The "50/50 men/women gamers" statistic

Westonbirt

Nov 7, 2013
Gonna adress the two points that I have actual opinions for.

-So do you find the use of vague studies with really broad definitions troublesome?

Yes, because it means people lying to themselves. It's on thing to have a confrontational conversation on gender roles and diversity, what I'm against is using jaunty data to conduct it and ending up in parallel universes with two sets of facts. This isn't politics.

-Do you think everyone would just be better off focusing on actual specific issues than trying to sort out some quite meaningless definitions?

The definitions are important since when we talk about minority representation, we're not talking about sprites in Clash of Clans. We're talking about serious, AAA-games and their content. This is not the turf of occasional players, this is the turf of the 90%+ male, invested player demographic.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
MirenBainesUSMC said:
"It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?"

Sorry, not too keen with the mechanics of quoting yet.

What you've underlined here is a society and social issue rather than games being made. This is pretty much going back to the old Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars type of issue. I mean oddly enough, I imagine there have been many times when someone just happen to get a date because you just come across a male/female whom liked gaming as well --- I've seen it plenty of times alibiet a niche in itself. Just like imagine two grease monkies in some garage hooked up because they were into repairing old cars. I mean the list can go thousands of combinations.

Who gets to decide what a Stigma is? Pop culture? Majority opinion? The views made by men and women? I would think feeling like a looser is a personal issue that delves into how the individual acts.

AAaand if we are speaking about the wonderful gaming community finding common ground and utopia...well they can't find common ground right now with or without the add on of gender wars! Just cruise the forms of IGN, Amazon, and ect. They'll fight and bicker over a ham sandwhich if you let them degrade that far. There's more underlying issues of the game community before all of these Anita posts.
Hard to imagine 2 grease monkies hooking up as it's traditionally a man's job (by the society I know, not by my personal beliefs.), and gay grease monkies are pretty rare, i'd imagine, so 2 meeting would be even rarer. Not saying it's impossible, mind you. I'm not saying it's impossible for any combnation to meet, but bettering the odds can't be a terrible thing.

The stigma? There's a movie quote out there:
"The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."
Not everyone's going to have the personal strength to overcome the bullshit heaped on them by everyone else. It'll wear a person down eventually. You'd think it's a personal issue, but it's not always the person's fault that they have to deal with people making them deal with it. Treat someone, or a group of people like a monster, and eventually they'll become one.

I guess I worded it like I expected gaming to become a utopia among gamers, but no, my faith in humanity in general isn't that high, or else we'd already be there. There'll always be tribal conflict among humnity, I can still hope for a little less, though. :p

Phasmal said:
Rebel_Raven said:
It feels like some people talk about these statistics like it's a bad thing. They try so hard to debunk it. Like they don't want the whole 50/50 gender split to be true.

It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?

Frankly, the way I see it, we still need more. Market to more minorities, get business from them, more money, more profit, game companies can go a few months without massive layoffs, people not using videogames as a wedge to divide people, etc.
Yeah. Threads like this are kind of irritating, a lot of people making snide comments about casual games or women online being really dudes. Very classy. It does make you wonder why they feel the need to do that.

Also it's very funny that it's either `Women don't play enough games so we shouldn't cater games to them` OR `Women already play the games we make so we shouldn't change anything to cater to them`. Hah.

In other news, I have now discovered in this thread that I am a Unicorn. I feel so special right now you guys.

And people wonder why people are complaining about the industry.
"Give up hope, it won't change, shut up" is the vibe I get from a lot of the people that wanna oppose greater representation in video games. There's just too many people for that tactic to work on, and it's been going on way too long.
Honestly, I wonder if these people realize how they come off?
I have no idea why they feel the need to segregate, and stuff.

Yeah, the excuses people come up with to fight change tend to fall flat.

I suppose we still have a long, long way to go so we're not crammed into minority labels.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I dont really have much to add but just wanted to say that was a pretty damn good post OP I would not make the time to put together something like that because frankly I dont care enough but it was nice to read.

