vague studies with really broad definitions troublesome?
-Is the term gamer just an obstruction for actual discussion on these issues?
-Do you think everyone would just be better off focusing on actual specific issues than trying to sort out some quite meaningless definitions?
-Do you believe that women are as big consumers of AAA games as men are?
-What genres do you think are dominated by women? Which ones by men? Are there any problems with that?
-Biggest case of TL;DR ever?

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
Hmm nice data you have here.

Come to think of it most of my gaming friends are male.
We don't play cow clickers so maybe that's the reason.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I already said something like this in the other thread. There was too little info to know if the claim was correct. (sample size, what questions were asked, etc.) And as I already expected, men are still 'dominant' in digital gaming.

As for the questions:
-Yes I do. It gives people terribly wrong idea's.
-Is the term 'Gamer' important to me? Yes. Do I bring it up often? No, because it barely ever adds to a discussion to go into the details of what is or isn't a gamer.
-I wouldn't say meaningless, even if the topic is meaningless to you. But I do think we would all be better off if we focused on the actual problems in a constructive manner.
-Hell no. It's a lot more common to see female gamers these days, but males are still the majority.
-As you explained in the post, I figured women would tend to play social/casual/sim games more.

All of this being said, I consider any sample size below at least a million or two (across the WORLD, not across a single country or some such, because games are shipped to most of the world) to not be a valid study. You can't get an accurate result when you sample only...what...0.0001% of gamers? That's relatively even less of a sample size than going to a concert and asking a SINGLE person which song they liked best!

doomed89

May 5, 2009
This is all moot though, in the end it doesn't matter what the split is because the demographic that should be targeted for any game is everyone who likes the genre and is above the ESRB rating. The mistake so many companies make is excluding people when they try to advertise their games, that's just plain stupid as games really are for everyone.

Remember that call of duty commercial where there were a ton of people and they were just wearing normal clothes and it was a pretty randomized set of people, that's the most effective kind of advertising, advertising that makes people feel it's okay to play the game despite their age/gender/whatever. It's when companies get so focused on catering to me ages 16-24 that games and the advertising for those games go to crap.

Just make a good game, and show people of all kinds enjoying it, another example would be the original wii commercials.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
So do you find the use of vague studies with really broad definitions troublesome?

Any study with vagueness and broad definitions is a bad idea, more so during this season with all of the politics going around, but more so with varying groups of diverse interests trying to come up with numbers they want to publish versus the real data that doesn't conform with their predetermined outcomes.

I can't see why " Gamer" would be an obstruction, you have to have terms of some kind to relate with the subject matter being discussed. I kind of side toward's " Players" myself for in effect, you are playing a game...and if you are in one, you are pretty much a player. You see the problem with using our form of corrupt English is the negative connotations that have been given otherwise benign words like " player", which can mean pimp or someone trying to get over somebody else. This is what happens when somone is unable to rhyme and decides to bend the pronounciation of words to fit their drivel... or someone infamous uses a word for something and the sheeple have to follow suit.

-Do you think everyone would just be better off focusing on actual specific issues than trying to sort out some quite meaningless definitions?

Well I guestion the entire --- Whose playing more these days --- Men or Women!!!! I would ask -- " Who cares?" The only people that really should care are the devs, markerters, and buisness anaylists of the said game house making these products for people to play. They are the ones that have to know what demograph buys their products, its only common sense --- why would you cater to a wrong demograph that probably won't buy as much versus your core cutomers? The only institution that can do that is Government...but that is only because they are playing other people's money.

For the group that entertains themselves with the AAA market, it probably makes logical sense that anyone who is a gamer, or starting to be one, would gravitate towards AAA titles due to their aviability, popular use, and ease of access because of the marketing and name brand colloboration. I don't normally see someone who is just using a PS4/Xbox1/PC get a Indie game first or some very obscure title as their first played game.

-What genres do you think are dominated by women? Which ones by men? Are there any problems with that?

I'm going to take a guess that the lady gamers are more into RPGs, casual mobile games, and adventure games. The Men probably dominate in RTS's, FPS's, Horror games, and sports.

