The Amazing Spider-Man Review

gambler778

Nov 18, 2009
You can just hit B to back out of Web Rush. I found that out in the first five minutes. If you're going to review a game, at least make sure your facts are correct.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I enjoyed it- if I recall, combat was the worst part of Spider-Man 2, and it was vastly improved here. Sneaking around the roof, then tapping a guy on the shoulder and zipping him up to the ceiling never really stopped being fun.

I also thought Peter's dialogue was pretty decent- some of his lines were very Ultimate Spider-Mannish, which is always a plus with me.

I'll agree with the general consensus on the swinging, though- no strings attached swinging might make those outdoor boss battles more cinematic, but it's the main reason I stopped playing after I finished the story. Swinging was fun (Especially interspersed with some web-rushing across the light poles), but only as a way to get from A to B. Spider-Man 2? I still play that, purely for the swinging.

Oh, yeah, and petty crimes aren't infinitely repeating this time around, which was kinda disappointing.

EDIT: Also, Peter was voiced by Donatello, from that 2003 TMNT cartoon. Is that a positive point for anyone? Well, it should be.

Sanya Rai

Jul 10, 2012
Oh boy! I totally loved this one. I've been a greatest fan of Spiderman cartoon from my childhood. But the previous flicks on Spiderman disappointed me way too much. But this attempt of Mark Webbs....oh that is too good! It was kind of deja-vu for me. I watched it at Wave Cinema, Delhi and the 3D effects and sound effects were cool. Totally loved it!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
it looks fun enough to me to warrant a try (more than I can say for the Spider-Man 3 game that's for sure). if the Web Rush helps improve combat, especially indoors, then I'm all for it.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
*sigh* I know I went on about this a bit earlier, but I've been thinking about it some more and it's really starting to get to me:

What the hell was Beenox thinking with their decision to make random crimes a finite thing? I guess they're treating everything in the game as one unified whole that you're meant to re-experience by starting over. But I'm sorry, even considering putting a cap on the number of crimes completely flies in the face of what made us love open-world Spider-Man to begin with. When I originally beat the story in Spider-Man 2, I kept playing the same file for weeks. It was just so much fun to swing around New York and stop crimes. Once you beat the story in Amazing, you can do this for maybe half an hour until you literally can't do it anymore. Imagine if after you beat the story in Grand Theft Auto, you weren't allowed to fire guns anymore. Or once you beat Red Dead Redemption, random events would stop happening and all you could do is aimlessly wander the frontier. That's what this feels like to me.

What makes this so aggravating to me is that other than this downright stupid design choice, the game is AWESOME. It comes so, so close to knocking Spider-Man 2 off the top of my list, but because of this one major issue it gets held back. What the fuck, Beenox? Seriously.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Hmm sounds good but the question is does he make extremly lame puns? That my friend is the true measure of any a spidy game!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
knight steel said:
Hmm sounds good but the question is does he make extremly lame puns? That my friend is the true measure of any a spidy game!
I always find bad puns to be second to webslinging. After all, Ultimate Spider-Man had a lot of bad puns, but mostly mediocre webslinging.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
so the webs just grab on to air. i liked the spiderman 2 game, you needed buildings around in order to swing. every spiderman game i play i compare to 2 and it never seems as good.
Agreed. That made me feel like Spider-Man because it was more realistic, even for a super hero game.

It gave me such pride that I, like Spider-Man, used the tall buildings to successfully navigate the city. Sure it made it alittle harder, but gave you so much more satisfaction.

Especially when I intentional move next to a building to catapult myself strictly because its one of the taller buildings in the area.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
knight steel said:
I always find bad puns to be second to webslinging. After all, Ultimate Spider-Man had a lot of bad puns, but mostly mediocre webslinging.
OMG!! I can't believe it Zachary Amaranth is talking to me *squee* this the first time here on the escapist were an wellknown escapist members has quoted me I'm so happy ^_^.

Yeah but like you said web-slinging/arcrobatics and the puns plus a nice looking open world city is what i really love about spidey games.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
knight steel said:
Yeah, but who cares about webslinging when you can just turn into Venom and eat people?!

Seriously, I don't even remember completing that game, I kept getting distracted by my ability to throw cars at people and then eat the screaming bystanders.

...I guess that means I'm pretty fucked up, but sweet bippity it was fun...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
knight steel said:
OMG!! I can't believe it Zachary Amaranth is talking to me *squee* this the first time here on the escapist were an wellknown escapist members has quoted me I'm so happy ^_^.
Really? In three years? Wow.

knight steel said:
Yeah but like you said web-slinging/arcrobatics and the puns plus a nice looking open world city is what i really love about spidey games.
As stated above; ability to become Venom and eat people. All of the people. That attribute absolutely cannot be understated. Like, imagine if Prototype had been fun and...wait...now that I think of it, isn't Alex Mercer like a more tooled-up version of Venom from the Ultimate Spiderman game? Eat people for health, whiplash tentacley attacks, zipping about the city fighting soldiers and so on...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, it's just like Spider-Man 2 (The Game), which I already own and therefore have no reason whatsoever to go out and buy this one. Got it.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Spider-man 2 was the best Spider-man game made so far. Loads of side-missions, upgrades, best web swinging, okay/good story.

Off-topic: "I don't like change!"-Stewie Griffin. For the new forum layout.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm hearing quite a few complaints about the story. Who wrote it, anyway? If it was one of Marvel's Comicbook writers, then what's his excuse for doing a bad job, if that's the case? The story for CAPTAIN AMERICA : SUPER SOLDIER was written by Christos Gage, and he's alright. Not as good as Ed Brubaker, but better than others.