The 6th month review of 2024

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well I'm bored and we are hitting that halfway point through the year, so I thought it was time to look at the year so far and what's ahead to try and determine where this year is going to sit.

And 2024 was really front loaded with all the hyped releases happening by March. With a few other really nice surprises.

Unicorn Overlord was one of the shocking games for me. I normally hate tactical games like fire emblem and whatnot. But UO stood out by having all the battles happen automatically and the tactics boil down to unit and gear choices. Basically a tactics game a dummy like me can play.

Another game that came out of nowhere for me was Eyudien Chronicles Hundred Heroes. A masterfully traditional JRPG with a huge cast in the vein of Suikeden games but managed to have amazing writing to make all the characters fun to recruit, though you won't use the vast majority of them in combat.

However every year there are disappointments and for me the one disappointment so far is Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth. Functionally the game is great with lots of cool side content to do. However it has the weakest story in any Yakuza game thus far, I even think the story is worse than Yakuza 3 which is usually agreed on as the worst in the series. I just couldn't connect with any aspect of the motivations for this plot and I dont think it worked as a good continuation for Ichiban.

Stellar Blade was the definition of mid imo. A horrible story, horrible level design, horrible platforming, horrible voice acting. But the combat is okay and the main character has a nice ass so goty I guess.

I didnt like Wo Long the last game from the Nioh ninjas over there at Team Ninja, and I was not sold on Rise of The Ronin initially because it really seemed like they were trying to speedrun Fromsofts claim to fame. Souls games being aped by Nioh, sekiro aped by Wo Long, and now Elden Ring. But Ronin is more akin to the Rog AC games over a Fromsoft affair. Namely in that it is fairly easy. The story is bad but gameplay wise it's a nice little roam around collectathon game.

Finally GOTY is, for me, Rebirth. It is the perfect video game that also happens to be Final Fantasy 7 flavored. Unless the showcases in the next few weeks reveal some crazy mindblowing shit, I don't see how anything can come close to the quality and quantity of content that Rebirth had.

What have been yalls highlights of 2024? What is coming later on you have hypes for.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My biggest highlights of 2024 are Hi-Fi Rush on PS5, Missile Dancer II (an excellent After Burner style game that came out this year) playing Redout II (a game from 2022, but I got two days ago), and Mario Wonder (came out in late 2023). I am still waiting on Shadow of The Ninja Reborn (comes out this August), Night Slashers Remake, and Vengeance Hunters. For now, either Missile Dancer II or Shadow of The Ninja Reborn will be my GOTY. I have a big feeling it's going to be the latter when it comes out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've only played 5 games released this year.

Ultros: A metroidvania from Hotline Miami's El Huervo, set in a space station that looks like a trippy album cover from the 60s and structured around a series of timeloops that have you "losing progress" while also managing the stuff that does stick (and change) across cycles. It's not very welcoming and was a bit rough around the edges near launch and if you just want Metroid or Castlevania or Hollow Knight this is not for you. As a lover of offbeat metroidvanias and increasingly into gameplay that evolves with perspective rather than ability gating, I had a blast playing Ultros. It's also some of the most fun I've ever had exploring in an MV.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown: Ubisoft's perfectly serviceable send-up to metroidvanias, with all of the QoL upgrades you expect from AAA. The controls are tight, animation flows beautifully and it's a pleasure to chain movements as you make your way through a fight or a platforming section (some being genuinely challenging). It's just that it has this veneer of blandness about it that speaks to being designed by commitee and being aggressively unmemorable in everything from the story and characters to the atmosphere (music, ambience, aesthetic). The kind of stuff from 2003's Sands of Time that plays rent-free in my head to this day.

Braid: Anniversary Edition: Late to the party, but I really enjoyed finally playing this. There's a case of "been there, done that" in terms of finally playing something that's been so massively influential in so many other games I've played since its release, but nothing to really blot the staying power of Braid.

Balatro: An increasingly addictive roguelike about gaming the system by discovering and honing different synergies between active and passive buffs. It's the fun part of a roguelike, distilled into its most basic, most addictive form. Such is its grip I don't even miss basic stuff like having a more varied OST than a single looping elevator medley.

Foamstars: It sucks.