Are there any problems with that? NO. Why should there be? And why should we always have to create this social/political man vs woman conflict all of the time, I can see studies to figure out where you should point your products towards -- thats a given --- but from my observation through about 10 highly charged posts on this website, its more or less degrades not about gaming, but gender banter. This is the type of stuff we should avoid as escapists because we get enough of this on the street or at the work place. I am sure I am not alone when I say that I can think of about 99,000 other things to do with my fellow lady gammers than attempt to figure out whether they play x more than y --- and if I have a problem with such things. lol

Albetta

Jul 16, 2009
doomed89 said:
This is all moot though, in the end it doesn't matter what the split is because the demographic that should be targeted for any game is everyone who likes the genre and is above the ESRB rating. The mistake so many companies make is excluding people when they try to advertise their games, that's just plain stupid as games really are for everyone.

Remember that call of duty commercial where there were a ton of people and they were just wearing normal clothes and it was a pretty randomized set of people, that's the most effective kind of advertising, advertising that makes people feel it's okay to play the game despite their age/gender/whatever. It's when companies get so focused on catering to me ages 16-24 that games and the advertising for those games go to crap.

Just make a good game, and show people of all kinds enjoying it, another example would be the original wii commercials.

So by your logic, chick flicks shouldn't exist, because they are exclusionary.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Albetta said:
doomed89 said:

So by your logic, chick flicks shouldn't exist, because they are exclusionary.
Where did I say anything about movies? I'm talking about video games. Solid gameplay is solid gameplay and doesn't cater to either gender more the other, if you want to argue story direction or whatever that's all secondary to gameplay imo. Gameplay is what makes a game worth buying, so if you exclude people with your marketing or make a really offensive story to a certain demographic with really no reason other then to slightly cater to the bigger demographic in the gaming industry you're just throwing money away.

Don't get me wrong if you write a story and it just happens to be more in line with one demographic then another that's like whatever, but if when you start writing the story you are writing it for the bigger demographic (in this case what many people would call dudebros) then it's probably going to alienate a lot of people and just plain suck on top of that.

The same goes for gameplay, there really shouldn't be demographics in mind when sorting out the gameplay, that's just going to make the game suck as well, as I said gameplay is gameplay it doesn't cater to any one genre more then the other, and once you got the mechanics sorted out all you have to do is tweak damage and health to make easier modes, the only real exception to that is puzzles but you could provide more hints on easier levels and there's always looking it up on the internet these days.

Are you getting what I'm trying to say?

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
the other thread is pointless and thank you for interesting data
out of all my acquiescences most of the guys play video games and only one girl plays video games in the sense that I mean when I say playing video games not poking at smart phone or browsing stuff at work. Also if you have played MMOs you have to know that you can go up to any character and say hey dude and be right in 90+ percent of the cases. Females are a rare spawn and even most of those are dudes with female characters.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Thank you for making a true in depth statistics that clearly shows what really is the truth. The bottom line is that without farmville and other basic flash games being filled with people that aren't even part of gaming culture, the numbers for female users wouldn't be that high at all. And thus makes the people crying and demanding social justice points mute. The bottom line is this, the majority rule in a capitalist system. Until you clearly are the legitimate majority in gaming communities and culture, your wants and needs come after the wants and needs of the majority. And if the majority of gamers don't care about "woman being represented fairly" well too bad. Gaming culture was founded based on capitalistic ideas. I'm sure one day just like the feminists achieved in real life, you will achieve rights and other things for woman in gaming. But using this false excuse that woman are "the majority" of gaming communities and culture and thus "must" be listened too is no longer sustainable.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
It feels like some people talk about these statistics like it's a bad thing. They try so hard to debunk it. Like they don't want the whole 50/50 gender split to be true.

It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?

Frankly, the way I see it, we still need more. Market to more minorities, get business from them, more money, more profit, game companies can go a few months without massive layoffs, people not using videogames as a wedge to divide people, etc.

Byte2222

Jul 2, 2012
There's really only one thing I want to add to this discussion. In answer to your question:
Alatar The Red said:
Not yet

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Rebel_Raven said:
It feels like some people talk about these statistics like it's a bad thing. They try so hard to debunk it. Like they don't want the whole 50/50 gender split to be true.

