The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Private life with my remaining apes is the weirdest shit. Has he like printed them out (is he allowed to do that?!) and sellotaped them to Barbie figures or something? Is this ************ sitting around, drinking fake tea at a fucking tea party with a collection of sellotape-faced Barbies?! Is that how the world is now?!

Reactions: BrawlMan

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Private life with my remaining apes is the weirdest shit. Has he like printed them out (is he allowed to do that?!) and sellotaped them to Barbie figures or something? Is this ************ sitting around, drinking fake tea at a fucking tea party with a collection of sellotape-faced Barbies?! Is that how the world is now?!
Here's something for you to ponder: how many bored ape sex dolls exist in the world?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Meh, it's web3 fuckery related, so I guess this should go here.
Lol, the word 'could' is doing some herculean heavy lifting here

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Also "study commissioned by Facebook Owner" helps contextualise their claims quite clearly there.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Metaverse could be worth billions says company that desperately needs you to buy into the metaverse.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
'trust me, bro'
So Reuters wrote that article right? Check out what Business Insider wrote a day before:

Sometimes I question what comes out of BI because they clearly have some preferred vendors, but this is a really thorough article talking about why the whole thing is donion rings.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Sometimes I question what comes out of BI because they clearly have some preferred vendors, but this is a really thorough article talking about why the whole thing is donion rings.
Interesting stuff, but I don't think they are exclusive visions. A more "complete" virtual playground can easily coexist with AI, because the two have different functions. Arguably, of course, they have synergy, because a Metaverse can be massively enhanced with AI.

I'd argue a metaverse (or several) is almost inevitable end in some form, as a deeply immersive online environment where people can build their own little digital room/realm and it really will be worth a massive load of money. Where Meta might be going wrong is trying to push it long before it's in a state to be taken up and appreciated by the masses.

I certainly know I look at their marketing with super, non-threatening, cutesy avatars in middle class, aspirational, virtual environments and it puts me off. It's the vision of a metaverse by some boring desk-jockey determined to be as anodyne and inoffensive as possible. I think the growth of the metaverse, like the internet itself, will start from fringe and often younger groups interested in novelty, who get into them early. The masses then spend years deriding those early users as geeks and losers until the masses finally twig how ace some of the stuff going on is.

So they should be pitching the metaverse to the weird, the outsiders. I'm not exactly the most adventurous person in the world, but I'd be making something like a brooding, empty, grimdark spaceship / station dripping mystery and potential threat, not a fucking picturesque glamping dome and campfire next to a lake. Executives and venture capitalists would look at the sort of thing I and other people potentially interested would do and think "WTF?", because they don't get it and never will. But they do provide the capital Meta wants, which is why Meta is pitching lame crap to the wrong people. No wonder the world looked and shrugged, and Meta had to start rowing back.

Look, people are going to work on metaverses, including Meta. It's going to be years, even decades. Its time will come, and a few pioneers will get going, and then everyone else will wake up and pay attention... and at that point - boom! But it's not in a place now where fusty economics journos and 70-year-old institutional investors are going to get excited in a way they will over the much more graspable idea of AI.

Reactions: EvilRoy

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
So they should be pitching the metaverse to the weird, the outsiders.
Yes but no but mostly yes... What you're advocating for is a grassroots supported metaverse (you commie) where you let communities form and develope with the tools to create whatever the fuck they want and let shit rip from there (as you say, pretty much how the internet grew in the 90s). Most of the metaverse concepts we're seeing are top-down corporates vision, all fenced in and tidy, ready for general consumption... or they're crypto/NFT scams with an extra layer of paint. Boring as shit and offering nothing new.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
So they should be pitching the metaverse to the weird, the outsiders. I'm not exactly the most adventurous person in the world, but I'd be making something like a brooding, empty, grimdark spaceship / station dripping mystery and potential threat, not a fucking picturesque glamping dome and campfire next to a lake. Executives and venture capitalists would look at the sort of thing I and other people potentially interested would do and think "WTF?", because they don't get it and never will. But they do provide the capital Meta wants, which is why Meta is pitching lame crap to the wrong people. No wonder the world looked and shrugged, and Meta had to start rowing back.
Have you seen what those guys get up to in Second Life?!

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes but no but mostly yes... What you're advocating for is a grassroots supported metaverse (you commie) where you let communities form and develope with the tools to create whatever the fuck they want and let shit rip from there (as you say, pretty much how the internet grew in the 90s). Most of the metaverse concepts we're seeing are top-down corporates vision, all fenced in and tidy, ready for general consumption... or they're crypto/NFT scams with an extra layer of paint. Boring as shit and offering nothing new.
There's no reason that Meta's own product cannot give these communities the tools to create the crazy, amazing shit they want. But Meta is probably also terrified about the idea, that the usual "moral majority" types will notice and heap bad press on Meta for supporting degenerate, corrupting media for vulnerable young adults. (Like they did with television, video cassettes, D&D, computer games, etc.) I mean, more bad press than they already do over Facebook.