Just from the pool of people I know who play games its mostly males who play regularly with AAA games and those who dont play the big games i.e sit down and play games dont actually play games at all I dont know any male who plays predominantly on the mobile or tablet but I know a fair few females who do some exclusively usually while waiting for something or watching tv.

I really only know one female who considers gaming as one of her main hobby with a few more who play on consoles occasionally and none who keep cutting edge PCs for gaming then again I dont know any males who do that any more either the 4 I knew who did that gave up years ago and moved predominantly to consoles except one who plays old games on PC and new ones on consoles but doesn't buy many new games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
-So do you find the use of vague studies with really broad definitions troublesome?

Not in the slightest, especially since the study itself broke things down fine. If you don't like it, don't report it as such, but you're not being any more honest with your response to it than anyone using it to "prove" anything.

-Is the term gamer just an obstruction for actual discussion on these issues?
It shouldn't be.

-Do you think everyone would just be better off focusing on actual specific issues than trying to sort out some quite meaningless definitions?
following up from the above, the issue is that there's going to be "us" and "them" camps with or without the labels and definition of terms is extremely useful for any meaningful discussion. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that to get anywhere meaningful, you're going to have to hash out what you're talking about first.

Hell, this thread only really exists because of a goalpost shift of massive proportions in the last few years. It's gone from "women are a minority in gaming, so shut up!" to "women are a minority in X, Y, and Z fields, so shut up!"

Ignoring the issue that only a couple of years ago those games were the focus because men were the majority, and now the market space for these genres is shrinking (or, more appropriately, stagnating while other genres grow). A couple years ago, the argument by and large was that this is where the money is. Now people bemoan casual games and IAPs because they're only doing it for money.

-Do you believe that women are as big consumers of AAA games as men are?
Define AAA. Then maybe, but I've never particularly known what "AAA" is. It's used almost as loosely as "gamer."

-What genres do you think are dominated by women? Which ones by men? Are there any problems with that?
Don't particularly care, to be honest.

sanquin said:
I already said something like this in the other thread. There was too little info to know if the claim was correct. (sample size, what questions were asked, etc.)
Well, except they did explain methodology and sample size. It was even argued in that thread.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:
Well, especially if you're going to change what's important when it's not convenient anymore.

I have a feeling if millions of women flooded the FPS market, and the culture shifted so that "you play like a man" was the new insult, suddenly there would be much gnashing of teeth and FPS wouldn't "count" anymore.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So the counter to the 50/50 claim from the other thread is even more loaded, limited, and/or vague 'surveys' and 'studies'?

Fuck's sake I haven't seen this much confirmation bias since....well, I honestly can't remember the last time I saw it so blatantly.

In other news, did you know 76% of those surveyed think they're above average in intelligence?

sataricon said:
Come to think of it most of my gaming friends are male.
We don't play cow clickers so maybe that's the reason.
I'm not entirely sure you could be more condescending if you tried. But hey, since we're making sweeping generalizations based on personal experience, I'll make one of my own:

Seeing as almost half of the people on my Steam and Origin Friends lists, specifically with whom I regularly play Left 4 Dead 2, Titanfall, Battlefield, Counter-Strike, Dota 2, etc, are women, clearly 1/2 of all gamers are women. That, and they love to play violent, competitive online games just as much as men do.

Who knew?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
So the counter to the 50/50 claim from the other thread is even more loaded, limited, and/or vague 'surveys' and 'studies'?
This is a post-Fox world, Vigor. The idea is that extreme balance out. Or something.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
While I have been very sceptical on all those gender stats, I'm going to say something that some other people seem to be afraid to say and tend to throw statistics around to be able not to say.

"I'm a white cis male that enjoys video games, when I play games I like to take on a character different from myself, different race, different gender and different sexual oriantation, and not just a player created character but a well rounded character. I would like it if there would be more AA or AAA games that would cater to my tastes"

That isn't be that hard to say? is it?
And can we stop exaggerating a minor gaming demographic to hide that?

Never mind me, I'm just rambling at this point. Sorry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheLastFeeder said:
At this point, you're inferring motives in a way not particularly better than anyone else involved.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
TheLastFeeder said:
At this point, you're inferring motives in a way not particularly better than anyone else involved.
At this point, I'm calling out bloggers and youtubers that normally jump on the next gender survey(taken that it shows a high enough prosentage) and start talking about gender equality instead of just saying: "I'd like a little more variety in my characters".