It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?

Frankly, the way I see it, we still need more. Market to more minorities, get business from them, more money, more profit, game companies can go a few months without massive layoffs, people not using videogames as a wedge to divide people, etc.
Yeah. Threads like this are kind of irritating, a lot of people making snide comments about casual games or women online being really dudes. Very classy. It does make you wonder why they feel the need to do that.

Also it's very funny that it's either `Women don't play enough games so we shouldn't cater games to them` OR `Women already play the games we make so we shouldn't change anything to cater to them`. Hah.

In other news, I have now discovered in this thread that I am a Unicorn. I feel so special right now you guys.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
-So do you find the use of vague studies with really broad definitions troublesome?
I'm reminded of the quote: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

By nature, any sort of study on these matters is likely to be confounded both by the samples and by the prejudices and goals of those trying to formulate the study. It is incredibly easy to create misleading data on such issues, even if the creators of the study start out with the best of intentions.

Short version: yes. But I don't have an easy solution for rejiggering those "broad definitions" into something more useful or accurate, as my own (or anyone else's) goals and prejudices might also skew the results. So I'm left sighing quietly when people- especially people in the industry- presume they mean more than they do.

Referring to market studies in a broad way, here, gang; not merely ones that believe they isolate factors like gender.

It didn't use to be. Now that people have decided they have stakes in redrawing territorial lines and declaring various groups obsolete...? Yeah, sadly, probably so.

I'm not even certain we can even get people to agree on where issues get "specific" versus "vague", at this point, nor what definitions are "meaningless". There was a time when playing a game with a tank in it wasn't seen by some as an endorsement of militarism, any more than playing cops-and-robbers was an endorsement of broader powers for law enforcement. I'm no longer living in that time.

Across the board, probably not. In some genres, such as RPGs, it wouldn't surprise me if the statistics trickling around had some kind of accuracy; women probably do play those games as much or more than men. I know my wife got to Fallout: New Vegas before I did, and Torchlight, and we've probably sunk near-equal amounts of time into Skyrim.

I'm less aware of women in my social circles playing games like GTA or Saints Row. As for FPSs, I mostly play such games when they have solid single-player; I'm not particularly interested in the often hyper-competitive, smack-talking communities that seem to surround such experiences in multiplayer.

Broad scale? My sense is that first- and third- person shooters and fighting games are dominated by men, RPGs, adventure games, and strategy games are pretty equal (with perhaps a slight trend towards women), and "Sims"-style games (including games like Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life), puzzle games, and hidden object games are dominated by women.

I would like for all kinds of these games to continue being made. There may be a problem in as much as the shooters tend to require bigger budgets to produce on the scale their players expect. I have to confess it wouldn't trouble me much if that sort of money was swung at "Elder Scrolls"-style games more often instead.

While I approve of games being more inclusive (there's nothing wrong with having options to play female characters who aren't dressed like hookers), I think expecting that that alone is going to bring parity and a huge upflux of female players is delusional. From a business standpoint, if a choice has to be made between trying to court female players and not alienating the traditional player-base, I understand sticking to the latter.

(And please, understand I'm not saying that particular conundrum is one that's faced on all issues.)

-Biggest case of TL;DR ever?
Probably not even the biggest case today. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I think the reaction to the 50/50 split studies is due to the fact that people will use them to make a point that things should change. Only then do people take issue with them. If you make changes based on the false 50/50 split purported in these studies you'll actually make things worse.

