The ASL Ice bucket challenge is satanic according to one nut job... OR! I'm missing the joke.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
http://news.yahoo.com/ice-bucket-challenge-satanic-ritual-explains-troubled-writer-183406572.html

OK first read the story, just do that first. Done? GOOD! Now can you tell me, was that a joke or not? Because Poe's law is in full effect here. Here's the thing. I am a Christian, have been all my life, making the decision to believe, official, in my teens. However I grew up in church and doing so, I heard some whacked out ideas involving what is or isn't satanic/going to send you to hell by various nut jobs. Hell my father looked me directly in the eye when I was six and told me if I watch Eureekas' Castle that "I would go to hell" /endquote.

Yes that Eureeka's Castle.

So some one claiming that The ASL Ice Bucket challenge is satanic is something I could hear someone actually saying with all sincerity. But it's also something I could see on in an Onion type article, so can somebody illuminate me as to whether or not this is a goof, and if it isn't can you offer me a shoulder to weep profusely on?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Looks legit.

But, eh, there's always some. There's been worse stuff posted in this forum.

And, eh, you're going to hell anyway for watching Eureeka's Castle, so I wouldn't worry about it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The part that really interested me was the evangelist's assessment of Oprah. It sounds like he/she? cannot fathom the idea of someone living without having God constantly in his or her thoughts.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let's put it this way: if that guy is right about Oprah, then watching Jimquisition is getting a free ticket for the 9th circle of Hell. Anyway, don't worry. Oprah didn't start the Ice Bucket Challenge. Just don't praise her as if she was a goddess (just in case).

Mewens

Nov 29, 2013
I'm not going to delve into WorldNetDaily to confirm that the "Challenge of SATAN!" article ran there, but that website's a well-known hive of feverish lunacy. The story's plausible, but we can all rest easy that WND isn't exactly a mainstream source.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well the general idea of the ice bucket challange is to feel what it's like to have ALS which I guess is shivering and lose control of the limbs etc (don't asked me for the specific, I haven't looked up the exacy detail to ALS) so yeah, that person is clearl missing the point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Let's put it this way: if that guy is right about Oprah, then watching Jimquisition is getting a free ticket for the 9th circle of Hell.
And if thanking God for Jim is wrong, do we want to be right?

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Well the general idea of the ice bucket challange is to feel what it's like to have ALS which I guess is shivering and lose control of the limbs etc (don't asked me for the specific, I haven't looked up the exacy detail to ALS) so yeah, that person is clearl missing the point.
But that's not even remotely what ALS is like, though.

The basic idea is: donate a lot of money, or donate some money and do something mildly annoying to yourself, in this case: drop a bucket of ice water over your head.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
Scarim Coral said:

The basic idea is: donate a lot of money, or donate some money and do something mildly annoying to yourself, in this case: drop a bucket of ice water over your head.
Dumping a bucket of ice water on your head is mildly annoying?
are you some kind of penguin-human hybrid?

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
CaitSeith said:
Let's put it this way: if that guy is right about Oprah, then watching Jimquisition is getting a free ticket for the 9th circle of Hell.
We'd find a level of hell that Dante never dreamed of if we watched Jim watching Fraggle Rock.

Imagine the horrors: having your eyeballs plucked out and the rest of your body quartered, thrown into a Cuisinart, and your sentient soup shoved into a microwave for all eternity while your intact eyes watch you going around and around. Worse still, your bubbling remains feel every second of the microwave's searing heat. Then you get an everlasting case of radiation poisoning. Ooooh...

An ice bath at that point would be like a gift from heaven. So there -- "proof" that the ice bucket challenge can't possibly be satanic. ;)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There are some people so deeply involved in their delusions that they'll latch onto anything even mildly popular in an attempt to get their voice heard, no matter how innocuous or unrelated that thing may be.

I feel sorry for these people for roughly one and a half minutes or so, hope they find help, and then go about my day.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
lionsprey said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Scarim Coral said:

Dumping a bucket of ice water on your head is mildly annoying?
are you some kind of penguin-human hybrid?
It's a bit cold for the one or two minutes it takes to grab some new clothes.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
My boss and I came up with a very, very bad taste joke about this, which I hesitate to share because, well. If I hide it in a spoiler alert, will that avoid mod-wrath?

So, did you hear about the ISIS-bucket challenge? You behead someone online then nominate two other people to do the same thing. For charity!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
chiggerwood said:
http://news.yahoo.com/ice-bucket-challenge-satanic-ritual-explains-troubled-writer-183406572.html

OK first read the story, just do that first. Done? GOOD! Now can you tell me, was that a joke or not? Because Poe's law is in full effect here. Here's the thing. I am a Christian, have been all my life, making the decision to believe, official, in my teens. However I grew up in church and doing so, I heard some whacked out ideas involving what is or isn't satanic/going to send you to hell by various nut jobs. Hell my father looked me directly in the eye when I was six and told me if I watch Eureekas' Castle that "I would go to hell" /endquote.

Yes that Eureeka's Castle.

So some one claiming that The ASL Ice Bucket challenge is satanic is something I could hear someone actually saying with all sincerity. But it's also something I could see on in an Onion type article, so can somebody illuminate me as to whether or not this is a goof, and if it isn't can you offer me a shoulder to weep profusely on?
*shits self* Holy shit, I completely forgot about Eureka's Castle. Thank you for reuniting me with this piece of my childhood! Oh, and Face. God I miss being a kid sometimes. *drinks a beer* Okay, now not so much.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Isn't World Net Daily the "Obama[footnote]Don't forget to check out the photos of his tail on the next page too![/footnote] is a secret Muslim thats in a gay marriage to his transsexual wife Michelle" website? If its the one I'm thinking of accusing a viral charity campaign of being Satanic is probably par for the course.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I've met people who seriously believe that the moon is a hologram, that crystals have healing powers, that faith healers can heal amputees, that Harry Potter is satanic. So, yeah, I can totally believe that someone might call the Ice Bucket Challenge satanic.

Interestingly, real life satanism (or at least LaVeyan satanism) is a philosophy that's mostly quite agreeable. It's designed to mock strict religious dogma and emphasise personal freedom, although I disagree with their idea that selfishness is ok.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I was called Satanic because I played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on a plane by some old lady.

I then told her that her book she was reading contains lesbian sex. (I don't even know what the hell she was reading)

She threw it away and was forced to watch me play my "satanic" game for the rest of the flight. (No in-flight movie)