Most of the gender surveys have ether way to small or localized sample groups or are in general to vague.

To qoute the surveys that the other post talked about. "The backbone of all our research is an internally-built database containing the purchase information for hundreds of games." AKA if you're a kid or teenager and your mom got you the game or it's a gift from your girlfriend, you count as a woman. http://www.superdataresearch.com/terminology/

Or maybe "That?s according to the Internet Advertising Bureau UK (IAB) whose recent survey discovered that females account for 52 per cent of those who?ve played some form of video games in the last six months" Gave Quizup a try a few months ago but quickly gave up? congrats you're a gamer. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/more-women-than-men-play-games-in-the-uk/0138488

Because of the way these surveys are cunducted they are more or less meaningless. Just pick one that fits your needs the best and there you go: something to re-enforce your point.

And I have seen alot of surveys thrown around, with numbers ranging from 70-30 to 30-70. And people keep on trying to use those numbers to drive some point home instead of just saying what they want.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
First Lastname said:
Ariseishirou said:
Myself and just about every female FPS player I know didn't buy Brink when they announced a literal quadrillion different character customization options... but none of them female. It wasn't an organized boycott, but it left a bad taste in our mouths - compare it to something like Battlefield where everybody's playing basically the same avatar, so that DICE can make the "resources/not our priority" argument with a straight face - especially when they advertized as "fully customizable" and "play anything you want" and they somehow forgot about 50% of the human race entirely in that "anything". Annnnnnnnnd Brink undersold its target and didn't get a sequel. If it had had 20% more sales?
Wait, what? I think Brink didn't sell because it was a sub-par game in general, not because it didn't have female customization...
Eh, maybe, maybe not. I would have bought it if it had had female customization. It looked interesting to me otherwise. I know I'm not the only one, either. Maybe being a more interesting game would have meant better reviews, and that would have led to better sales. Maybe if they'd put in female avatars they would have had better sales. They did neither, so the latter certainly couldn't have hurt and the lack of it did actively hurt.

KingDragonlord

Jul 22, 2012
Phasmal said:
Rebel_Raven said:
It feels like some people talk about these statistics like it's a bad thing. They try so hard to debunk it. Like they don't want the whole 50/50 gender split to be true.

It's not like gaming has been welcoming to women to begin with, socially, marketing, the fans, etc.

One way or the other, can't we work on increasing the statistic allowing women to be a larger part of the community? More common ground between the genders, more stuff to talk about, etc? Wouldn't it be awesome that people could get dates BECAUSE of videogames, and not have the awful stigma of being a loser because of them?

Frankly, the way I see it, we still need more. Market to more minorities, get business from them, more money, more profit, game companies can go a few months without massive layoffs, people not using videogames as a wedge to divide people, etc.
Yeah. Threads like this are kind of irritating, a lot of people making snide comments about casual games or women online being really dudes. Very classy. It does make you wonder why they feel the need to do that.

Also it's very funny that it's either `Women don't play enough games so we shouldn't cater games to them` OR `Women already play the games we make so we shouldn't change anything to cater to them`. Hah.

In other news, I have now discovered in this thread that I am a Unicorn. I feel so special right now you guys.

Nobody is saying you don't exist and while I glossed over a little of this thread I didn't see one "girls are dudes" post. Certainly not the OP. In fact, the OP has posted the most solid data I've seen in any forum thread anywhere concerned with this topic.

Its funny you say you want change. A common defense I hear is "nobody is trying to take away your games." Well nobody is saying you can't play these games but if you show up to the table and then say "You have to change this game because I don't like it" you're going to get some complaints from the people who actually like the game as it is.

Why not, instead of saying that every game needs to be broadly inclusive, allow games to appeal to niche interests? Let people who want their adolescent power fantasy have it (there is no shame in power fantasies in video games). Let people who want something else, something that represents them and their interests more, have it.