Acknowledging that there's no 50/50 split and that we shouldn't make games as though there is this split isn't the same as not WANTING for women to play games just as much as men. Also, I don't think games need to change at all for more women to play them more, gaming needs to just be "marketed" as a thing that women also can partake in. Games are fine as they are, women just need to stop seeing it as a guy thing and then they'll play more. More barbie games where you knit or tend to flowers and ponies won't fix this. More low-investment games where you can play them fully in 10 minute spurts won't fix this. More games you never lose with that you can excuse playing due to their social elements won't fix this.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
There was another study on another thread (found here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.860239-Core-Gamers-Mostly-Male-Casual-Gamers-Mostly-Female-Says-NPD?page=1) that showed that 80% of core gamers are men, and 20% of core gamers (people who play mostly AAA games, and over 5 hours a week) were women. This is a much more useful statistic, in my opinion, than the "so broad it's almost meaningless" 50/50 statistic (because if you're making ArmA4, it's wholly irrelevant), or the self-reported, website-based 90%+ men statistics floating around, like your Overclocked and WiiU stat. We got a similar result when surveys are done here... all that means is that people who go to those sites are more likely to report to be men. Women are less likely to do those surveys in the first place, and more likely to report to be the opposite gender when they do - and "does not visit Overclocked" =/= does not play games.

It fits with my experience, too. Sure, I'd honestly be willing to give certain games like Battlefield a 90%+ male player base - I'm virtually always the only woman in a given lobby - but something like Resident Evil or Assassin's Creed or Dragon Age? _Most_ of the players of those games I know are women. Sure that's sampling bias, but I encountered these people randomly and there's no way it's some 99% male player base and I've somehow found the sekrit room of the 1%. 20% sounds about right.

But the thing I noticed, and many other people pointed out in that thread, is that 20% is often more than enough to make or break your profit margin on a game because you've alienated women entirely. If you not only don't make something that appeals to them, but make something that's outright aggravating or off-putting or offensive to them, you could cost yourself a sequel, easily. Myself and just about every female FPS player I know didn't buy Brink when they announced a literal quadrillion different character customization options... but none of them female. It wasn't an organized boycott, but it left a bad taste in our mouths - compare it to something like Battlefield where everybody's playing basically the same avatar, so that DICE can make the "resources/not our priority" argument with a straight face - especially when they advertized as "fully customizable" and "play anything you want" and they somehow forgot about 50% of the human race entirely in that "anything". Annnnnnnnnd Brink undersold its target and didn't get a sequel. If it had had 20% more sales? Plus boyfriends who buy it because their girlfriends are? Who knows. And I can't imagine AAA games that have enormous female fanbases, like the aforementioned Resident Evil or Dragon Age, would be remotely close to as profitable as they are without them.

So should games cater mostly to their larger male audience? Probably. But should they alienate or put off their smaller female audience? Not if they want to be profitable. (Of course it goes without saying that they shouldn't put off their male audience either, and I can't think of a single franchise that's done that, so I think that really does go without saying.)

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Uh, shouldn't there be a no preference choice for the violent or non violent question? Seems like a loaded question if you ask me, my gaming tastes aren't black and white ya know.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
ProfMcStevie said:
Uh, shouldn't there be a no preference choice for the violent or non violent question? Seems like a loaded question if you ask me, my gaming tastes aren't black and white ya know.

I think that boils down to "do most of your favorite games have violence in them or not?". Pretty binary I'd say. (though yes, could be worded better to get to the desired point)

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Dreiko said:
ProfMcStevie said:

I think that boils down to "do most of your favorite games have violence in them or not?". Pretty binary I'd say. (though yes, could be worded better to get to the desired point)
Agreed, poor wording is the absolute bane of any research, one little mix up in wording and people misinterpret. Then you have what could be years of data skewed by one question.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
"It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?"

Sorry, not too keen with the mechanics of quoting yet.

What you've underlined here is a society and social issue rather than games being made. This is pretty much going back to the old Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars type of issue. I mean oddly enough, I imagine there have been many times when someone just happen to get a date because you just come across a male/female whom liked gaming as well --- I've seen it plenty of times alibiet a niche in itself. Just like imagine two grease monkies in some garage hooked up because they were into repairing old cars. I mean the list can go thousands of combinations.

Who gets to decide what a Stigma is? Pop culture? Majority opinion? The views made by men and women? I would think feeling like a looser is a personal issue that delves into how the individual acts.

AAaand if we are speaking about the wonderful gaming community finding common ground and utopia...well they can't find common ground right now with or without the add on of gender wars! Just cruise the forms of IGN, Amazon, and ect. They'll fight and bicker over a ham sandwhich if you let them degrade that far. There's more underlying issues of the game community before all of these Anita posts.