The Akira Project Finishes Its Live-Action Akira Trailer

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Flutterguy said:
If you haven't seen the original. See it.
I think you mean "read the original". Or if you didn't, go read the original.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, I don't see why it's necessary to do any of this, but now it's a challenge to Hollywood. Ya better do good.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
It looks...OK, I guess. Something that was bugging me the whole time I was watching it, though, was the sound. It didn't SOUND like Akira. For reference, this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM68rfDS7Jw] is what Akira sounded like. It's soundtrack is one of the best in the history of soundtracks. Ever. And while I think they were trying to incorporate that at the end, it...kinda fell flat to me.

Rellik San said:
So anyone want the ending explained? :) It actually took me watching it silent (well, in a night club with heavy metal blaring over it) to figure it out;
It's effectively how out of destruction and tragedy that only man can rebuild the world, but only if he doesn't fear what he doesn't understand, the bits with Kaneda at the end going through the memories is meant to be the collective knowledge of what happens when fear is allowed to control powers it doesn't understand. Showing him in the hopes that rebuilding (something the Manga actually goes into) can happen without fear.

Told you it was ham fisted. :)
I disagree with your interpretation, at least in part. I always thought the film[footnote]I haven't read the manga, so I won't speak for that[/footnote] was about agency, and how a lack of it can have profound and immeasurably destructive consequences later in life. The psychic power was a metaphor for the potential that each generation possesses. That's why there's such a stark contrast between Tetsuo and the psychic children; not just in the scale of their powers, but in their personalities. The psychic children came from a generation where children were taken care of and were given a place in the world. Tetsuo comes from a generation where children are discarded like trash because the world has no place for them. Something like Tetsuo was going to happen eventually; if it wasn't a lone psychic with deistic power, it would have been tens of thousands of protesters armed with moltov cocktails and baseball bats.

The point of the film was that if you don't treat the generation that comes after yours with respect, then you're digging your own grave.

At least that's the broad strokes version. It's...it's about a lot more than that, and I could write a paper on it if I felt inclined to. But that's the most important theme I took from the film.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
felixader said:
Using the Wilhelm Scream is an instand No no. It is simply reached a point where the Wilhelmscream beeing in anything will rip me out of the Experience.
That's not the Wilhelm scream. This is
That's the Howie Long scream.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
After seeing Kaneda's bike and SOL, I'm sold.

The teaser is looking really good.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Sol_HSA said:
Flutterguy said:
If you haven't seen the original. See it.
I think you mean "read the original". Or if you didn't, go read the original.
I actually started reading it a week ago, pretty engrossing series, but still knowing the outcome does kill it a little for me.

I imagine people are much more likely to watch a two hour anime then flip through a bibles worth of comic. Now if we were talking Walking dead I'd recommend the comic series and denounce the show. That is an example of a poor adaption.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Any chance we could get the Akira Project crew behind the proposed live action adaptation rather than the fraudulent douche-bags that are working on this right now?

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
felixader said:
Using the Wilhelm Scream is an instand No no. It is simply reached a point where the Wilhelmscream beeing in anything will rip me out of the Experience.
They've got the Howie scream rather than the Wilhelm. I cringe everytime I hear it - audio mixing isn't easy, but compared to the video editing here, it clearly isn't the most taxing part of the production. They even did a fair amount of mixing/engineering to disguise it a bit, so what was the point? Get in front of a mic and record some original audio.

Seriously that stock audio is probably more ubiquitous than the Wilhelm at this point. Like you, it rips me right out whatever I'm viewing and then I feel done with it. Even Hollywood is still using it - do they think no one notices? It's unfortunation because this trailer is ambitious, well-conceived, and well-executed. It doesn't need garbage stock shouting to cheapen it.

*steps down from soapbox* This did look cool, and it was exiting to see a taste of what a live action interpretation could be.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Hollywood still owns the rights. This will be shut down so hard it's not even funny.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
I feel bad, I thought it was average :(

I think it's down to there being so many high(er?) calibre fan-made shorts that have just worked better for me.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Watchmen had a movie. It was deemed "unfilmable" by its creator. I say Akira is the same. There's so much content in the six volumes that if you want the full experience, it would have to have sequels. And not just that, there's teenagers unrepentantly doing drugs and

Tetsuo making a religion centered around him and maintaining a personal harem.

Are sure to make the censors and moral guardians grab their pitchforks.