See I get the impression that the feminist culture critic crowd just plain wants to stamp out anything they don't like. There's a good series of articles by Cathy Young to put this in perspective. The best coverage I've seen so far.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam/1
http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/22/gamergate-part-2-videogames-meet-feminis
http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/01/misandry-in-the-gamergate-controversy

funny thing too, it includes another group of women that people say don't exist or are actually men. But this time its feminists making those claims.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
KingDragonlord said:
Nobody is saying you don't exist and while I glossed over a little of this thread I didn't see one "girls are dudes" post. Certainly not the OP. In fact, the OP has posted the most solid data I've seen in any forum thread anywhere concerned with this topic.

Its funny you say you want change. A common defense I hear is "nobody is trying to take away your games." Well nobody is saying you can't play these games but if you show up to the table and then say "You have to change this game because I don't like it" you're going to get some complaints from the people who actually like the game as it is.

Why not, instead of saying that every game needs to be broadly inclusive, allow games to appeal to niche interests? Let people who want their adolescent power fantasy have it (there is no shame in power fantasies in video games). Let people who want something else, something that represents them and their interests more, have it.

See I get the impression that the feminist culture critic crowd just plain wants to stamp out anything they don't like. There's a good series of articles by Cathy Young to put this in perspective. The best coverage I've seen so far.

http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam/1
http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/22/gamergate-part-2-videogames-meet-feminis
http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/01/misandry-in-the-gamergate-controversy

funny thing too, it includes another group of women that people say don't exist or are actually men. But this time its feminists making those claims.
Pardon me for butting in, and going on a bit of a rant!

While I've not seen "girls don't exist" in these arguments (Though it's a common MMO joke, and was a common gaming meme in general), I don't think I've seen ANYONE say
Why not, instead of saying that every game needs to be broadly inclusive,
I'd like more people to understand that there'll NEVER be that level of control over the gaming industry because there's no force in the world strong enough to censor the world of gaming because games are made internationally. There just isn't a group that's that strong, or cares that much. I can't think of a thing in the world regulated that strongly, and there's stuff the stodgy world deems more important than videogames that'd get censored that much first.

Not only are people not going to take away games, people CAN'T, in short.

But that's just my opinion. I'd be shocked if it did happen.

Yeah, Australia has a censorship thing IIRC, and there's some censorship in other countries, but it's not the same censorship behind it all, nor is it one force working to do this. Regardless, we still have Mass Effect (Banned in one country because of Lesbianism, IIRC), Saints Row 4 (Austrailia nailed it because of the anal probe IIRC), GTAV, and a lot of other games that are intact elsewhere, hence no force in the world having enough power to control games world wide.
People have tried to do the censorship thing in the U.E., Jack Thompson being the only person I can recall actually pursuing it, and being vocal about it, but he certainly failed.
And, yes, I've watched Anita's videos. She's not pushing for it, as far as I can tell, just asking, which is something we all do in videogames, be it a weapon to be stronger, not nerfed, character designs, features, etc.

There won't be checklists, because if people don't have the power to censor gaming that much, they don't have the power to tell the industry what they can, or can't do. Even when people try to be PC (See U.S. 90's cartoons), they don't really, and it'll certainly burn out aside from fringe censorship like pokemon (A few pokemon were altered in color like Jynx, and James with boobs were edited out of the cartoon) and stuff I'd think's not as dire as people think will happen.

Every side's going to have extremists. And every side's going to have the vast majority of non-extremists on the side of their extremists that won't police the extremists at all, not even a "HEY! WHOA! You're going too far there!" when they see such stuff, but believing that the extremists are the majority, speak for everyone, and/or are the face of a movement is something we should remember not to do.

I'll be honest here, I don't follow gamer gate, and I don't really want to. I don't have much details in what it's about (nor do I really want any because there'll always be a bias in the delivery of this information if the person cares about the subject, IMO), but I'd like to think I have enough understanding of the way the world works that I don't really need to since this topic isn't revolving around it.

Where I stand, personally, I just want more diversity in gaming protagonists that have their own story (which excludes create a character stuff, which I do appreciate greatly, but is no stand in). Men, women, LGBT, PoC, straight, I don't want anything obscenely rare, here, which is basically everything but the seemingly default straight white man. That's it, really.

