The Akira Project Finishes Its Live-Action Akira Trailer

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
The Akira Project Finishes Its Live-Action Akira Trailer

<youtube=t1GO-93Nt3c>​
The Akira Project presented its results of a crowdfunding campaign that funded the creation of a fanmade live-action adaptation of Akira.

The Akira Project raised almost $3,500 in 2012 to recreate the manga turned animated film Akira as a live-action trailer. The fan project recently completed the trailer and released it online for everyone.

Producer and director Nguyen-Anh Nguyen, who was inspired to get into filmmaking after watching Akira, led the non-profit project. What started out as an idea to film the character Kaneda riding through Neo-Tokyo on his bike became a much larger project with a big team of people from 12 different countries.

Executive producer Osric Chau (Supernatural's Kevin Tran) also played the role of Kaneda. Xavier Yuvens plays the role of Tetsuo. The whole team is listed on the Akira Project website [http://www.akira-project.com/team/].

The trailer breaks down the film into much shorter segments to tell the story from beginning to end. However, to those who are unfamiliar with the source material, the brief retelling done through the live-action trailer may seem disjointed and confusing.

Along with a great recreation of Kaneda's red bike, the computer graphics show off the destruction of Tetsuo's powers. The trailer isn't a big budget feature-length movie, but it's a nice teaser of what fans expect out of a live-action adaptation of Otomo's manga and anime.

Hollywood has been working on a live-action Akira film, adapting Katsuhiro Otomo's animated film, though this has met its fair share of resistance with fans who do not want a white-washed film adaptation of a Japanese work.

Source: Akira Project [http://www.akira-project.com/]

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Oh I seen this yesterday.. I really hope they manage to pull off a full movie. Didn't like a few artistic choices, but hey thats to be expected. Really excited to see the final product.

If you haven't seen the original. See it.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
LOL at Deus Ex music. But other than that, well... the standard has been set, your move Hollywood.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"(Supernatural's Kevin Tran)" Hell yeah! :D

He's quite a good actor, and at least he looks like Kaneda.
Contrast that with the earlier rumors about Keanu Reeves... *rolls eyes*

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
roseofbattle said:
Executive producer Osric Chau (Supernatural's Kevin Tran) also played the role of Kaneda.
I thought that was him! For all the flak Kevin got on Supernatural's IMDb forum, I liked the character, mostly because of the actor.

Now to actually see Akira, before the movie is released.

Wan't James Cameron interested in making a live action Akira movie at some point?

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Using the Wilhelm Scream is an instand No no. It is simply reached a point where the Wilhelmscream beeing in anything will rip me out of the Experience.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Wow that was pretty awesome... would love to see the wohle movie made by these guys ^^

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Looks fucking awesome! Much better than any what I would expect from the inevitable Michael Bay version.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And this is why we leave Akira alone.

The awkward pronunciations of the Japanese names alone made me what to kill myself.

And nothing a live-action budget can conjur could ever compete with the amazing visuals of the animated movie.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Rellik San said:
LOL at Deus Ex music. But other than that, well... the standard has been set, your move Hollywood.
I actually cracked up when I heard the Howie Scream. That sound effect always reminds me of Starcraft [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WimCPUkQY].

felixader said:
Using the Wilhelm Scream is an instand No no. It is simply reached a point where the Wilhelmscream beeing in anything will rip me out of the Experience.
I think you have your screams mixed up.
[HEADING=2]Vs[/HEADING]

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
valium said:
They would need to get someone damn good with CGI to handle the last 20 minutes of Akira, with the expanding mass of Tetsuo.
AAAAAAAGHHHHH, I spent years upon years to bury that memory where it could not be unearthed!

But well, R.I.P. yet again, Tokyo. Keeping an eye on this.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well done, pretty close ot the Anime.
However Hollywood will fuck it up. 0 Chance these idiots getting it right.

Mar 26, 2008
Colour me impressed! It almost looks like a beat for beat adaptation of the anime. Osric Chau has the acting chops. I thought he was good as Kevin.

At least it's not set in Neo-Manhattan.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Atleast theycan do it fucking better than Hollywood was trying to do. I'm actually interested.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Damn it, this reminded me that I still haven't seen the entire original movie yet. It does look like they've done a good job so far, though it's easy to make the trailer look good.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
This was impressive as hell. The black explosion especially was outstanding.

The only issues I had were with the actor for Tetsuo (just looked kinda weird, I guess), and the fact that the soundtrack wasn't the iconically cool one from the original. Still, these problems are trivial, and they really did an excellent job. Congrats to them, and maybe whoever's working on the actual movie should pay attention?

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Hmm... Looks pretty good. Pretty amazing for an independant fan-film.

Too bad they couldn't hire any hydrocephalitic actors to make it look more like the original ;P

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Fijiman said:
Damn it, this reminded me that I still haven't seen the entire original movie yet. It does look like they've done a good job so far, though it's easy to make the trailer look good.
Do you like over complexity in story telling, awkward philosophical shoe horning, the colour grey, a tone so prone to shifting it'll give you whiplash?

If not you'll hate it.

If you're here for some down right jaw droppingly beautiful animation and a (albeit confused) message about the atomic age and how absolute power corrupts absolutely?

If so you'll love it.

So anyone want the ending explained? :) It actually took me watching it silent (well, in a night club with heavy metal blaring over it) to figure it out;
It's effectively how out of destruction and tragedy that only man can rebuild the world, but only if he doesn't fear what he doesn't understand, the bits with Kaneda at the end going through the memories is meant to be the collective knowledge of what happens when fear is allowed to control powers it doesn't understand. Showing him in the hopes that rebuilding (something the Manga actually goes into) can happen without fear.

Told you it was ham fisted. :)