It's hard to pick a GOTY between these. But if we're counting games I played this year but came out earlier, the undisputed GOTY would be Tunic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Wuthering Waves has great gameplay, and a better world than Genshin, but a Tower of Fantasy tier beginning story, also it gets better towards the end. I am biased since I got great rolls on the gacha without spending a dime. I have a Sephiroth-like character, the main banner character twice so I have him plus his first set of skill upgrades/constellations, and soon I will have the best character in the game who is both a healer and damage buffer due to a 80 pull five start select of which I am 40 pulls in. Even the 'bad' characters of which I have a few are pretty fun to play.

In Honkai Star Rail, I got Jingliu, and Topaz alongside a pretty strong roster... by spending five dollars.

In Genshin my rolls suck I missed the strongest character in the game, but the next one I get will be a niche French dualist so that's cool.

I can't wait to finish a campaign in Three Kingdoms I have trouble setting up mods for more numerous unit sizes.

I have all the endgame guns from the first weapon list on Helldivers.

I suck at Battlefield 2042, and BattleBits since they are multiplayer.

For some reason, despite only doing login rewards I have most of the Tower of Fantasy Wafius. They are getting stale tho every single character is a female-looking character in hot clothing and long hair.

Edit: In Skyrim SE I am up to 1170 mods with 254 large ones, and the rest being smaller mods. I have also been modding Fallout 4.

Edit 2: I have not gotten my mod setup to work on Skyrim SE because the Pandora engine I use doesn't have a paired animation capability.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Unicorn Overlord was one of the shocking games for me. I normally hate tactical games like fire emblem and whatnot. But UO stood out by having all the battles happen automatically and the tactics boil down to unit and gear choices. Basically a tactics game a dummy like me can play.

Another game that came out of nowhere for me was Eyudien Chronicles Hundred Heroes. A masterfully traditional JRPG with a huge cast in the vein of Suikeden games but managed to have amazing writing to make all the characters fun to recruit, though you won't use the vast majority of them in combat.
Suikoden and tactics ogre are just over there, just saying.

I don't think I played any 2024 game in 2024...

I guess my standout stuff that I did play this year would be:

Crystal project, FF5, minus story but with open world and lots of exploration/metroidvania.

Pseudo regalia, N64 ish 3D metroidvania. Great exploration, and nice bit size length.

Settlement survivor, banished 2.0 essentially.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Suikoden and tactics ogre are just over there, just saying.

I don't think I played any 2024 game in 2024...

I guess my standout stuff that I did play this year would be:

Crystal project, FF5, minus story but with open world and lots of exploration/metroidvania.

Pseudo regalia, N64 ish 3D metroidvania. Great exploration, and nice bit size length.

Settlement survivor, banished 2.0 essentially.
@CriticalGaming too, I've been playing more games from 15-20+ years than 2024 earlier this year. I did do Double Dragon Gaiden again with the update a month ago. I'll do so more sessions later. I played Final Vendetta on Steam, because of a deep sale.

• Crisis Beat
  • Dino Crisis 2
  • Panzer Bandit
  • Battletoads & Double Dragon
  • The Rushing Beat Trilogy
  • Final Fight 2 Modded/Adjusted
  • Final Fight GBA
  • Strider 2
  • Gekido
  • Prodeus on PS5
  • Supplice

Reactions: meiam

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Literally nothing has come out yet this year that interests me.

I mean, Rebirth, but I'm waiting until all 3 games are out so I can get them all as a single trilogy.

Thankfully, last year was so packed that I'll probably be spending 2 years getting through just the game of the year contenders from 2023. I'm still working on BG3, and I still want to play FF16, which combined have like 300-400 hours of content so I'm set for a while, and the Elden Ring DLC is just around the corner.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
2024 is a year that will be defined by the undefinable. It is a transition period. Since 2023 was such a monster with all the post-pandemic spew of dozens of critically acclaimed games, we knew this would be a small year, but then all the industry cataclysms add to that.

For me, this is the year I mostly disengage with the BIG games- finishing stuff is really important to me.
The only BIG game I played so far in 2024 is Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth and the only other BIG game I see myself playing later in the year will be AssCreed: Japan.
I enjoyed Rebirth mostly but also found a lot of it to be stupid and pointless.

So far this has been the year of the metroidvania, a genre I don't play that much of because I get frustrated by the backtracking and the big beloved ones have been accompanied with Dark Souls poison (e.g., Hollow Knight). But we got some babbie metroidvanias I liked:
- Ultros
- Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
- Tales of Kenzara: Zau

All pretty good, none that I'm gonna ever put on any GOAT lists.

And my only platinum trophy of the year so far with Another Crab's Treasure as my epilogic farewell to the soulslike genre.