NPCs, people you play temporarily, and so forth just don't mean as much to me.
Hell, NPCs either don't mean anything to me, or are cool enough that I resent not being able to play them, and will likely never get to.
Playing a person temporarily just makes me wanna save before I can, and just replay that section over, and over again.
Character creation forces the script to be unisex by and large, so there's not a whole lot of one gender reacting differently than the other might have, but it's something.

We can have our fan service, our Dead or Alives, our Call of Duties, and everything we already have, but it'd be nice if the industry tried to appeal to more people than they do, and understood that it's often not the fault of the female protagonist (or anyone else other than a straight white male) that a game fails, rather the game around said protagonist. If it were the fault of the protagonist, then straight white males should've been the first to get the bad rep a long time ago, and likely axed since there's been millions of games starring them, and more failed than not. Hell, straight white male isn't really "safe" since it's certainly no guarantee a game will do well. It's not all men can write since pretty much every last female character we have in games were written by men.

I'd like to see change. I'd like to think it's happening, slowly, but we aren't there yet.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Well, especially if you're going to change what's important when it's not convenient anymore.

I have a feeling if millions of women flooded the FPS market, and the culture shifted so that "you play like a man" was the new insult, suddenly there would be much gnashing of teeth and FPS wouldn't "count" anymore.
It's possible, or there'd be the hypocrisy of "So what if women dominate it? We still demand that we have more say in the industry!" from the FPS' present main demographic, or some nonsense like that.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
First Lastname said:
Ariseishirou said:
First Lastname said:
Ariseishirou said:
Myself and just about every female FPS player I know didn't buy Brink when they announced a literal quadrillion different character customization options... but none of them female. It wasn't an organized boycott, but it left a bad taste in our mouths - compare it to something like Battlefield where everybody's playing basically the same avatar, so that DICE can make the "resources/not our priority" argument with a straight face - especially when they advertized as "fully customizable" and "play anything you want" and they somehow forgot about 50% of the human race entirely in that "anything". Annnnnnnnnd Brink undersold its target and didn't get a sequel. If it had had 20% more sales?
Wait, what? I think Brink didn't sell because it was a sub-par game in general, not because it didn't have female customization...
Eh, maybe, maybe not. I would have bought it if it had had female customization. It looked interesting to me otherwise. I know I'm not the only one, either. Maybe being a more interesting game would have meant better reviews, and that would have led to better sales. Maybe if they'd put in female avatars they would have had better sales. They did neither, so the latter certainly couldn't have hurt and the lack of it did actively hurt.
Again, I don't see how something as superficial as female avatars would have somehow constituted better sales. The game was broken at it's core, I doubt being more inclusive would have seen any significant increase. In fact, I'd argue it was the least of it's problems. I'm sure if it was an actually good game it would of sold regardless of whether than had both genders represented or not. Brink was unpopular because it was a broken, half assed game that had very little actual content. This is coming from someone that bought it day one.
You "don't see how" when I've repeatedly told you how? Are you female, or would female avatars have appealed to you? If the answer is no to either of those questions, then yes, it would have been irrelevant. To you. Not to others. I am female, female avatars appeal to me - as they do to many other FPS players of my acquaintance - and the lack of them in Brink's case cost them multiple sales. Repeat that on a broad population spectrum. Probably a great many sales if the 20%-as-core-gamer statistic is accurate.

That is how.

Would the sales have been greater if the game was better? Sure. I literally _just said as much_ in the comment you responded to. But they also would have been greater if they'd bothered to appeal to a greater part of their potential audience. They did neither.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I never like those statistics, they're always misleading. I perceive it as; "well since 50% of gamers are already women, then there's no reason to change ANYTHING, let?s keep on course people, daddy needs a new gold boat."

Gamer culture is heavily male based, heck even the biggest things in the box office that go for a more gender neutrality, are still heavily male influenced. This information is always misleading for devs, particularly start up ones that want to find a good audience. Whilst niches can be worth their salt, theyre only worthwhile if a developer only intends to release that one game.